Contribute
Register

[solved] took long enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to boot the OS (in an installed partition) with the 2017-003 Security update installed (using the updated CLOVER (r4128) on my EFI partition or using the USB installer created using the guide). Both failed to boot the OS with the update installed.
The USB installer works if the update is not installed.
Is it safe to assume that the update changed something that causes an infinite boot loop? Both of my laptops (you can see in signature below) exhibit the same problem when the update is installed.

Probably a Clover problem.
But you should do a fresh download as most security updates are rolled into the latest installer downloaded from the App Store.

ok now its getting weirder... prepared a stick with the newest instructions (just clover, hfsplus.efi, vodoo, fakesmc and the untouched plist for HD5500)... added an old installer I have laying around, booted it, 'prepared for install' just fine, then rebooted... same crap happens? wtf? the installer does not put an older kernel to boot from it on the HD???

anyway... doing it the hard way now (time machine... from october lol) lets see what happens.

tm restore fixed it... lesson learned, don't be cocky and always backup b4 applying updates :)

all good now, updated everything to 2017-002, clover 4128, etc... rock solid.

@RehabMan, you mentioned previously that my ACPI is wrong... were you referring to the SSDT.aml? That is for CPU/GPU p-states, without that SSDT my clock speeds don't work quite well, for example the GPU speed stays stuck @ 300MHz. the SSDT patch fixes all that (throttling works, etc).

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
@RehabMan Wait, I don't get this - you apparently found a problem with his ACPI configuration, but when he asked you for details about what you saw you say you don't know without proper "Problem Reporting files".

Yet clearly you saw an issue. Why not just state what problem you saw without sounding like a broken record with the reporting files stuff?

I'd understand needing the files, except that you already stated you found a problem! It seems a bit disingenuous to mention a problem you saw, but then not give any details. You must have had enough information in his then current reporting files to um, you know... see a problem?

Why not just say what you saw - even if it's not a fix for the boot up problem!

This entire thread came off as pretty confrontational with you stating basically "you're STILL not following directions" over and over. Which may have been true, but then it turns out to be a cover issue. Hmmm.

After years here, I'm finally starting to see why people are beginning to grumble a bit about this site. :/

:: QUOTE :: =====
@RehabMan, you mentioned previously that my ACPI is wrong... were you referring to the SSDT.aml?
No idea without "Problem Reporting" files.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

@RehabMan Wait, I don't get this - you apparently found a problem with his ACPI configuration, but when he asked you for details about what you saw you say you don't know without proper "Problem Reporting files".

Yet clearly you saw an issue. Why not just state what problem you saw without sounding like a broken record with the reporting files stuff?

I'd understand needing the files, except that you already stated you found a problem! It seems a bit disingenuous to mention a problem you saw, but then not give any details. You must have had enough information in his then current reporting files to um, you know... see a problem?

Why not just say what you saw - even if it's not a fix for the boot up problem!

This entire thread came off as pretty confrontational with you stating basically "you're STILL not following directions" over and over. Which may have been true, but then it turns out to be a cover issue. Hmmm.

After years here, I'm finally starting to see why people are beginning to grumble a bit about this site. :/

:: QUOTE :: =====
@RehabMan, you mentioned previously that my ACPI is wrong... were you referring to the SSDT.aml?
No idea without "Problem Reporting" files.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

When diagnosing a problem, I cannot predict where I may need to look.
Hence why all "Problem Reporting" files must be provided.

I don't want to waste my time getting part way through diagnosing a problem, only to discover I need data that wasn't provided, and then have to restart the process when the data is finally provided.
I assume the person answering the question doesn't want me to waste my time either.

As far as why nothing can be answered regarding ACPI by the files in post #26, the person forgot to press F4, so ACPI/origin is empty. Impossible to tell what might be wrong with ACPI/patched without files to compare in ACPI/origin. And FYI... the DSDT.aml in ACPI/patched was not patched based on my guide.

--

And really, this problem is already solved (by me).
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-10-11-6-security-update-2017-003.228983/

Last edited:
and yet @RehabMan fixed the clover issue for us... apparently apple broke the PM hacks in clover with this new kernel.

See? he's not bad :)

But my DSDT patches came all from your repository IIRC, except for the battery thing that I did manually with your guidance. But that was like 2 years ago.

The SSDT on the other hand is from SSDTPRGEN.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back