Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Thanks for all the helpful posts, there is a wealth of information here to debug issues with similar builds.

My Asus Maximus Gene viii z170 motherboard currently runs bios version 3007. I used bios version 2202 previously as suggested in this build, but I ran into a similar issue - If I create a usb installation drive using unibeast 7.1.1 (either 2.0 drive or 3.0 drive) and the latest version of sierra and choose UEFI mode -> I'm not able to boot from USB. If I choose legacy mode, I'm able to enter the clover menu, but installation from USB fails with a verbose log of ++++++ symbols. I followed the instructions to update the BIOS settings as suggested. I currently have my graphics card (evga GTX 1050 Ti disabled). If I choose UEFI installation mode, if I boot from USB I am sent back to the BIOS setup screen. I don't know if this is relevant but my SSD (only active drive) has a prefix of p2 in the BIOS boot menu. Any tips on how to get to the sierra installation screen would be highly appreciated.

I'm running an 6700k processor and 16GB ballistix sport 2400 RAM and I'm using a Samsung 250 GB EVO 850 SSD.
Did you put the USB 2 installer thumb drive in the Rear Panel USB port as I instructed?
:ch: Insert the UniBeast USB Thumb Drive in the USB port in the bottom USB port at the bottom of the stack with the PS/2 port at the top (see Rear Port graphic above);

Did you put the USB 2 installer thumb drive in the Rear Panel USB port as I instructed?
Yes, it is in the USB BIOS flashback slot. I'm going to order a new USB 2.0 drive to try again.

I just placed a windows 10 usb installer to the same drive and was able to install windows 10 (confirming I didn't wire anything incorrectly)

Hi, any specific reason as to why Fast Boot option is disabled in the BIOS?

Yes, it is in the USB BIOS flashback slot. I'm going to order a new USB 2.0 drive to try again.

I just placed a windows 10 usb installer to the same drive and was able to install windows 10 (confirming I didn't wire anything incorrectly)

Update: I was able to resolve the errors I was facing by making a couple of changes ->
1) I updated my BIOS version to 3401. This fixed the USB boot issue for me.
2) After a successful complete install, I followed the following instruction to get my graphics card working by adding support for EmuVariableUefi-64:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/#Problem6

Update: I was able to resolve the errors I was facing by making a couple of changes ->
1) I updated my BIOS version to 3401. This fixed the USB boot issue for me.
2) After a successful complete install, I followed the following instruction to get my graphics card working by adding support for EmuVariableUefi-64:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/#Problem6

I just updated my BIOS from 2202 to 3401 - also added the EmuVariableUefi-64. Now my system restarts when I do a Shutdown. Have you seen the same issue with this BIOS?

Can I confirm if we do indeed need to add EmuVariableUefi-64 support for this motherboard?

I have the problem with GTX-1080 sending my monitor to sleep at the Apple logo. The web drivers are loading fine, I just need to switch to a different monitor input and back again to make the monitor wake up. Most explanations I read for this talk about Mac 6,1 or other systems that I'm not using, I'm using 14,2 so I'm not sure how relevant the solutions are.

I also have a non Hackinstoch question about this Mobo...

Is there a setting in the BIOS that will make the boot screens so they are NOT stretched really wide on my 2560x1080 screen. On HDMI it was displaying the boot and UEFI screens at normal native resolutions, now I'm on DP it's like its 640x480 and massively stretched. But it all seems a bit random as to when it does what so wondering if there is a UEFI setting that influences this.

Thanks.

Can I confirm if we do indeed need to add EmuVariableUefi-64 support for this motherboard?

I have the problem with GTX-1080 sending my monitor to sleep at the Apple logo. The web drivers are loading fine, I just need to switch to a different monitor input and back again to make the monitor wake up. Most explanations I read for this talk about Mac 6,1 or other systems that I'm not using, I'm using 14,2 so I'm not sure how relevant the solutions are.

I also have a non Hackinstoch question about this Mobo...

Is there a setting in the BIOS that will make the boot screens so they are NOT stretched really wide on my 2560x1080 screen. On HDMI it was displaying the boot and UEFI screens at normal native resolutions, now I'm on DP it's like its 640x480 and massively stretched. But it all seems a bit random as to when it does what so wondering if there is a UEFI setting that influences this.

Thanks.

If you use BIOS version 2202 or lower, EmuVariableUefi-64 is NOT needed.

If you BIOS versions newer than 2202, you will need EmuVariableUefi-64.

Try changing CSM setting in BIOS to fix the stretched screen.

I just updated my BIOS from 2202 to 3401 - also added the EmuVariableUefi-64. Now my system restarts when I do a Shutdown. Have you seen the same issue with this BIOS?

I performed a fresh install following Stork's instructions on the 3401 BIOS - I don't see any issues with shutdown or sleep. The only thing that doesn't seem to work so far after the installation steps is iMessage.

If you use BIOS version 2202 or lower, EmuVariableUefi-64 is NOT needed.

If you BIOS versions newer than 2202, you will need EmuVariableUefi-64.

Try changing CSM setting in BIOS to fix the stretched screen.

Thanks for clarifying the NVRam situation.

My CSM is already enabled. Using the CSM driver Clover is displaying in 2560x1080 nicely, it's just the ASUS screens that are huge. Not really a big deal, it's just one of those things that bugs me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back