Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] XFX R9 280X It Simply Won't Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
just fell into this post and if you compare ... you will realise that you have ...a BEAST! (it is also more than clear that Luxmark looooves double GPU)
but you got the highest of all similar ...so I'd say "Get back to work"!

ADD:
from my experience of flashing and reflashing but especially from loading vbios again and again :
anything above 015.043.xxx.xxx for 280x does not work with OSX.
no matter the brand

Last edited:
Hi all, so I have been reading though this post, and I'm stuck at the part where I have to load the ROMs onto the cards, I have done some searching on this. Can I use Clover to Inject the ROMs that I put in the EFI Folder? Or do I need to flash the BIOS on my R9 280X cards, I've read multiple solutions on this matter. Right now I have 2 of the R9 280X cards, one is the Double Dissipation and the other is the Black OC Edition, I know the base clock speeds are different but they should work from what I've read.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first Hackintosh and I'm at a loss. Can I flash the BIOS on Mac or will I need to use my Windows machine to do that? Or do I need to Flash the BIOS at all if I just inject the right ROMs? I hope I'm on the right track.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Tim

Hi there!
in my case loading VBIOS was enough(although I tried flashing with atiflash as well but it was the exact same thing so I preferred loading bios in order to have the latest rom for windows 10).
You have 2 cards so I have no idea what this might cause. You can try though, it is pretty easy.
I am posting you my clover settings and my ROM folder.
only one rom is used, the one named "1002_6798.rom", all the others are for testing purposes (!! :p)
I found out that the latest DDBlack rom that my Mac accepts is the 41.2 version.
I can send you all my roms if you want or you can download from here whichever suits you
if you don't succeed I 'd suggest trying with one card just to be sure
if you decide to flash your cards, first read here
good luck!!

Attachments

• Clover Settings.png
    Clover Settings.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 226
  • ROM-folder-screen.png
    ROM-folder-screen.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 218
Hi there!
in my case loading VBIOS was enough(although I tried flashing with atiflash as well but it was the exact same thing so I preferred loading bios in order to have the latest rom for windows 10).
You have 2 cards so I have no idea what this might cause. You can try though, it is pretty easy.
only one rom is used, the one named "1002_6798.rom", all the others are for testing purposes (!! :p)
I found out that the latest DDBlack rom that my Mac accepts is the 41.2 version.
I can send you all my roms if you want or you can download from here whichever suits you
good luck!!

Thanks for the reply, extremely helpful...the only question is what program are you using to Load the VBIOS? the first screen shot, sorry again I'm new to this. I unfortunately watched a you-tuber that said the R9 280X cards would just "work" when plugged in but I guess there is more to it. Thanks again man!

Thanks for the reply, extremely helpful...the only question is what program are you using to Load the VBIOS? the first screen shot, sorry again I'm new to this. I unfortunately watched a you-tuber that said the R9 280X cards would just "work" when plugged in but I guess there is more to it. Thanks again man!
.... yes but not the XFX ones ....
The program you need is Clover Configurator
Steps:
Download, install , run
Mout EFI
Open EFI folder
In clover folder open plist file with clover configurator
Apply changes
Save
Restart

Hi there!
good luck!!

If you could share your ROMs that would be great, I can't seem to find the same ROMs that you have there on the site linked. Did you rename them? Just curious. I'm going to try the 41.0 version that is on the VGA BIOS site and see if it works. But any help would be great, I'm trying one card at a time right now.

I am not on my Mac right now but yes they are the same roms, i renamed them so I can recognise, duplicate, rename with delete to 1002-6798.rom

So I was able to flash the VBIOS on both my XFX R9 280X's to the same one. I flashed them both to Version 015.043.000.005.000000 or ROM Name (XFX.R9280X.3072.140218.rom). The problem I'm running into is when I boot up I can see the splash screen, it gets to the main clover screen and then I get as far as the Apple Logo and half a loading bar. Nothing more.

I've tried one card only and nothing...the other thing is, do I have to load the ROM into Clover Configurator? Or just check off the Load VBIOS and Inject ATI and it will pull it from the ROM file. Again this is my first go around with Clover Configurator and a Hackintosh, so I guess I'm a huge NOOB.

Also to note, both cards worked fine with the VBIOS in Windows 10...just can't seem to get them to work with El Capitan or Sierra. Thanks again for the help, anymore screen shots would be great.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back