Dell XPS 15 9520
CPU
i9-12900HK
Graphics
RX 6650XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi all,

As most of you who own a Dell XPS 9500 know, its ACPI S3 sleep is broken (and the 9510, 9520 and new 9530 didn't fare much better). After some work on this loaned machine, I've finally managed to create a fully working hibernate (mode 25) and resume for the XPS 95x0 family, which works quickly and consistently, and importantly is a much more practical solution for a hackintosh than shutdown.

Latest EFI snapshot can be found here

The only issue I have at the moment is that upon resume from hibernation there seems to be some form of additional power drain (not due to any OS process load as far as I can see), and the temperature increases by about 10C which suggests some kext and/or device is not behaving properly. I've attached the powermetrics for pre- and post- hibernation, alongside a power gadget screenshot (you can see where the suspend/resume event is from the temperature hike).

powergadget.png

Any suggestions/tips as to what could be happening here?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• powermetrics_pre.txt
    19.2 KB · Views: 29
  • powermetrics_post.txt
    21.3 KB · Views: 29
This is good news! However, I have identical machine as yours, and I have been struggling with power management on my machine. May I know your power drain at idle on intel gadget? Mine sits at 4watts comfortably with all tweaks I have tried and I am lost.

I've attached a screenshot showing the respective power consumption on intel gadget, wattagio and coconutbattery. Personally I prefer using the latter 2 as I get power consumption for all devices. This is pre-hibernation:
idle.png

I've attached a screenshot showing the respective power consumption on intel gadget, wattagio and coconutbattery. Personally I prefer using the latter 2 as I get power consumption for all devices. This is pre-hibernation:
View attachment 572430
Same as mine here. It's actually terrible. Windows 11 idles at 0.7 watts. Constantly running as high as 4 watts will kill the battery quickly. If this is the idle power on Mac os for this machine, then it's actually not worth it. I also have a feeling that Dell bios is the culprit because I've done everything possible to fix this to no avail.

Any luck your hibernate mod works on windows?

Hibernate works well on Windows (and Linux), but you need to switch off modern standby and reactivate hibernation via group policy/registry. There are a few guides out there that show how this can be done.

On macOS with current power settings (and FHD screen) I get 5-6 hours of battery life, which isn't bad (the % battery remaining is 3.5h for 51%. I can reduce the power profile more, but I still haven't looked into power optimisation yet as I need to fix the post-hibernation drain first.

How does the trackpad work? I currently own an XPS 9300, it's a bit too small for me and would like to upgrade to a 9500, thanks.

Fixed issue with high power consumption post-hibernation, it was due to faulty logic with the dGPU which then powered it up again. Have fixed the issue properly once and for all and now get 7h battery on full charge. Full hanges are in my github repo.

How does the trackpad work? I currently own an XPS 9300, it's a bit too small for me and would like to upgrade to a 9500, thanks.

The trackpad across the 9500/9510/9520/9530 (same trackpad for all machines, as are most of the peripherals) is very good. It's markedly different from the 9300, which feels flimsy at times. The 9500's trackpad feels much more responsive and solid. IMHO of course...

Nice work man. Been following. Instructions on how to enable hibernation in Mac os?

Have updated github with the instructions, take a look here:

Tried the instructions and it didn't work.
With sleep blocked in bios, it never goes into hibernation. With sleep enabled in bios, it goes and wakes up with black screen. I don't know what I'm missing. Do I have to make changes in bios? I click on sleep in Mac os, so is that a problem?

Back