Contribute
Register

[Solved] USB freezes loading installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post you made for another user is literally my problem right now. I followed all the steps you laid out in this post, but the EFI partition WON'T mount.
  • I assume you were able to install the System on the hard disk using the USB installer while using the Intel HD Graphics 4600 .
  • I assume your current boot problem shown in the verbose boot screen image uploaded to #19 occurred when you tried to switch to the Nvidia GT 740 you would have already removed during initial installation but reinserted at some point. Your post does not mention the details.
  • If the above is true, to troubleshoot that, reboot and enter the BIOS and make IGFX as Initial Display and choose DVMPT Pre-Allocated to 128 and save the BIOS and make your System Disk as First boot and only device in Boot Option Priorities and all other BIOS options previously made remain the same.
  • Shut Down PC after Screen shows "No Display"
  • Remove the Nvidia card and connect the video cable to Intel HD graphics.
  • Reboot and one more time, go to BIOS to make sure previously selected options are still there and then boot to CBM
  • Make sure the Option>Boot Args : -v dart=0 -disablegfxfirmware shikigva=1
  • Make sure GraphicsInjector-> [√]InjectIntel FakeID = 0x04128086 ig-platform-id=0x0D220003
  • Upload screen images of any verbose boot failure.
  • See if you can reach the High Sierra Desktop.
  • Mount EFI of System disk using Clover Configurator and upload CLOVER from that to the Forum to check its contents and configuration before making any other changes to the system unless you are confident about your choices to proceed.

• I assume you were able to install the System on the hard disk using the USB installer while using the Intel HD Graphics 4600 .
  • I assume your current boot problem shown in the verbose boot screen image uploaded to #19 occurred when you tried to switch to the Nvidia GT 740 you would have already removed during initial installation but reinserted at some point. Your post does not mention the details.
  • If the above is true, to troubleshoot that, reboot and enter the BIOS and make IGFX as Initial Display and choose DVMPT Pre-Allocated to 128 and save the BIOS and make your System Disk as First boot and only device in Boot Option Priorities and all other BIOS options previously made remain the same.
  • Reboot and one more time, go to BIOS to make sure previously selected options are still there and then boot to CBM
  • Make sure GraphicsInjector-> [√]InjectIntel FakeID = 0x04128086 ig-platform-id=0x0D220003
  • Mount EFI of System disk using Clover Configurator and upload CLOVER from that to the Forum to check its contents and configuration before making any other changes to the system unless you are confident about your choices to proceed.
I will try all of this. I'm sure I forgot to add the APSF drivers though. Would fixing that solve the problem (and could you walk me though how to do that)? I'm I was able to do a complete install with all of your suggestions. I had finished EVERYTHING, and was just rebooting back to the BIOS to switch to my GPU instead of the onboard graphics. I did some research on the forums, and I'm guessing that my drive was not appearing in Clover because I forgot the APSF drivers?

I can't do any of this...my HS drive does not show up in Clover.

I will try all of this. I'm sure I forgot to add the APSF drivers though. Would fixing that solve the problem (and could you walk me though how to do that)? I'm I was able to do a complete install with all of your suggestions. I had finished EVERYTHING, and was just rebooting back to the BIOS to switch to my GPU instead of the onboard graphics. I did some research on the forums, and I'm guessing that my drive was not appearing in Clover because I forgot the APSF drivers?

forgot to add the APSF drivers though. Would fixing that solve the problem (and could you walk me though how to do that)?

• What type of Hard disk is where you installed macOS High Sierra? SATA SpinDisk or SATA SSD?
  • Did you format it using APFS+GPT or HFS+J and GPT?
  • APFS.EFI is specific for each version of macOS High Sierra.
  • You can Find the needed APFS.EFI for download -> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-update-current-and-past-apfs-efi-downloads.236103/
  • APFS.EFI goes inside CLOVER/drivers64.UEFI
  • You have to Mount the EFI partition of the Disk on the desktop using CCV from DOWNLOAD
  • Click the grey EFI icon of EFI Partition of your hard disk mounted on the Desktop,
  • You can then open the EFI Folder containing CLOVER folder which contains drivers64UEFI folder to add the downloaded and copied APFS.EFI [See the uploaded image from my SATA HDD with macOS High Sierra Installation.]

