Contribute
Register

steelsam's theory of Thunderbolt functionality on GA-Z87X-UD5-TH (and other TB boards?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
@steelsam

i have a kernel panic when i Want change macpro 3.1 by macpro 5.1 définition.
An idea?
merci

@samtimbaud

Hmm... there are a lot of reasons that you could be getting a kernel panic. Is there a particular reason why you need the 5.1 definition? I think 3.1 should work just fine.

@davidmoffitt

In my experience, you only need to install Windows, run it once, and that is it. On one of my machines I've never booted back into my Windows drive after I installed it and tbolt works very well. Also, you should be able to do this without reinstalling OSX.

Got Mine Working with UAD apollo.

Installed Win 7 On a spare drive
Loaded the Gigabyte TB Drivers from the disk
I Moved the TB Kexts out
Changed Bios Settings to ones in the Pic in this thread ( that was the last piece in this pretty long puzzel for me).

Thanks for the help folks!

Just tried Windows8 now and it worked beautifully. :eek:)

Make sure that you download Thunderbolt driver and just install it...:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4593#driver

Did read somewhere up there if it would work on parallels and I don't think it would as windows installs things onto chipboards (to my understanding of PCs) and technically you can't do that parallels.

I really can't believe how easy it was to fix this up.... :)

Thanks everyone, this is an amazing thread.
J

Add another success story to the thread!

As per this thread's recommendation, I went to peripherals and changed the Thunderbolt security level to legacy, disabled wake on Thunderbolt in addition to performing some of the other recommended UFEI tweaks.

From there, I installed a cloned-Win 7 SSD from another machine, loaded the Gigabyte Thunderbolt driver, switched out the Win 7 SSD with a blank SSD - and installed Mavericks onto that.

Then I deleted all Thunderbolt-related kexts and am now successfully running my Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo.

Great work fellas! :headbang:

Just thought I'd throw this out there. GA-Z77X UP-5 TH board i3770k machine. UAD apollo Quad and UAD 2 Duo internal system.

Did 10.9.2 update, as per instructions, everything went fine except no thunderbolt. I am using the FW 800 to TH adapter for now.

All I did was run Multibeast a second time and updated to 6.1 and now I have connectivity tot he Apollo, yet in the system report It says Thunderbolt : "No hardware found".

Not sure why it works now, but will keep you posted.

Does anyone have the Thunderbolt UAD interface working? I was thinking of upgrading. Just waiting for them to post a deal on it!

Sadly I've been having a sad day on the Asus side of things. I gave up for a while until I heard that installing Windows could solve the issue. My system is an
Asus Z87 Deluxe Quad
Intel i7 4770K
32 GB 4x8 Patriot Viper 1600 Mhz DDR3
2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black
OWC 256GB SSD

My TB devices: 2x Pegasus R4 Drives

I tried installing Windows 7 and then Windows 8.
Bad news: Not working still.
Good news: Windows doesn't see my TB drives either.

So I can a least call Asus and be all like WTF guys... one advantage of a Windows machine.

I Bloom

Hi,
I was successful in installing window 8 on a separate HD and install the TB driver. Everything works fine with exception of a longer boot time.
The system takes much longer to start.

Any idea why and/or solutions?

Thank you!

Andrea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back