Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newb' mistake...
Republic of Gamers - Maximus VIII Hero, Core i7-6700K SkyLake 4.0GHz LGA 1151, Intel SSD 600P Series 512GB, GeForce GT 740 SC. and 16gb 2x8gb Corsair Vengenance LPX DDR4 3000MHz Ram.
So I've made some progress. I took the video card out and booted up.. same deal... so i then took the m2 drive out and the machine would then at least boot to the USB and get to the point i could install OSX. So i put in another thumb drive and i wipe that. Im going to try and make that a bootable OS X. for right now till i can run to the store to just grab another hard drive.

It seems lots of people have complications getting up and running when using NVMe M.2 SSDs. Maybe it's a good idea to install on a traditional hard drive or SSD first, then, once everything is working, try cloning to the NVMe M.2 SSD. I think this would eliminate lots of issues and can help greatly with troubleshooting.

The GTX 760 at $49 sounds like a good buy. Go for it. My EVGA GTX 760 works great.

Ok. Got the 760 for $54, so not bad. BF sales next week will polish off the rest of the build parts (Microcenter, here I come...)

I'd love another opinion on the m.2 drive. The ahci version of the 512gb is getting harder to find and the best price I can currently find is at Newegg through your link in the build description, but it's $500. The 512gb 950 pro nvme is only $315.

Stork, it seems that after dealing with nvme on Gene, you chose the ahci model for your Hero buiid. If you had that choice to make now with pricing as it is, what would you do. Have you had any issues with the nvme drive. My first goal is stablility as I'm often traveling and family will rely on the machine when I'm not around to fix it...

Thanks!

Stork, it seems that after dealing with nvme on Gene, you chose the ahci model for your Hero buiid. If you had that choice to make now with pricing as it is, what would you do. Have you had any issues with the nvme drive. My first goal is stablility as I'm often traveling and family will rely on the machine when I'm not around to fix it...

Thanks!
Given your situation, I would opt for the M.2 AHCI SSD blade or, until the new Samsung M.2 AHCI blades hit the market, get a 120GB SSD for $50 to use initially as it will be family proof. :thumbup:

The M.2 NVMe SSD blades are like the Nvidia web drivers - you have to wait for an update, and you need a virgin installation to generate the latest NVMe kext.

So i did just that, put a 256gb SSD in there, got it up and running. However now, I can't see the drive in OS X Recovery or OS X in general. However in Clover I still see it upon booting up where i select the drive to boot to, if i try to open the M.2 Drive i get that no entry circle. The 2.5 SSD works great.... Ive redone the tutorial here for the m.2 drive https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/nvmefamily-kext-bin-patch-data/

So I'm not sure...

On a Sidenote: I did remove the GT740 card and replaced it with the Radeon GX480. I'll report back on this once i get it full up and running.

Thanks you the support/help. I appreciate all the incredible information on this community.

- John

Quick question I have the same setup as Stork but with an i5-6600K. Is it normal during the MacOS set for it not to be able to pick up my Ethernet connection?

Since you have an i5-6600K, make sure you use the correct SSDT (i5-6600K) for power management.

If you are installing from the UniBeast created USB thumb drive, you should be able to access a network via Ethernet.

@Stork Thanks yeah I had the right SSDT. Yeah for some reason I couldn't get it to detect my internet during set up. Gonna try starting from scratch again tonight to see if it was just a bad install. I also had spoty USB connectivity, my Bluetooth dongle would not reconnect to the keyboard and mouse after a reboot reliably.

@Stork I also used Clover config to update clover to the latest release. Is this recommended or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back