Contribute
Register

[Solved] unknown CPU model 0x3C - H97N-Wifi, onboard gfx, i3 4170, El Capitan, Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 750 TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Hey hackers,

I am trying to get the following to work :

MB : H97N-Wifi
CPU : i3 4170
Gfx: onboard Intel HD, plugged via HDMI or DVI
Boot : Clover
PSU: corsair VS350
Case : who cares ?
WiFi : the recommended PCI card from the buying guide
HDD = 1TB from seagate

I successfully installed El Capitan, with no issues. After the installation, I applied a few options in Multibeast :
Sound card (892), Atheros and Intel network driver, iMac 14,2, … (took Storck's config).

Now, when booting, I'm always stuck right after :

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPoerManagement) timed out
WARNING: IOPlatformPlutingUtil : getCPUIDInfo : this is an unknown CPU model 0x3C
-- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

And then it cycles through:

Profile[0]: mode :0; desense:0; desense_level:0; chain_power_offset:0,0,0,0,
Profile[1]: mode :0; desense:0; desense_level:0; chain_power_offset:-7,0,-7,0,
Profile[2]: mode :0; desense:0; desense_level:0; chain_power_offset:-7,0,-7,0,
Apple80211Requets[10154] Unsupported ioctl 221
IOCTL not recognized: 221 out of 236

(I suspect this to be due to the unsupported onboard WiFi, and has nothing to do with my problem ?)

I've plugged the screen to the other MB HDMI port, no luck. I also tried switching to DVI instead of HDMI. I have tried safe mode, booting with nv_disable=1, using another FakeCPUID (used the Haswell code, 0x0306C0,… ).

Still no luck.

I double-checked the BIOS settings, and it seems to be as expected XMP profile1, no VT-D (it isn't a 'K' processor, so … ), …

Anything that could help ? Any specific log on the box that can give more details about what the problem is ?

Cheers,
Petzi

Ok, I'm replying to myself, as I've applied additional brain juice for a couple of hours, and finally found the root cause of the problem.

I'm going to repeat one thing I've seen a few times, but which was buried in way too many threads :

This "unknown CPU model" is just a warning. That's it. It's not the reason why the boot stops. It's just an indication, the problem is elsewhere. And that was the tricky part !

Many hints pointed to the graphic card, but I didn't realise the HD4400 was the culprit (stupid me, I thought it was supported OOB). This is why the nv_disable=1 or any other boot flag wasn't working.

So, after a fresh re-install, I booted from the USB stick (by pressing F12), and then selected the HDD from the menu. Which got me to the login screen of the newly installed box. From a terminal, I mounted the EFI partition :

diskutil mount EFI

I then edited the file /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist, and changed the Intel FakeID in the Devices section to :

<key>IntelGFX</key>
<string>0x04128086</string>

to match the Intel HD4400 on my i3 Haswell. I also simply copied FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics kextss from RehabMan (cool post BTW) in /Library/Extensions, and *kaboom*. Boot worked.

So I now have a fully functionnal H97N, accelerated GFX, sleep/wake, sound, ... everything works perfectly well !

Huge thanks to RehabMan for the files and post, and to the whole hackintosh community for all the info made available !

I'm glad you got it working. I chose the iMac 14,2 System Definition because I had a descrete graphics card like the iMac14,2. If you're using on-board graphics, you might try iMac14,1. However, if it works, don't fix it. :thumbup: :lol:

Well, your "Hector" build and goldeng's successful box were definitely the reason why I went with this cheap MoBo and CPU. I wanted a hassle-free installation. Took me 1 hour to mount the box, and 2 days to find what was wrong with my install ... :banghead:

And yeah, 14,2 works fine for me, so I'm not planning on fixing it at the moment :D

I'm glad you got it working. I chose the iMac 14,2 System Definition because I had a descrete graphics card like the iMac14,2. If you're using on-board graphics, you might try iMac14,1. However, if it works, don't fix it. :thumbup: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back