Graphics
Intel HD4400 (Integrated) 1920x1080
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Greetings TonyMac forum, I have a fully functional mountain lion/windows 7 install that I'm contemplating transfering to an SSD hard drive. I've been scouring the forums and have found that alignment plays a large role in the health of SSDs. Does anyone have any knowledge of this alignment issue after cloning and restoring the HD?

Greetings TonyMac forum, I have a fully functional mountain lion/windows 7 install that I'm contemplating transfering to an SSD hard drive. I've been scouring the forums and have found that alignment plays a large role in the health of SSDs. Does anyone have any knowledge of this alignment issue after cloning and restoring the HD?

As long as you use cloning software that is SSD-alignment aware, you should be OK. I've used gparted from Ubuntu (live USB) and it has options to align on MB boundary (which is great).

Don't use Easeus Partition Manager -- it does not understand SSDs, and from reading on their forms, they don't seem to have a plan for it. Haven't tried CloneZilla, but being Linux based, I'd suspect it does it correct. Also, I've heard that Acronis does things correctly, but it may depend on having the latest version (at one time, it didn't deal with SSDs correctly).

As long as you use cloning software that is SSD-alignment aware, you should be OK. I've used gparted from Ubuntu (live USB) and it has options to align on MB boundary (which is great).

Don't use Easeus Partition Manager -- it does not understand SSDs, and from reading on their forms, they don't seem to have a plan for it. Haven't tried CloneZilla, but being Linux based, I'd suspect it does it correct. Also, I've heard that Acronis does things correctly, but it may depend on having the latest version (at one time, it didn't deal with SSDs correctly).

Thanks for the prompt reply, now using the gparted software, would I have to manually specify the alignment boundaries?

Thanks for the prompt reply, now using the gparted software, would I have to manually specify the alignment boundaries?

It is default at MB boundaries. You will see it as one of the options as you clone partitions...

It is default at MB boundaries. You will see it as one of the options as you clone partitions...

I'm having some difficulty with the GParted Live Disc, I don't know how to clone the my hard drive

EDIT:

Nevermind I got it..

By the way, another way is to use an Ubuntu Live USB .. it has gparted built-in.
And you get the advantage of working in a better screen resolution than you usually get with the gparted live...

But glad you got it figured out (copy... paste...)

thanks for all the help, the only issue I have now is that I'm not seeing any noticeable improvement in boot time. my windows partition boots in mere moments but mountain lion still takes around 45secs.

thanks for all the help, the only issue I have now is that I'm not seeing any noticeable improvement in boot time. my windows partition boots in mere moments but mountain lion still takes around 45secs.

Try using Kext Wizard to repair permissions & rebuild cache. I find that sometimes helps...

Otherwise, are you using HDD or SSD? And if HDD, what RPM ... A slow hard drive could be partially at fault. But, in general, Mac OS does not boot as fast as Win7, at least on the funky hardware we are throwing at it around here. BTW, Ubuntu boots faster than both Win7 and Mac OS X.

Try using Kext Wizard to repair permissions & rebuild cache. I find that sometimes helps...

Otherwise, are you using HDD or SSD? And if HDD, what RPM ... A slow hard drive could be partially at fault. But, in general, Mac OS does not boot as fast as Win7, at least on the funky hardware we are throwing at it around here. BTW, Ubuntu boots faster than both Win7 and Mac OS X.

its an OCZ SATA III SSD, but I'll try rebuilding the caches etc..another issue however is after installation of both OSX and Windows, chimera doesn't detect the windows partition at all

its an OCZ SATA III SSD, but I'll try rebuilding the caches etc..another issue however is after installation of both OSX and Windows, chimera doesn't detect the windows partition at all

It might be the MBR partition table is some how out of sync with the GPT partition table, as far as Windows NTFS partition not being detected. It might be worth it running gptsync to synchronize. Supposedly there is a Mac OS X version of gptsync around, but I always use the Linux version. If you follow the link in my signature to my blog you can read about how to run gptsync under Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back