Contribute
Register

Starting a new adventure: Lenovo Thinkcentre M83. Plase help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, good to know that it works well

Which Radeon did you get?

M73 has at most:
Slot 1: Low Profile, PCIe 3.0 x16 (40w max)

sebus

i moved all the components to a new chassis not long ago, figuring the pinouts was a bit of a pain in the ass but i managed to get everything working.

My radeon is a 280x 3gb full size, im using another PSU with an adapter for the lenovo mobo connector.

For your reference, before i had this card, i was using a GTX750ti 2gb working perfectly fine in the original lenovo chassis.

Latest BIOS FCKT73A fixes lots of issues & makes M73 behave really well in all aspects

Hey, very interesting.

I actually have access to both an M73 and M83.

I don't suppose it's possible (because it would be much easier) to have an image of the setup?
Thinking Carbon Copy Cloner or equivalent?

Well done on the hack though, :D

Very old thread, but pulled one (of many gathering dust) M73 from the cupboard & for fun on Friday evening decided to check if it can take Mojave 10.14.2
And it did just fine.

Audio worked with this
Graphics HD4400 (8086:041e) worked with FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_HDGraphics.kext (did not use Whatevergreen)
Or one CAN use lilu/whatevergreen as per this
For onboard Realtek LAN used latest from here
LPC SSDT patch
ssdtPRGen
I am sure I can tweak it even more, but it does the job for now

This old chassis (SFF) uses standard size TFX PSU , so one can swap the OEM one for ie 3GO PS500TFX TFX 500W or Tacens Anima apt500 (which I used previously with no issues). It allows install of nVidia low-profile card like ie 750Ti or 1030/1050 (note: none is yet fully supported in Mojave due to no nVidia we drivers)

This model (due to its age) does not have any UEFI boot manager build into its firmware
So once Clover installed to SSD EFI, I rebooted with USB Windows PE & used BootICE to add Clover to the UEFI boot menu (otherwise there would be nothing in UEFI F12 boot selection - as it ONLY recognizes Microsoft Windows Boot Manager)
Same could be done with bcfg from EFI Shell

Last edited:
M73, latest 4910 Clover, update to 10.14.4 works perfectly fine!

@Patilon

Do not even attempt Maverick (way too old to even bother)
Any new OS will be fine in pure UEFI (not legacy) on Thinkcentre Mx3 (your error comes from attempted legacy boot)

Update to 10.14.5 works with no issues

nVidia NVS510 works fine OOB

Dual boot to Windows (from Clover) works fine (two separate SSD)

16Gb RAM makes it really nicely usable

Hi, I'm trying to configure a new M83 SFF i5-4570 Intel® HD Graphics 4600 with Mojave. Cheap box from NewEgg, but a replacement for my old Hackintosh (2600K from 2011 - Gordo's Build originally, not able to run Mojave) and intended to primarily run FCPX and related programs. (Also because its a small box I can take it for streaming)

So far it's been relatively painless, but I was hoping to get some advice on finishing things properly. This seems to be an active thread. :) I would appreciate details, and in return I promise to report results to assist others. This is a cheap box often on sale, but pretty good performance for basic editing.

Using UniBeast on a dedicated SSD I was easily able to install Mojave 10.14.2 (UEFI). BIOS didn't present a problem, I didn't need to change anything. No sound or networking on initial install, but it came up pretty cleanly.

1) I installed (using MultiBeast) AppleIntelE1000e v 3.3.6 as someone said that worked. It did, but I'm not sure if it is stable. Do I need to change this to a RealTek driver for stability or performance? Anyway, networking is working.

2) Originally had many issues connecting to iCloud, but they seemed to calm down. It asked me for passwords of my other computers - is that normal? How would it even know?

3) Originally I installed VooDooHDA v 2.9.1. That didn't seem to work so I removed it and installed AppleALC. That works, but only for HDMI audio through my TV display. I need to connect to my audio system through the analog outputs and my mic through the input. How can I make that work? No analog options show up, just HDMI and AppleTV.

4) The system seems to recognize the 4600. I haven't tested the performance yet. But it doesn't seem to recognize a second monitor connected to the VGA port. How could I make this work, and are there any other steps to get full performance?

5) Successfully updated to 10.14.5! Still works! Pretty painless, even with all of the reboots to other partitions...

6) Is there a DSDT and do I need to use it?

7) Do I need to TRIM Enable at this point in 2019? If so, how?

8) System installed as iMac 14,2. Is that optimal?

9) Since I'm going to be using FCPX, I want to install a real graphics card. Any recommendations for a low-profile card around $200?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I've researched this and most of the information around seems to apply to older versions, so you never know what's changed.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back