Attachments

• 1.:EFI:CLOVER:drivers64UEFI.png
    1.:EFI:CLOVER:drivers64UEFI.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 76
I can't do any of this...my HS drive does not show up in Clover.
  • I missed this post and saw and replied to the following post in #24.
  • If your HS System disk does not show up in CBM screen , it may not have Clover Efi Bootloader installed ( using downloaded clover from Source forge.Net or using Multibeast for High Sierra).
  • If you had posted the BIOS >Boot Options Priorities screen image and/ or the F-12 "Device Selection Screen" image I would be able to figure out what could be happening.
  • Be that as it may, try to boot with the High Sierra UEFI USB installer Disk to reach CBM screen .
    • Take a Picture of that screen to upload to the Forum.
  • If that CBM Screen now shows your System HDD, switch to that and boot the System Disk and see if you can reach the Desktop of System Disk to mount its EFI and get its CLOVER to compress and upload to the Forum.

• I missed this post and saw and replied to the following post in #24.
  • If your HS System disk does not show up in CBM screen , it may not have Clover Efi Bootloader installed ( using downloaded clover from Source forge.Net or using Multibeast for High Sierra).
  • If you had posted the BIOS >Boot Options Priorities screen image and/ or the F-12 "Device Selection Screen" image I would be able to figure out what could be happening.
  • Be that as it may, try to boot with the High Sierra UEFI USB installer Disk to reach CBM screen .
    • Take a Picture of that screen to upload to the Forum.
  • If that CBM Screen now shows your System HDD, switch to that and boot the System Disk and see if you can reach the Desktop of System Disk to mount its EFI and get its CLOVER to compress and upload to the Forum.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, sorry. It is a SSD, formatted in HFS+J and GPU (thats what the tonymacx86 guide suggested...should this have been done as APFS?). It does appear when I boot from my USB Installer, however, the "hang" that I posted a picture of before is what happens when I try to load the System Disk. When the System Disk is the only thing enabled in the BIOS boot priorities, Clover does load, just the System Disk is not an option inside of Clover. When I change the Boot Option Priorities and boot from the USB Installer, the System Disk is there, but I am able to load the system disk in safe mode, however, the EFI partition won't mount. I've tried every method CCV, other programs...the EFI partition refuses to mount in Safe Mode.

• APFS.EFI is specific for each version of macOS High Sierra.
  • APFS.EFI goes inside CLOVER/drivers64.UEFI
This is what I didn't do...however, with the behavior I described above, I can't get back into my System Disk and mount the EFI partition to fix it...

Sorry, I should have been more clear, sorry. It is a SSD, formatted in HFS+J and GPU (thats what the tonymacx86 guide suggested...should this have been done as APFS?). It does appear when I boot from my USB Installer, however, the "hang" that I posted a picture of before is what happens when I try to load the System Disk. When the System Disk is the only thing enabled in the BIOS boot priorities, Clover does load, just the System Disk is not an option inside of Clover. When I change the Boot Option Priorities and boot from the USB Installer, the System Disk is there, but I am able to load the system disk in safe mode, however, the EFI partition won't mount. I've tried every method CCV, other programs...the EFI partition refuses to mount in Safe Mode.

This is what I didn't do...however, with the behavior I described above, I can't get back into my System Disk and mount the EFI partition to fix it...

• Based on all the information you have posted and connecting a lot of dots, I think you could successfully install macOS High Sierra on your SSD after formatting it in HFS+J+GPU ( that is the better of the two for beginners because the disk after format in HFS+J is more 'manageable' than with APFS) using Intel HD as Graphics.
  • However you probably did not install Clover EFI boot loader on it to make it bootable
  • You probably wanted to change the Graphics to Nvidia and started with steps to do that in BIOS, physically inserting the removed Nvidia Graphics in PCIE and reboot without the USB Installer which would have given the system support until it gets its own CLOVER.
  • As a result the Disk was not booting on its own and because of some file corruption you cannot boot it using USB Installer either.
  • If you want to prove whether it it has a corrupt CLOVER you can edit or confirm it has No CLOVER, where the only option is Reinstallation , I suggest the steps given below
    • The method to view and edit CLOVER through Windows is quite long. If you want it ( like a troubleshooter) , I have listed the steps below.
    • If you want a faster MacOS High Sierra , my advice Reinstall.

• If you have a system with Windows 10 , connect the non booting macOS HS SATA SSD using the SATA data cable and Power cable. ( or if this current system has a Windows 10 disk previously installed for dual boot, you can boot windows to its desktop)
    • You don't have to install the disk with rails inside the HDD cage.
    • You can pull the cables to outside the case and connect and let the disk lie outside on a non-conducting rubber mat or similar base where its exposed electronics won't come in contact with metal.
  • Boot Windows and reach its Desktop.
  • You can view and edit the EFI partition since it is Formatted as FAT and Windows can view files within EFI folder (CLOVER and other folders and config.plist)
  • But you need a special Tool >MiniTools Partition Wizard https://www.partitionwizard.com
  • If you launch it will scan all disks in the Dual boot Computer from Windows 10 or if you just hook the problem disk to Windows 10 where you install the Partition wizard. (See image) :
  • If you want to edit the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder adding APFS.EFI you can download and copy that.
  • You can copy the whole CLOVER zip it and upload to Forum for help.

