Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here is what I found in the detailed specs:
- 1 x DisplayPort, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2304@24Hz, 2560x1600@60Hz, 3840x2160@60Hz,1920x1200@60Hz

so no 60hz

Well, here is what I found in the detailed specs:
- 1 x DisplayPort, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2304@24Hz, 2560x1600@60Hz, 3840x2160@60Hz,1920x1200@60Hz

so no 60hz

3840x2160@60Hz... You copied and pasted it yourself.

Probably an amazingly stupid question..

Why cant the 960/970 driver be modified to act as a 1070/1080 driver but just using the same APIs/Instructions as the older card?

Surely the new card could still process the previous API calls but just wouldn't be able to use the new APIs introduced in the 10 series.

There are drivers available for the 1080 on every platform except the Mac. If the above is completely impossible cant somebody with some driver experience reverse engineer one of the Linux versions that have been posted?

I can't believe that not 1 of the 10s of thousands of programmers out there cant hack/find a way to get the card to work in at least a semi-crippled mode with some acceleration, etc.

Thanks,
Zen

Due to Nvidia's Unified Driver Architecture it might actually be possible to get at least something better than "software rendering" mode, because the drivers can (theoretically) provide backwards and forwards compatibility.

I already suggested some weeks ago to spoof the device ID to match a Maxwell ID, but I don't know if anyone has tested this so far. I don't think that it'll be that easy though, because Nvidia already issued a OS X Web Driver based on revision 367 which lacks Pascal support, although it should be included, so there might be some problems.

Reverse engineering the drivers is an extremely difficult task. We're talking about poorly documented hardware, closed source software and one of the most complex devices in your computer.
The nouveau project went that way to create a free Linux driver for Nvidia GPUs. With lots of manpower and years of hard work, they created a driver which can at least provide basic 2D/3D support. I can't see that happen on OS X though, we don't have such a big open source / free software community.

It's a perfectly normal situation, new hardware usually needs a few months (sometimes more) to get OS X support. Nothing to worry about.

Don't worry guys, nVidia is guaranted to release a Web driver for the 1080.

Matter of fact, they will release it in a few eeks for 10.11.x and Sierra when it's released.

Why? Because nVidia makes money on OS X clients. People who get nVidia cards to run on Classic Mac Pros and software such as Octane are pretty popular under OS X and CUDA is required. People also use CUDA under DaVinci Resolve and OS X. They also know the Hackintosh community is pretty huge and they want to keep everyone here as customers.

nVidia knows this so they have devoted resources to the OS X WebDriver development. CUDA and the pro market leans on OS X, so they won't let you know.

I'm sure their OS X team isn't as big as their Windows team, but it's big enough that they'll continue supporting OS X for the foreseeable future.

So give it a little bit, the 1080/1070 JUST came out a few weeks ago and Sierra is in beta testing stage. They are very much aware of the OS X nVidia users. They are not doing this to appease to Apple, but to keep enthusiasts on nVidia cards. I just wish they had more resource so they can beta test internally and then release drivers when new hardware or OS updates become available, but I assume it's a very small team.

Also the 280x has the BEST performance for FCPX. 290x is actually slower.
The reason? Apple literally only has support for these cards in FCPX. FCPX uses OpenCL, but it's geared towards the 280x and the AMD cards in their MacBook Pro and Mac Pro Trashcan.

If you are having issues with your nVidia card and FCPX, try changing your system to Mac Pro 3,1 or Mac Pro 5,1, NOT iMac 12,1 etc.

Last edited:
http://netkas.org/?p=1440

for those of you (like me) hoping for Polaris support. I really like the performance/price of the RX480 on the windows side - $199 (4GB) $229 (8GB). Sure it's nowhere near as fast as a GTX 1070, but at about $200, it still provides very good performance - much better than my GTX 960.

I really hope that's the case. Plan on building my new rig in a couple months with the 1080.

I just built a rig, but holding off of a GPU and will use iGPU for now on a Skylake CPU until nVidia is supported via 1080 driver.

Look out for WebDriver update end of July or early/mid August. I just wish nVidia would release things faster but I'm sure their OS X team is tiny due to resources.

Someone should tweet Mark here and ask when the drivers will come:

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/cuda-8-features-revealed/
https://twitter.com/harrism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back