Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] XFX R9 280X It Simply Won't Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
My R9 280 runs perfectly fine without doing anything (=> Inject / Ati = False, that's it). Neither Inject / Intel nor iGPU=Primary are necessary.

Okay... Do you have several displays connected? As I said I have a DVI, HDMI, and DP>DVI all connected. Also, what OEM is it? Mine's an ASUS.

It shouldn't make a difference. I'm usually using just a single 1440p screen, but it also works with multiple screens. Did you try unplugging the displays and booting with PCIE=Primary?

I'll try that now.

It shouldn't make a difference. I'm usually using just a single 1440p screen, but it also works with multiple screens. Did you try unplugging the displays and booting with PCIE=Primary?

Excuse my incoming language but HOLY F**K! All I had to do was disable some funky setting in my Asrock UEFI BIOS called "iGPU Multi-Display" or something like that, and that seems to have 100% disabled the HD 4000! Oh man. I'm so happy... Though.. it's only running at x4 speed/bandwidth...

AMD Radeon HD 7xxx:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x4
VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6798
Revision ID: 0x0000
Metal: Supported

Is that cosmetic or is it actually running at x4? I thought PCI-E slots ran at x8 or x16? My board is supposed to have PCI-E 3.0...

Whoa! I found a setting in my UEFI BIOS Utility called "IGPU MULTI-DISPLAY" or something along those lines. I turned that off and VOILA~ solo 280x ready to do my bidding! w00t! Also, sorry for that.

Nice! :)
By doing so, you've completely disabled your iGPU. I guess OS X didn't like to have a iGPU as 2nd graphics device, so it didn't boot. Quite sure this doesn't happen on my Skylake rig, but still good to know.

Yeah.... but for some reason I can't get audio working. Do you have audio working from your R9 280's HDMI port?

Hey guys! i know this is an old post but i am in the final stages of completing my Sierra installation and my XFX R9 280X DD Black Edition is almost fully working... so if you have any ideas (since you have the experience)it would be great

i used injectATI and Load Vbios - placing an asus rom in "Rom" clover folder naming it 1002_6798.rom and it worked like a charm. but only HDMI and 1 DVI port
after that i choose HAMACHI for framebuffer inside clover configurator settings and i can use even the mini display port.

so far i have a dual monitor setup with mDP and DVI.

Code:
AMD Radeon HD 7970X/8970/R9 280X:

Chipset Model:    AMD Radeon HD 7970X/8970/R9 280X
  Type:    GPU
  Bus:    PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:    x16
  VRAM (Total):    3072 MB
  Vendor:    ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:    0x6798
  Revision ID:    0x0000
  EFI Driver Version:    01.00.3180
  Metal:    Supported
  Displays:
LCD24WMCX:
  Resolution:    1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:    32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:    Yes
  Mirror:    Off
  Online:    Yes
  Rotation:    Supported
  Automatically Adjust Brightness:    No
  Connection Type:    DisplayPort
  Television:    Yes
W2286:
  Resolution:    1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:    32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Mirror:    Off
  Online:    Yes
  Rotation:    Supported
  Automatically Adjust Brightness:    No
  Television:    Yes

my problem is that the card shows very slow performance. That was an issue throughout all the stages above
What slow performance means:
Cinebench score = 47FPS . (under windows = 90~100)
Company of Heroes 2 = average frame rate ~10. (under windows ~50)

the strange thing is that the PC does n't sweat a bit. it uses so little power under stress (benching gaming etc) that makes me curious.
i have a Zalman ZM-MFC2 so i can see the wattage live.
When i run Company of heroes 2 Bench it barely reaches 140W while in windows it fires up 300W+
fans are working lazy and slow all the time under whatever load....
oh and i couldn't get CPU turbo-boost to work so far as well

any ideas?

thank you in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back