Attachments

• MacOSHS_Disk_EFI_CLOVER in MiniTools Partition Wizard.png
    MacOSHS_Disk_EFI_CLOVER in MiniTools Partition Wizard.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • Based on all the information you have posted and connecting a lot of dots, I think you could successfully install macOS High Sierra on your SSD after formatting it in HFS+J+GPU ( that is the better of the two for beginners because the disk after format in HFS+J is more 'manageable' than with APFS) using Intel HD as Graphics.
  • However you probably did not install Clover EFI boot loader on it to make it bootable
  • You probably wanted to change the Graphics to Nvidia and started with steps to do that in BIOS, physically inserting the removed Nvidia Graphics in PCIE and reboot without the USB Installer which would have given the system support until it gets its own CLOVER.
  • As a result the Disk was not booting on its own and because of some file corruption you cannot boot it using USB Installer either.
  • If you want to prove whether it it has a corrupt CLOVER you can edit or confirm it has No CLOVER, where the only option is Reinstallation , I suggest the steps given below
    • The method to view and edit CLOVER through Windows is quite long. If you want it ( like a troubleshooter) , I have listed the steps below.
    • If you want a faster MacOS High Sierra , my advice Reinstall.
  • If you have a system with Windows 10 , connect the non booting macOS HS SATA SSD using the SATA data cable and Power cable. ( or if this current system has a Windows 10 disk previously installed for dual boot, you can boot windows to its desktop)
    • You don't have to install the disk with rails inside the HDD cage.
    • You can pull the cables to outside the case and connect and let the disk lie outside on a non-conducting rubber mat or similar base where its exposed electronics won't come in contact with metal.
  • Boot Windows and reach its Desktop.
  • You can view and edit the EFI partition since it is Formatted as FAT and Windows can view files within EFI folder (CLOVER and other folders and config.plist)
  • But you need a special Tool >MiniTools Partition Wizard https://www.partitionwizard.com
  • If you launch it will scan all disks in the Dual boot Computer from Windows 10 or if you just hook the problem disk to Windows 10 where you install the Partition wizard. (See image) :
  • If you want to edit the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder adding APFS.EFI you can download and copy that.
  • You can copy the whole CLOVER zip it and upload to Forum for help.
Thanks...that was my conclusion as well. A reinstall it is!

I was really careful to follow your steps very carefully. I did install Clover on my System Disk. I'm 99.99999% sure of it. I am certain, though, that I forgot to install APFS.EFI...I skipped that step. I was digging around the forms some more, and some other users who also forgot APFS.EFI had some similar issues. The tonymacx86 guide said APFS would be taken care of on its own...which I now know means via Multibeast. I didn't connect the dots that I would need to manually do that since I'm not using Multibeast.

Lets hope that reinstall #3 is the charm :D

I was really careful to follow your steps very carefully. I did install Clover on my System Disk. I'm 99.99999% sure of it. I am certain, though, that I forgot to install APFS.EFI...I skipped that step. I was digging around the forms some more, and some other users who also forgot APFS.EFI had some similar issues. The tonymacx86 guide said APFS would be taken care of on its own...which I now know means via Multibeast. I didn't connect the dots that I would need to manually do that since I'm not using Multibeast.

Every inconvenience is an Adventure :D (Paraphrasing Chesterton)

By the way , more than the omission to copy and paste APFS.EFI to CLOVER/driversUEFI ( because you did not install in APFS formatted SSD) , it was what Multibeast did on your CLOVER that did you in.

The lesson from that:
Even if you use Mulitibeast, always use CCV and check your CLOVER in total before rebooting with it.
Always check BIOS one more time before booting during install with a new disk
Always check Options and submenu to make sure the disk you are about to boot has every instruction it needs for the journey to its destination screen
In CLOVER:
Check
kexts/Other,
empty numbered folders which delay boot ,
Remove themes you don't like from Themes folder or add what you may really like to see your icons in CBM screen to appear as, Review all config.plist sections with a fine tooth comb from ACPI to System Parameters exactly like you want the Pilot of your aircraft checked before he/she takes control of your plane.
Config.plist is the pilot of CLOVER aircraft to fly to its destination without boot failure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back