Contribute
Register

steelsam's theory of Thunderbolt functionality on GA-Z87X-UD5-TH (and other TB boards?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it matters but I happen to have Windows installed on its own disk.

Steelsam, My GA-Z87X-UD5 TH is due to arrive thursday. Could i trouble you to post your multi beast settings? Thanks.
:D

That is the wierdest thing ever... I wonder what's happening.

Steelsam, My GA-Z87X-UD5 TH is due to arrive thursday. Could i trouble you to post your multi beast settings? Thanks.
:D

Sure, I believe they were like this:

Realtek without DSDT
ALC898

Disk
3rd Party SATA

Miscellaneous
FakeSMC
FakeSMC Plugins

Network
Intel - hnak's

Boot Options
Generate CPU States
1080p Display

Power Management Mode
Desktop

System Definition
Mac Pro 5,1

Same motherboard :headbang:

The thunderbolt works perfect with windows installed in a secondary disk, the only thing is what doesn't show you in the System information as active hardware, the message is " Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded."

I connect the Intensity Extreme to the th port from Blackmagic Design and works perfect, it have it's own drivers.

Just wanted to comfirm here that the Windows install Thunderbolt workaround also works for the Z87X-UD7-TH with Mavericks. Tested with a GoFlex and a lacie5big raid.
Stumbled on it by accident...didn't knew it was a common trick.

I am struggling with getting Thunderbolt - it's critical for my use of the machine and has been a source of much frustration :banghead: I have 2 TB devices, a Promise R6 and a Seagate TB to Sata adaptor, the [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]STAE128. I understand hot-plug won't work (not the end of the world, normally I use the Seagate for copying new footage on, if I have to reboot in between that's fine). [/FONT]

Can someone confirm / offer an "explain it like I'm 5" version: I install OS X. Then Install Windows (in my case Windows 8.1). Boot into windows, install the TB drivers / disk gets recognized. Then reboot back into 10.9.1 and everything should show up?

Does that have to be done EVERY cold-boot? Or just the very first time I connect the drive?[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] I'm just trying to get a handle on the process... I am also totally fine if I need to reinstall OS X and Windows (they're on separate disks but I'd prefer to re-do it on one SSD with 2 partitions later anyway). I just need a nudge in the right direction, thanks :)[/FONT]

Question: would this Windows fix work if I installed it within Mavericks with Parallels?

I guess I answered my own question - no it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back