Graphics
GTX 650ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just installed Sierra with no difficulty at all. However when I turn the machine on it shows a bogus warning that a USB device is using too much power and i have to unplug it to re-enable USB functionality. It's not true at all but it's annoying, cosmetically speaking. Any help would be appreciated. I know I'm not the first to have this problem but I can't find any solution on the forum. Everything seems to work, even Message, to my great surprise!

I just installed Sierra with no difficulty at all. However when I turn the machine on it shows a bogus warning that a USB device is using too much power and i have to unplug it to re-enable USB functionality. It's not true at all but it's annoying, cosmetically speaking. Any help would be appreciated. I know I'm not the first to have this problem but I can't find any solution on the forum. Everything seems to work, even Message, to my great surprise!

Do you have any 3rd party USB cards? Some USB hubs and devices can cause this.

I do indeed, but there's nothing connected to it at the minute. And i have a card reader and a rheobus, both of which have USB ports but again with nothing connected to them. I'll avoid connecting anything to them. I just moved the bluetooth dongle to an onboard port. Maybe that'll fix it. Thanks for your reply VioletDragon. Cool name btw ;)

I do indeed, but there's nothing connected to it at the minute. And i have a card reader and a rheobus, both of which have USB ports but again with nothing connected to them. I'll avoid connecting anything to them. I just moved the bluetooth dongle to an onboard port. Maybe that'll fix it. Thanks for your reply VioletDragon. Cool name btw ;)

You may need some USB patches. Is you're card reader connected to front USB header? You may have exceeded the 15 port restrictor but normally if that's the case some ports won't work.

I have 14 ports lol, couldn't be closer to the limit. The card reader is connected to one of the internal USB headers. I might just remove it altogether, i never use it.

ah now that i think about it, there's probably an internal USB port on the PCI card, so I've 15 ports. I've just checked and there is indeed a USB port inside connected to the PCI card so I've 15 ports. A bizarre thing is that they all work despite the warning.

On my Z77-DS3H the USB ports act a little strange occasionally.
To remedy it I shutdown and disconnect the mains lead then hold in the On button for 30 seconds or so.
Reconnect power, switch on and everything is back to normal - YMMV

I have 14 ports lol, couldn't be closer to the limit. The card reader is connected to one of the internal USB headers. I might just remove it altogether, i never use it.

Doesn't work like that. XHC controller which is USB 3 has 2 entries EH01 & EH02 which is USB 2 has 1 entry for each port.

On my Z77-DS3H the USB ports act a little strange occasionally.
To remedy it I shutdown and disconnect the mains lead then hold in the On button for 30 seconds or so.
Reconnect power, switch on and everything is back to normal - YMMV

Thanks P1lGRIM, that seems to have done the trick, bizarrely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back