Contribute
Register

Some questions about dual booting and using Intel Smart Response w/Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Q77M
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 660
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, everyone.

I am using an SSD and mechanical HDD in RAID using Intel Smart Response to create a 'hybrid drive' for my Windows 7 installation. Is it possible to just purchase a second drive and dedicate that entirely to OS X and the RAID array/hybrid drive not interfere with the installation? Also, does Chimera have the ability to boot up one particular OS automatically by default unless told otherwise during startup through a keyboard shortcut or something?

My main concern is that Intel Smart response will still interfere with a separate OS X installation considering that it initializes during startup. If anyone has had experience using Intel SRT w/Windows alongside installing OS X (possibly on a separate drive) and had success that would be great to know. I am a bit new to the realm of Dual Booting and maybe this isn't an issue at all. Anyways, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, everyone.

I am using an SSD and mechanical HDD in RAID using Intel Smart Response to create a 'hybrid drive' for my Windows 7 installation. Is it possible to just purchase a second drive and dedicate that entirely to OS X and the RAID array/hybrid drive not interfere with the installation? Also, does Chimera have the ability to boot up one particular OS automatically by default unless told otherwise during startup through a keyboard shortcut or something?

My main concern is that Intel Smart response will still interfere with a separate OS X installation considering that it initializes during startup. If anyone has had experience using Intel SRT w/Windows alongside installing OS X (possibly on a separate drive) and had success that would be great to know. I am a bit new to the realm of Dual Booting and maybe this isn't an issue at all. Anyways, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
You can install OS X on a separate drive and make that drive first in drive boot order and it will always boot first.
However, Chimera/Cameleon will not recognize the RAID array as bootable, and OS X will see it as 2 separate drives.
You will have to use the hot key (F8, F11, F12 depending on board BIOS) to select boot drive if you want to boot Windows.
Also, if you have the 6/7 series chipset SATA ports set to RAID, then OS X will not install - you will need to connect the OS X drive to a Marvell or other chip driven SATA port for OS X to boot.

You can install OS X on a separate drive and make that drive first in drive boot order and it will always boot first.
However, Chimera/Cameleon will not recognize the RAID array as bootable, and OS X will see it as 2 separate drives.
You will have to use the hot key (F8, F11, F12 depending on board BIOS) to select boot drive if you want to boot Windows.
Also, if you have the 6/7 series chipset SATA ports set to RAID, then OS X will not install - you will need to connect the OS X drive to a Marvell or other chip driven SATA port for OS X to boot.

By 6/7 series chipset are you referring to Sandy/Ivy Bridge chipsets? If so, how can I determine if the SATA ports are set to RAID?
I have the SSD and mechanical HDD connected to two SATA ports on the motherboard. Can I not just connect another drive in an available port?

By 6/7 series chipset are you referring to Sandy/Ivy Bridge chipsets? If so, how can I determine if the SATA ports are set to RAID?
I have the SSD and mechanical HDD connected to two SATA ports on the motherboard. Can I not just connect another drive in an available port?

Since you stated your SSD and HDD were in RAID, then I would think you set the SATA ports to RAID mode in BIOS.
OS X requires the SATA port to be set to AHCI mode.

Since the AsMedia SATA ports (grey) have no drivers in OS X, try setting these for RAID mode and putting the Windows drives on these ports. Then the OS X SSD can go on one of the brown ports and the Z77 chip driven SATA ports (brown/black) can be set for AHCI in BIOS

Since you stated your SSD and HDD were in RAID, then I would think you set the SATA ports to RAID mode in BIOS.
OS X requires the SATA port to be set to AHCI mode.

Since the AsMedia SATA ports (grey) have no drivers in OS X, try setting these for RAID mode and putting the Windows drives on these ports. Then the OS X SSD can go on one of the brown ports and the Z77 chip driven SATA ports (brown/black) can be set for AHCI in BIOS

Yes, you're right! :lol: Sorry, I wasn't thinking.

Okay, so I can assign the brown/black SATA ports to AHCI for the OS X drive through my BIOS. The only issue is that you suggested I set the AsMedia SATA port (grey) to RAID and connect my Windows drives that way but my Z77 board only has one AsMedia (grey) SATA port. z77.jpg

The only issue is that you suggested I set the AsMedia SATA port (grey) to RAID and connect my Windows drives that way but my Z77 board only has one AsMedia (grey) SATA port.
Are you absolutely sure about that? Chapter 3 page 2-19 in the Sabertooth manual shows 2 ports from the ASMedia chip and the board I used in a gaming build certainly had 2 SATA ports on the board.

The ports shown in the picture in my previous post are all that are available on my board. (Sabertooth Z77)

Bottom right hand next to the screw for the backplate standoff - should be 2 sata ports stacked thare same as the rest of the ports are stacked. You should be able to attach 2 drives to each of the SATA blocks.

2 for the SATA III from the Z77, in the top block, then 2 each for the black blocks, then 2 for the bottom grey block.

Bottom right hand next to the screw for the backplate standoff - should be 2 sata ports stacked thare same as the rest of the ports are stacked. You should be able to attach 2 drives to each of the SATA blocks.

2 for the SATA III from the Z77, in the top block, then 2 each for the black blocks, then 2 for the bottom grey block.

I finally got a good look at the side of my motherboard and you're absolutely right. I don't know how I forgot!
So my last question is: Do you know where to look in the BIOS to change the AsMedia SATA controller mode? I can't seem to find too much information on the subject. Thank you so much for you help so far, by the way! :clap:

I finally got a good look at the side of my motherboard and you're absolutely right. I don't know how I forgot!
So my last question is: Do you know where to look in the BIOS to change the AsMedia SATA controller mode? I can't seem to find too much information on the subject. Thank you so much for you help so far, by the way! :clap:

In the advanced tab, where the rest of the SATA ports are listed does it show E1/E2 6Gb/s ports?
and can you set the mode separately from the other z77 SATA ports?
If not listed there, look in Onboard devices section - it might be you can only enable/disable the ports if they are listed there.
I don't have tha manual anymore as it went with the build to its new owner or I would check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back