Contribute
Register

[Solved] OSX10.8.5 stuck at apple logo after RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ran Memtest86 for 24 hours? Always recommend re-patching DSDT after hardware change.

I'll try memtest86 soon.
What does repatching dsdt mean? Is that just reinstall via multibeast and then loading the right dsdt.aml file via the user dsdt option in the setup?
Sorry, I'm a musician working on a hackintosh :)

I'll try memtest86 soon.
What does repatching dsdt mean? Is that just reinstall via multibeast and then loading the right dsdt.aml file via the user dsdt option in the setup?
Sorry, I'm a musician working on a hackintosh :)

No. Re-patching a DSDT involved extracting a Clean Native DSDT from ACPI.

System boots in safe mode...
I inserted all 4 memory sticks and all are recognised and are marked "OK"

Now, this is weird though: My new memory sticks are shown as 1600Mhz modules. But they are 1333Mhz modules.
I thought the mobo automatically makes the RAM work on the lowest speed? + my new sticks can't even run at 1600...

Can we learn something from this?
Are they identified incorrectly?

Attachments

• IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 96
System boots in safe mode...
I inserted all 4 memory sticks and all are recognised and are marked "OK"

Now, this is weird though: My new memory sticks are shown as 1600Mhz modules. But they are 1333Mhz modules.
I thought the mobo automatically makes the RAM work on the lowest speed? + my new sticks can't even run at 1600...

Can we learn something from this?
Are they identified incorrectly?

I think you are mistaken :
Samsung M378B5173EB0-YK0 - 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Single Module Low Power

Just installed other RAM sticks that have the exact same specifications (1333mhz, cl9, pc3 10600) as the old ones, but then 4Gb's. Only other difference is that they are non-ECC.
Still having the same problem. Still boots in -x mode, but not in normal mode.
Is it because I'm having over 4GB of RAM? I read some things about that being something that makes a difference.

Could a clean install of OSX fix this problem? I hope there is an easier way to make this work though...
I don't know how to repatch DSDT, it's pure chinese for me.

Doe your system boot with the just the original RAM sticks? If not check the RAM settings in the BIOS/UEFI and set up as appropriate. Over 4GB of RAM isn't an issue for running OS X/macOS

Please update your personal profile to add your motherboard/CPU and GPU info.
Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Doe your system boot with the just the original RAM sticks? If not check the RAM settings in the BIOS/UEFI and set up as appropriate. Over 4GB of RAM isn't an issue for running OS X/macOS

Please update your personal profile to add your motherboard/CPU and GPU info.

Updated profile!

This is what happens with different combinations of Ram in the ram slots

1 Old RAM 2GB
2 -
3 Old RAM 2GB
4 -

-> Recommended configuration. System boots and runs great (also if i use the other slots, though some combinations are not 'recommended' for bandwidth says osx)

1 New RAM 4GB
2 New RAM 4GB
3 Old RAM 2GB
4 Old RAM 2GB

-> System stops booting when at apple logo. No spinning wheel appears. Can boot in safe mode (-x). Verbose says:

Using a non default kernel (n) without specifying 'Kernel Cache' path, KernelCache will not be used
Loading kernel /n
Can't find /n
Press a key to continue...

1 New RAM 4GB
2 -
3 New RAM 4GB
4 -

-> same as above

1 New RAM 4GB
2 -
3 -
4 -

-> Boot loop. Restarts after 'Memory status: OK' (before drives are loaded)

Last edited:
From your motherboard manual :
Make sure that the motherboard supports the memory. It is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.

RAM.png

See how the slot numbers differ from how you have described them in your last post ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back