Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Stork, I am hoping you can help me out with the colossal mess I made of my hackintosh by doing the high sierra update... it's fully functioning but I get a number of error messages on clover boot (below) and I have two additional options in my clover boot

Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot ... and... this one loads
Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot ... this one does not

My SSD High Sierra drive shows on the clover screen as HFS+ even though the system report shows APFS

The worst part is that after a short time my CPU temp skyrockets from typically 30-40 Celsius to 80-95 Celsius

Any suggestions would be appreciated

View attachment 303691

What you see in this picture is normal. This is due to having apfs.efi installed. Make sure you have the latest apfs.efi installed.

Having the two extra boot options is also normal. You can ignore them or use Clover to hide them.

You need to look in Activity Monitor to see what's causing your CPU to work hard.

I've finished my Z370 X HERO / i7-8700K build, but am having some PITA issues with High Sierra (I knew I would as it is still buggy). I normally use Migration Assistant when installing on a new system, but HS' Migration Assistant is not working for me on 10.13.2 as in earlier versions of macOS. So, I'm awaiting 10.13.3 to come out, and, then, I'll write up a build description.

What you see in this picture is normal. This is due to having apfs.efi installed. Make sure you have the latest apfs.efi installed.

Having the two extra boot options is also normal. You can ignore them or use Clover to hide them.

You need to look in Activity Monitor to see what's causing your CPU to work hard

Thanks for the information PastryChef... I did a bit of testing just to see where the issues lie,

1. Booted to the Clover menu and just left it to see if the temperature increased... stayed at a constant 20-25 celsius
2. Launched to the login screen for High Sierra... temperature increased to 30-35 celsius but remained constant, small increase when the screen saver kicked in.
3. If I logged in temperature increased to 50-60 then increased each time I loaded an app.

When I was using Sierra, under heavy load (video editing with After Effects rendering the system rarely went over 50 celsius)... just have to figure this one out... not sure how to attack this though. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Could it be GPU related, maybe a driver issues in the clover setup?

Thanks for the information PastryChef... I did a bit of testing just to see where the issues lie,

1. Booted to the Clover menu and just left it to see if the temperature increased... stayed at a constant 20-25 celsius
2. Launched to the login screen for High Sierra... temperature increased to 30-35 celsius but remained constant, small increase when the screen saver kicked in.
3. If I logged in temperature increased to 50-60 then increased each time I loaded an app.

When I was using Sierra, under heavy load (video editing with After Effects rendering the system rarely went over 50 celsius)... just have to figure this one out... not sure how to attack this though. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Could it be GPU related, maybe a driver issues in the clover setup?

A few things you might want to try:
  1. Create a new user account. Log out of current account and in to the new one. Are temps rising?
  2. Boot in to another OS (Sierra or Windows) and monitor temps.

This will help you determine whether it's a software issue or a hardware issue.

Alright, I'm going nuts. Been on it for a few days now, but this is the only point I'm getting to. Left it for an hour with no results. I've followed the guide, and I've disabled/enabled/changed all the BIOS settings. (Since my Maximus VIII Hero doesn't have XHCI-Handoff on the recent build 3504, I disabled the Keyboard/Mouse Simulation option following your guide.)
Now, I'm using Intel Core i7 6700k, Maximus VIII Hero (build 3504), Nvidia GeForce GTX 970. Is there something I'm missing in the installation?
Do I need extra boot-args? Or what is it? Because I'm going bananas over this haha.

Created the USB via UniBeast aswell, and MultiBeast & Nvidia WebDriver is also on the USB. I'm using the rear USB 2.0 ports as well.

Regards, Kim.

Attachments

• IMG_8762.JPG
    IMG_8762.JPG
    544.7 KB · Views: 103
Alright, I'm going nuts. Been on it for a few days now, but this is the only point I'm getting to. Left it for an hour with no results. I've followed the guide, and I've disabled/enabled/changed all the BIOS settings. (Since my Maximus VIII Hero doesn't have XHCI-Handoff on the recent build 3504, I disabled the Keyboard/Mouse Simulation option following your guide.)
Now, I'm using Intel Core i7 6700k, Maximus VIII Hero (build 3504), Nvidia GeForce GTX 970. Is there something I'm missing in the installation?
Do I need extra boot-args? Or what is it? Because I'm going bananas over this haha.

Created the USB via UniBeast aswell, and MultiBeast & Nvidia WebDriver is also on the USB. I'm using the rear USB 2.0 ports as well.

Regards, Kim.

Clean install? Try removing the Nvidia card from the computer for the first install, and when everything is working, plug it back in.

Clean install? Try removing the Nvidia card from the computer for the first install, and when everything is working, plug it back in.

Did that, and then I went into verbose mode, and ended up with this code:

<Warning>: Service exited with abnormal code: 1
<Notice>: Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Any ideas? And yes, it’s a clean install, not an upgrade. And the SSD I wanna use have never had Windows on it.

Hello everyone,

BIOS version 3703 is released :

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Version 37032018/01/127.97 MBytes

MAXIMUS VIII HERO BIOS 3703
Fixed SAMSUNG M.2 device issue.
Fixed SanDisk M.2 device issue.
Fixed AMD RADEON SSD device issue.
Improved DRAM compatibility.
Fixed SteelSeries keyboard issue.
Updated Intel CPU microcode.

I dont have time today to update but it integrates the Intel update for Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

Hello everyone,

BIOS version 3703 is released :

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Version 37032018/01/127.97 MBytes

MAXIMUS VIII HERO BIOS 3703
Fixed SAMSUNG M.2 device issue.
Fixed SanDisk M.2 device issue.
Fixed AMD RADEON SSD device issue.
Improved DRAM compatibility.
Fixed SteelSeries keyboard issue.
Updated Intel CPU microcode.

I dont have time today to update but it integrates the Intel update for Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

jonz - Thanks for the info.
I downloaded the file, but it's MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO-ALPHA-ASUS-3703.CAP.
This is mentioned in the BIOS 3703 thread on the Asus forum.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99040-Bios-3703

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back