Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] XPS 9500 Hibernate works but high power consumption on resume

With my EFI (and macos sleep config as outlined in the repo) you can click on skeep and/or close the lid; the system will go to S4 sleep (it's almost identical to classic hibernation except that some restore variables are stored in NVRAM). Are you using the EFI setup I made?

The other changes are to the UEFi IFR variables (cfg lock, undervolting, etc memory lock) as I've outlined in the readme. You also need to leave S3 sleep on (ie don't enable block sleep option in bios).

With my EFI (and macos sleep config as outlined in the repo) you can click on skeep and/or close the lid; the system will go to S4 sleep (it's almost identical to classic hibernation except that some restore variables are stored in NVRAM). Are you using the EFI setup I made?

The other changes are to the UEFi IFR variables (cfg lock, undervolting, etc memory lock) as I've outlined in the readme. You also need to leave S3 sleep on (ie don't enable block sleep option in bios).
I used your efi without changing a thing. I also changed CFG lock and rtc lock. Do I need hibernatefixup kext as well? Also I realised that the reason for battery drain is Nvidia GPU never go off. I installed pop os Linux distro and disabling Nvidia is so easy. I was wondering if we could use the same mechanism to disable it in Mac os.

I used your efi without changing a thing. I also changed CFG lock and rtc lock. Do I need hibernatefixup kext as well? Also I realised that the reason for battery drain is Nvidia GPU never go off. I installed pop os Linux distro and disabling Nvidia is so easy. I was wondering if we could use the same mechanism to disable it in Mac os.
you can create a SSDT to disable it:

1. Yes you need hibernatefixup - just use my complete EFI folder and insert your own serial numbers etc
2. Yes it's the dGPU, again my updated EFI folder (not just the config, the whole folder structure) will shut this off for you.

1. Yes you need hibernatefixup - just use my complete EFI folder and insert your own serial numbers etc
2. Yes it's the dGPU, again my updated EFI folder (not just the config, the whole folder structure) will shut this off for you.
Hibernate still does not work. Dell logo after wake and laptop does not respond. Disabling early life logo give black screen as well.
Dgpu still runs too. Mind if dump my acpi from Windows? Maybe the Quadro GPU in precision 5550 is different.

Ah, you have the quadro. No that's not going to work unfortunately, the ACPI mapping is almost definitely going to be different to the xps. However there is one precision user who has successfully managed to make hibernation work with my EFI but it was my first release. You can download the snapshot and see if it works for you here.

Ah, you have the quadro. No that's not going to work unfortunately, the ACPI mapping is almost definitely going to be different to the xps. However there is one precision user who has successfully managed to make hibernation work with my EFI but it was my first release. You can download the snapshot and see if it works for you here.
Idk if this reply is late, but I'd like you to point to me what you did with the acpi and all so I can get it working on my machine as well. Power management is still a mess. Won't go below 4w. I see you updated your GitHub repo with screenshots with your power as low as 3.5w. Does it go lower than 2w for you? It is amazing how power efficient our machine is on windows and even Linux but it's not the same on Mac os. Also, are you using the 86whr battery? Mine is 54whr with FHD screen just like yours.

I've pushed the latest update to my github which should hopefully make it work with the Precision 5550 too. Just download the latest snapshot and insert your serial number details in config.plist.

I'm actually quite happy with the power configuration on macOS, I've managed to lower it to 3w on idle and it lasts 7-8h on a full charge with the 86WHr battery, which is more than I need now, especially since hibernation is working well. Windows was never that power efficient for me, but Linux is the clear winner, at around 10-12h if I use tlp and powertop.

If this config still gives you a high power consumption on resume from hibernation, just post the ACPI path for the graphics card from windows; the quadro is likely to be on a different ACPI path to the 1650.

I've pushed the latest update to my github which should hopefully make it work with the Precision 5550 too. Just download the latest snapshot and insert your serial number details in config.plist.

I'm actually quite happy with the power configuration on macOS, I've managed to lower it to 3w on idle and it lasts 7-8h on a full charge with the 86WHr battery, which is more than I need now, especially since hibernation is working well. Windows was never that power efficient for me, but Linux is the clear winner, at around 10-12h if I use tlp and powertop.

If this config still gives you a high power consumption on resume from hibernation, just post the ACPI path for the graphics card from windows; the quadro is likely to be on a different ACPI path to the 1650.
Same after trying your latest repo. I've attached my dsdt I pulled from windows.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    301 KB · Views: 27
Have made some further changes and successfully tested on both XPS 9500 and Precision 5550. Take the latest repo update (and add your own serial numbers in SMBIOS) and it hopefully should work now...
Same after trying your latest repo. I've attached my dsdt I pulled from windows.

Back