Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.

The blog post by Mark Harris is about the new features of CUDA 8 available with the Pascal Architecture. One of these features is "Unified Memory". This paragraph seems to confirm that support for Pascal is coming to Mac OS X:

CUDA 8 Features Revealed

UNIFIED MEMORY SUPPORT ON MAC OS X

In addition to Pascal support in CUDA 8, CUDA 8 platform support for Unified Memory expands to Mac OS X. Now developers using Macs with NVIDIA GPUs can take advantage of the benefits and convenience of Unified Memory in their applications.

Also note this:
Certain operating system modifications are required to enable Unified Memory with the system allocator. NVIDIA is collaborating with Red Hat and working within the Linux community to enable this powerful functionality.

I interpret this to mean that nVidia is getting support from Apple to bring unified memory to OS X.

The blog post by Mark Harris is about the new features of CUDA 8 available with the Pascal Architecture. One of these features is "Unified Memory". This paragraph seems to confirm that support for Pascal is coming to Mac OS X:

Also note this:

I interpret this to mean that nVidia is getting support from Apple to bring unified memory to OS X.

The point still stands. nVidia cares/needs OS X support on OS X, hence blog posts mentioning OS X support.

Has anyone tried installing the release candidate of Cuda 8? Possibly the Pascal drivers for OSX are bundled in there? You can get the download after signing up for a free account. I would give it a try on my system, but I am at work at the moment, but I will try it the very instant that I get home.
I suppose it would probably contain the CUDA driver, but may not contain a full blown graphics driver. Nonetheless, it may be worth a shot.
Cuda Toolkit Download: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit

Last edited:
Has anyone tried installing the release candidate of Cuda 8? Possibly the Pascal drivers for OSX are bundled in there? You can get the download after signing up for a free account. I would give it a try on my system, but I am at work at the moment, but I will try it the very instant that I get home.
I suppose it would probably contain the CUDA driver, but may not contain a full blown graphics driver. Nonetheless, it may be worth a shot.
Cuda Toolkit Download: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit

I downloaded the dmg and looked through it. No traces of 10.11 webdrivers for 1080 or any other driver. Just CUDA stuff.

I just installed El Capitan with my GTX 1080 and the CUDA drivers did not work :( I really doubt this card is ever going to work :(

I use my EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked for Windows 10 and my old EVGA GTX 660 for Mac. Both work fine. All I have to do before booting is change the PCIE output in the BIOS and change the Displayport output to HDMI (only because I don't have an extra cable) on the monitor. LOVE the 1070. Only concern that I have is power draw from psu. 1070 runs idle on mac side and 660 runs idle on windows. Seriously though get the 1070!

I use my EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked for Windows 10 and my old EVGA GTX 660 for Mac. Both work fine. All I have to do before booting is change the PCIE output in the BIOS and change the Displayport output to HDMI (only because I don't have an extra cable) on the monitor. LOVE the 1070. Only concern that I have is power draw from psu. 1070 runs idle on mac side and 660 runs idle on windows. Seriously though get the 1070!

Now why didn't I think of that?! (double facepalm:banghead:) I also have my old GTX 660....going to install i right away...thanks!

I downloaded the dmg and looked through it. No traces of 10.11 webdrivers for 1080 or any other driver. Just CUDA stuff.

Bummer. :( Well, it was worth a shot.

There's no reason nVidia provides any graphic drivers through CUDA toolkits. Both are completely different things.

For Pascal support, we should watch the upcoming Web driver for sierra instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back