Contribute
Register

[SOLVED]Nvidia GT 740 SC 4GB - Not compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Custom
CPU
Intel i5-6400
Graphics
Nvidia 740 SC 4GB DDR3
I purchased this card because it is on the Buyer's Guide (latest version), but no matter what I do, I can't get it to work, but in the same computer, it works under Windows 10 perfectly. Can anyone help?

Simply performing a clean install (starting from scratch) I just get a black screen after the Apple logo and loading bar complete. It appears the monitor's signal gets dropped, but I can see the hard drive cooking for a while afterwards.

I've tried adding nvda_dev=1 to the Clover boot args and also tried (separately) nvdisable=1. I also tried various options in the Clover Graphics Injector menu. Nothing produces a different result.

Everything works if I use the built-in Intel 550 graphics. OSX El Capitan runs fine. However, using the EVGA GT 740 SC w/4GB vram does not. I'm really hoping someone knows how to get past this.

MSI Z170A PC MATE mobo
Intel i5-6400 Skylake
4GB DDR4 Ballistix Sport (enough to get started)
EVGA 740 SC 4GB DDR3 vid card (purchased this from the latest Buyer's Guide)
TP Link WiFi card (don't recall the model, but it's working and not a problem)
2 Toshiba 1TB HD's SATA
IO Gear Bluetooth 4.0 USB plug
DVD-R drive (detects as Superdrive and works fine)

What system definition are you using? If you are using iMac15,1, iMac17,1, or MacPro6,1, you need to apply the "Black Screen Fix".

Look at problem #4 on this post.

What system definition are you using? If you are using iMac15,1, iMac17,1, or MacPro6,1, you need to apply the "Black Screen Fix".

Look at problem #4 on this post.
Hi Pastrychef,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it!

With your recommendation, remember, I'm not even getting to the Mac OSX install screen. Setting the machine type doesn't even come into play at that stage, unless I'm missing something? On my prior (working) install, where I used the built-in Intel gpu, I had set the machine type to 12,2 (iMac), but I could only do that post-install. The drive is formatted clean to help narrow the issue at this point. So right now, getting the Mac OSX install screen to come up would seem like a victory.

Have you tried disabling the Intel HD 530 graphics?

Have you tried disabling the Intel HD 530 graphics?
Yes. In multiple ways, but basically when you insert a graphics card and disable multi-monitor, you no longer have access to the Intel 530.

I would try to get macOS installed first then install and activate the Nvidia web drivers. Then try to re-enable the HD 530 afterwards.

I would try to get macOS installed first then install and activate the Nvidia web drivers. Then try to re-enable the HD 530 afterwards.
Hey pastrychef, The reason I started with a clean install is because I had done that using just the Intel gpu (before the 740 arrived), It was all running. After I added the 740, I could never get into the OS to even think about running the web drivers sadly.

Kazbah - Thanks! I'll try that :)

I started my system with a GTX 980 and the HD 530 disabled. After I had El Capitan up and running, I tried enabling the HD 530 and had both working. Eventually, I ended up disabling the HD 530 again because I didn't need it.

I started my system with a GTX 980 and the HD 530 disabled. After I had El Capitan up and running, I tried enabling the HD 530 and had both working. Eventually, I ended up disabling the HD 530 again because I didn't need it.
That's cool. I wish the 740 was that easy. I can't believe it's on the Buyer's Guide with it being this difficult. Everything else that didn't work right away that was on the list was fairly easy to get running. This one should maybe not be on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back