1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I've just recently switched my tosh to a SSD+HDD combination. I'm really excited about how fast apps and stuff start up now. Really nice.
However there's one thing I'm still struggling with a little bit:
How do you guys, who use a similar setup, reconfigure your directory structure?
I don't wanna use the SSD for massive data storage for obvious reasons.
On the other hand I don't want to move my whole home directory to the HDD either because I want Library to remain on the SSD for speed.
So basically what I did is moving Documents and Downloads directory to the HDD and linking/aliasing it to the place in my home.
Unfortunately the result is that the directories in the dock do not point to the correct folders anymore.
So I'm just wondering how you guys handle this.

Cheers,

Ice

edit: sorry I didn't read as well as I should have... didn't realize you didn't want to move the home folder.

I run my system on a 64GB SSD and 1 TB HDD. The simple answer is to unplug all the drives with the exception of the SSD and install the OS (as per tonymacx86 directions).

1.Once the install is done and the HDD is plugged back open the HDD and create a folder named "Users".

2. Open the terminal and run (super copy, maintaining resources and meta-data):

sudo ditto -rsrc /Users/"name" /Volumes/"HDD"/Users/"name"/
*obviously your names and paths

3. Open system prefs -> account -> control + click you account -> advanced options.

4. Change home directory path to new folder (the result of ditto).

5. reboot

6. make sure everything is square and delete the home drive from the Users folder on the SSD.

7. done.

This set up leaves all the system files and program files running on the SSD and all documents (i.e. music, pictures, virtual machines, etc.) go on the HDD.

Sorry, but I was looking to have all my directories (music, videos, etc..) saved on a different HDD than my O/S. Are the above directions the way to do this? Is there anywhere I can find more information or a better step by step method? Thanks

ishoot2thrill said:
Sorry, but I was looking to have all my directories (music, videos, etc..) saved on a different HDD than my O/S. Are the above directions the way to do this? Is there anywhere I can find more information or a better step by step method? Thanks
the above directions will do exactly what you want. i have all os and program files on a 60gb ssd, the rest is on HDD's

try: http://www.ransom-note-typography.com/index.php/SSD_and_Your_Home_Directory

SteinVS said:
ishoot2thrill said:
the above directions will do exactly what you want. i have all os and program files on a 60gb ssd, the rest is on HDD's

try: http://www.ransom-note-typography.com/index.php/SSD_and_Your_Home_Directory

SteinVS did you have problems with any programs not working 100% because they expect the Users folder to be on the boot volume?

For instance, DSDTse for me does not work (e.g. will not perform a correct compile operation) when I boot from my SSD with user being on HD so I have had to create a user on my SSD just to get around that and log into that user when I want to do some DSDT editing. If you haven't come across this error maybe try out DSDTse and let me know if you experience the same problem.

I am curious, because I used a slighty different method when setting up my SSD/HD combo. My steps effectively were: (1) Carbon copy clone to my desired HD; (2) from my original HD use the advanced options to point to Home User directory on the clone; (3) Reboot, from my original HD checking that it is using my new Home directory on the Clone okay; (4) When step 3 okay, then delete my original Home directory and then carbon copy clone my now reduced size original HD onto the SSD; (5) Use the SSD.....as new boot drive.

I realise my method has some redundancy (i.e. I keep one disk that actually has users and system files on it - so I can still boot from it if anything happens to the SSD) but it works 100% for me except for the DSDTse issue. It seems that this program has some hidden elements that really make it rely upon the Users to actually be on the boot disk. If your method however does not have this strange side effect then I will try it out and re-do my setup!

minihack said:
SteinVS said:
ishoot2thrill said:

SteinVS did you have problems with any programs not working 100% because they expect the Users folder to be on the boot volume?

For instance, DSDTse for me does not work (e.g. will not perform a correct compile operation) when I boot from my SSD with user being on HD so I have had to create a user on my SSD just to get around that and log into that user when I want to do some DSDT editing. If you haven't come across this error maybe try out DSDTse and let me know if you experience the same problem.

All programs are working perfectly. I haven't had any issues with incompatibility. I installed DSDTse to test for you, but I don't really know what to do with it. I use the pre-edited DSDT's from Tony so I've never worked with this program. I got a little nervous about extracting and patching since my system is working perfectly right now. If you gave me some detailed instructions that cause your program to crash, I could test for you.

Hi,
It doesn't actually crash (and don't worry the program is a manual editor and will not do anything to your system).
Basically, if you press the extract DSDT button, DSDTse shows you the loaded DSDT (i.e. it will show you the TonyMac DSDT you have in Extra folder as a DSDT.dsl file that you could edit. Now normally, if you press the Compile button it would then compile it and convert it to a DSDT.aml file. However, with my set up if I am trying to use it from my Home directory on the HD when booted from the SSD it gives an error and refuses to compile. However, if I do it as a User whose Home directory is on the SSD then it compiles and shows me a correct output folder. That is the only issue I have encountered...and I was just curious if your set-up showed the same symptoms.

minihack said:
Hi,
It doesn't actually crash (and don't worry the program is a manual editor and will not do anything to your system).
Basically, if you press the extract DSDT button, DSDTse shows you the loaded DSDT (i.e. it will show you the TonyMac DSDT you have in Extra folder as a DSDT.dsl file that you could edit. Now normally, if you press the Compile button it would then compile it and convert it to a DSDT.aml file. However, with my set up if I am trying to use it from my Home directory on the HD when booted from the SSD it gives an error and refuses to compile. However, if I do it as a User whose Home directory is on the SSD then it compiles and shows me a correct output folder. That is the only issue I have encountered...and I was just curious if your set-up showed the same symptoms.

I have my home folder on the HDD and the system + apps on the SSD. I can open DSDTse just fine. When I select "extract DSDT" the window opens but I get this message and the app closes. Sounds like you get further than I do.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-18 at 4.01.30 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-05-18 at 4.01.30 PM.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 298
Lnx2Mac said:
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/search/label/Partitioning

Thanks Lnx2Mac. Appreciate the help. I originally went with the easier setup of using system preferences/accounts to do this, but will probably have to start over to load 2 O/S' on my SSD. Is there a noticeable difference in performance between the methods? I am just curious since I will most likely have to do this all over again.Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back