Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using the latest nVidia drivers - 346.03.10f02 on MacOS El Capitan 10.11.5
Any suggestion?
As long as Nvidia doesn't release Mac drivers for Pascal, there's no way to achieve support with acceleration.

As already stated, I won't give in too much into Apple's current support for Polaris. Who knows how things will go 2 years later. Nvidia has to keep up the support if they hope to do business with Apple on a greater scale again.

Best card for run Open cl - Final Cut, Da Vinci Resolve - is 290X. Period.
Sounds like fanboy. I cannot imagine its better than a D700, or GTX 1070 when nvidia pushes Pascal support. Why should a almost 4-year old card provide the best performance?

The R9 290X outperforms the ancient D700 by far: http://barefeats.com/gtx980d.html
It's also faster than a GTX 980, especially in FCPX (which is missing in that barefeats benchmark).

I guess GTX 1070 vs. R9 290X would compete head on head in most relevant OpenCL based Mac pro applications, but we'd have to wait for some benchmarks. The GTX 1070 offers ~10-20% more raw compute power (don't know the exact numbers), but traditionally most OpenCL benchmarks / apps are performing better on AMD.

The R9 290X outperforms the ancient D700 by far: http://barefeats.com/gtx980d.html
It's also faster than a GTX 980, especially in FCPX (which is missing in that barefeats benchmark).

I guess GTX 1070 vs. R9 290X would compete head on head in most relevant OpenCL based Mac pro applications, but we'd have to wait for some benchmarks. The GTX 1070 offers ~10-20% more raw compute power (don't know the exact numbers), but traditionally most OpenCL benchmarks / apps are performing better on AMD.
My apologies then! I couldn't imagine this to be the case.

I was only able to do this when I change my bios setting to use iGPU as first graphic adapter. Its pretty annoying to keep changing the bios setting every time I boot into each OS... hoping NVIDIA to release web driver for pascal soon
I use iGPU as the first graphics in my bios, and use the DVI port on my mb to boot into El Capitan without any issue. I also connect the DP port of my monitor to that on my gtx 1080, which gives me full graphics acceleration on the windows.

So, all I need to do is just to switch the input source of my monitor, instead of keeping changing the bios. So, I guess it'll work for anyone, whose monitor has both DP and DVI ports.

I use iGPU as the first graphics in my bios, and use the DVI port on my mb to boot into El Capitan without any issue. I also connect the DP port of my monitor to that on my gtx 1080, which gives me full graphics acceleration on the windows.

So, all I need to do is just to switch the input source of my monitor, instead of keeping changing the bios. So, I guess it'll work for anyone, whose monitor has both DP and DVI ports.

Good that this works.
Unfortunately my mb (Or any mb, I don't know) does not support 4k resolution through IGPU.
So even without acceleration this is another major drawback at least for me.

Good that this works.
Unfortunately my mb (Or any mb, I don't know) does not support 4k resolution through IGPU.
So even without acceleration this is another major drawback at least for me.

MSI Gaming boards support 4K through the IGP.

If it supports it (at 60hz), I must be missing a setting or something.
At the preference pane I was unable to choose 4k@60hz...
I have displayport on the mb which I used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back