RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've not yet done the Hackintosh installation on my PC. I bought a Samsung EVO 960 SSD to use for High Sierra and am wondering when I should install it: now, while the PC only has Windows 10 on it... or later, immediately before I start the High Sierra procedure? If I install it now, I'm assuming Windows will want to format the drive for its own use. That may be okay, since at least that way I could test it and make sure I installed the drive okay. But will that in any way prevent or complicate my later reformatting it as HFS (or possibly APFS) during the Unibeast procedure?

I've not yet done the Hackintosh installation on my PC. I bought a Samsung EVO 960 SSD to use for High Sierra and am wondering when I should install it: now, while the PC only has Windows 10 on it... or later, immediately before I start the High Sierra procedure? If I install it now, I'm assuming Windows will want to format the drive for its own use. That may be okay, since at least that way I could test it and make sure I installed the drive okay. But will that in any way prevent or complicate my later reformatting it as HFS (or possibly APFS) during the Unibeast procedure?
  • I don't think it will be a problem the way you put it.
    • You don't have to format it in Windows ; it won't be automatically formatted just because it is installed and the BIOS recognizes it.
  • You can have a problem during macOS installation in that the Samsung EVO 960 NVME M.2 SSD may not show up in Disk Utility of the macOS High Sierra USB Installer disk that boots to the Installer screen.
  • With the Windows SATA Spin disk or SSD being there will facilitate detection of M.2 SSD but you may still have to unhide the M.2 SSD by either pressing Windows key (CMD key) + 2 or go to View >[√]Show All Devices in Disk Utility window's menu bar. That will display all hidden Internal and external disks.

Thanks for the advice! Yesterday I installed the EVO 960 as well as a second SATA3 3.5 drive that will ultimately hold my Mac files and, you're right, Windows didn't require me to format either of the new drives right off the bat. They both appear in Device Manager with a "working properly" status but are otherwise dormant. Thanks also for the tip about Disk Utility recognizing the EVO.. am gonna take a deep breath and try the install procedure later this week.

Thanks for the advice! Yesterday I installed the EVO 960 as well as a second SATA3 3.5 drive that will ultimately hold my Mac files and, you're right, Windows didn't require me to format either of the new drives right off the bat. They both appear in Device Manager with a "working properly" status but are otherwise dormant. Thanks also for the tip about Disk Utility recognizing the EVO.. am gonna take a deep breath and try the install procedure later this week.
Good luck with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back