Contribute
Register

[solved] Sierra USB kernel panic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I also have a Dell laptop and I was also having trouble setting the DVMT-Prealloc until someone on this forum helped me, and I was able to adjust it successfully and now i can boot without the Stolensize patch.

You can find the steps to set the DVMT-Prealloc under "Fixing Intel HD 520 Graphics" in my guide here if you're interested : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-inspiron-i5559-on-macos-sierra-gm.203688/

Note that I don't have the same laptop as you, but if you're also having a dell bios the steps should be the same. Follow the guide carefully, I'm not responsible for your machine if you brick it doing anything incorrectly :p but these steps worked for me :)
Thank you for your effort but it's an unknown brand from China. I'm having trouble getting the bios file, maybe the vendor can send it to me so i can edit dvmt. Then still, i don't know if that is the problem.

I have removed the BDW kext patch from clover and i'm able to boot without it. So i guess it was only for install USB.

Is there a way to accelerate my igpu?

I've tried 16160000, 16160002, 16160009. They all give the verbose in attached screenshot.

BDW patch only matters if the graphics drivers are loading.

So that means i should use it to possibly get acceleration?

Combination of patch present and enabled (if you can't set DVMT-prealloc), correct ig-platform-id, and booting with a Clover setup that allows Clover to patch the kext (boot without caches or use ForceKextsToLoad).

Combination of patch present and enabled (if you can't set DVMT-prealloc), correct ig-platform-id, and booting with a Clover setup that allows Clover to patch the kext (boot without caches or use ForceKextsToLoad).
Is it possible to check if the patch works?

Edit: tried El capitan with the El capitan beta BDW patch and 16160002. I'm getting weird images: screenshots. Is there a fix for this?

Edit: same with 16160000

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I made a screenshot with the garbled screen. Booting with ig platform 12345678 allows me to look at the screenshot and it confirms that the igpu was accelerated! Only problem is the screen is garbled like in the screens of above comment. Anything i can do about it?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 178
Thank you for your effort but it's an unknown brand from China. I'm having trouble getting the bios file, maybe the vendor can send it to me so i can edit dvmt. Then still, i don't know if that is the problem.
Ohh but you can still try the extractor if you want, its a universal one and it will extract directly from the BIOS installed in your computer, not the setup file or anything. So it might just work regardless of your brand. Worth a shot :)

Ohh but you can still try the extractor if you want, its a universal one and it will extract directly from the BIOS installed in your computer, not the setup file or anything. So it might just work regardless of your brand. Worth a shot :)
Yeah i tried it, the utility could not read my bios unfortunately but i think i almost got it right. Thanks anyway :)

Okay i read somewhere that changing the resolution can help to get rid of the garbled screen. So, i booted with ig platform 0x12345678 and pin pointed the steps to change resolution on a paper sheet. Next, i booted back up with ig platform 0x16160000 to get accelerated graphics but a garbled screen. I used the sheet of paper to change resolution and it worked, screen is no longer garbled and i have accelerated intel HD 5500 :D

I still need to test if i need to take these steps (changing res) every boot.

edit: i need to do it again if i reboot with resolution at 1920*1080 (garbled screen on reboot)
if i reboot with resolution at 1600*900 i boot without the garbled screen. Is there a way to also have this for 1920*1080? Or does the MacBook Air 7,2 SMBIOS have something to do with it?

Last edited:
Is it possible to check if the patch works?

Edit: tried El capitan with the El capitan beta BDW patch and 16160002. I'm getting weird images: screenshots. Is there a fix for this?

Edit: same with 16160000

Enable CSM/legacy boot in BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back