Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Stork- I did a fresh install and everything seems to be working great. I get a random message though saying that "System extension cannot be used. The system extension /Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used..." You help is appreciated. Thank you.

hi Stork, I've been reading a lot of your stuff here to build up some knowledge before my first hackintosh. this guide seems to be one of the really good ones, thanks for sharing :)

one question:
have you yet been able to find out what's causing the weird shut down behavior? Isn't this affecting the system in general if it constantly crashes during shutdown? just curious.

hi Stork, I've been reading a lot of your stuff here to build up some knowledge before my first hackintosh. this guide seems to be one of the really good ones, thanks for sharing :)

one question:
have you yet been able to find out what's causing the weird shut down behavior? Isn't this affecting the system in general if it constantly crashes during shutdown? just curious.
Thanks for your kind words.

So far, the "weird shutdown behavior" (good way to describe it) has not affected the system operation - it's just a minor PITA. I attribute the behavior to the NVMe kext which wasn't really designed for a NVMe boot drive, but rather as a fast NVMe data drive. So, we'll have to put up with this behavior until Apple uses a true M.2 NVMe capability in one of it's products or the kext author works on a fix (highly unlikely).

I attribute the behavior to the NVMe kext which wasn't really designed for a NVMe boot drive, but rather as a fast NVMe data drive.

so if I would leave the "Samsung 950 Pro" out of the build and would install OSX on the "regular" 850 Evo drive, then this problem would go away?
or am I understanding it wrong?

so if I would leave the "Samsung 950 Pro" out of the build and would install OSX on the "regular" 850 Evo drive, then this problem would go away?
or am I understanding it wrong?
Yes the problem will go away. But, the 950 Pro is so much faster that I'm not bothered by the shutdown problem. Price to pay when you're an Early Adopter. :thumbup:

Hello Stork. I am planing to buy Asus z170 Maximus viii hero. Do I need to used 3rd party sata and 3rd party USB? Can I just ignore these ports and not install 3rd party sata/USB kexts? Will it somehow influence performance/stability of my system?

M8H seems to be very similar to your M8G, M8H has 2 asmedia sata ports everything else seems to be identical(not taking into account number of pice and USB ports.

Last edited:
Hello Stork. I am planing to buy Asus z170 Maximus viii hero. Do I need to used 3rd party sata and 3rd party USB? Can I just ignore these ports and not install 3rd party sata/USB kexts? Will it somehow influence performance/stability of my system?

M8H seems to be very similar to your M8G, M8H has 2 asmedia sata ports evening else seems to be identical(not taking into account number of pice and USB ports.
I used the 3rd Party SATA because the M.2 Samsung 950 Pro appeared as an external drive the first time I installed El Capitan. If you're not going to use a M.2 SSD, then you don't have to use that option.

You will need to use the 3rd Party USB 3.0 kext and Increase Port Limit Options. Both are required for 100-series motherboards.

hey, can you upload your efi folder? Did you remove config.plist and .mb files? I can't find them.
I removed the file .mb file because it changes with updates to MultiBeast which caused confusion among several users. The list of MultiBeast choices in Post #1 are better for you to follow. After following those choices, your MultiBeast Build should resemble my MultiBeast Build configuration screen snapshot.

(Thank you for pointing out the missing file. I edited Post #1 to remove the note under the MultiBeast Build screen snapshot.)

I removed my config.plist because it is now correctly created by the latest version of MultiBeast so that you don't have to modify the config.plist file which we had to do in the early days of El Capitan.

Uploading my EFI folder will not be helpful. Just follow my installation procedures in build description, keeping in mind that you a different, but similar motherboard than my GENE. BTW, I put check boxes by each installation step so that you don't skip a step. Print out just the installation procedures, and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back