Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
And btw, Nvidia mentioned in their official blog that the CUDA 8.0 release for Mac will have Pascal support and its release is scheduled for August. So it's a good guess that web drivers will be updated at the same time.

Perhaps it would be best to wait until August to buy the 1080 if this is the case. I really want to go Hackintosh but with only a 970 I don't think I'd have much power in FCP and Motion :(

And btw, Nvidia mentioned in their official blog that the CUDA 8.0 release for Mac will have Pascal support and its release is scheduled for August. So it's a good guess that web drivers will be updated at the same time.

Is it true? I didn't read the original post, but it seems to state that:
  • CUDA 8.0 will support Pascal.
  • Unified Memory will support MacOS X in CUDA 8.0.
Based on the above, there's no direct connection with Pascal support on Mac.
August is possible but not a safe bet IMHO.

I agree that the wording does sound a little ambiguous. With Apple reportedly choosing to go with AMD Polaris chips in their iMacs and laptops, I think the only legitimate users of Pascal-based cards would be those using the old style Mac Pros. If that's the case then Nvidia would essentially be releasing drivers solely for people looking to upgrade 4+ year old machines and that might not be enough to warrant them doing so.

I'm really looking to upgrade my GTX 680 for gaming purposes (in a dual-boot Windows system) but will hold off until something official is announced for Macs as its simply too much money for me to invest if I can't get full use out of it.

I would suggest to those that are designers and want to upgrade to gtx 1070 and 1080 to download PSD Codecs and Seer for windows and stick to that until August or whatever.

Last edited:
This is the original post:
https://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/cuda-8-features-revealed/

Yeah, they don't say "Pascal drivers for Mac coming soon", but developing CUDA 8 with Pascal support doesn't make much sense without graphics drivers, right? :)

Can you try using GTX 1080 for windows to boot and IGPU intel to boot OSX bro ?

I tried this, unfortunately, I cannot get MacOS to boot properly. It just gives me an X when I go to boot from Clover. Still trying to Diagnose this, because it should work.

I tried this, unfortunately, I cannot get MacOS to boot properly. It just gives me an X when I go to boot from Clover. Still trying to Diagnose this, because it should work.
I was only able to do this when I change my bios setting to use iGPU as first graphic adapter. Its pretty annoying to keep changing the bios setting every time I boot into each OS... hoping NVIDIA to release web driver for pascal soon

With Apple reportedly choosing to go with AMD Polaris chips in their iMacs and laptops, I think the only legitimate users of Pascal-based cards would be those using the old style Mac Pros. If that's the case then Nvidia would essentially be releasing drivers solely for people looking to upgrade 4+ year old machines and that might not be enough to warrant them doing so.

Whilst it's true the only customers Nvidia have today are 4 year old Mac Pros and hackintoshes, it's worthwhile to remember that Nvidia would undoubtedly like to win Apple's business back from AMD again in the future. They can't do this without drivers. Apple have long see-sawed between ATI and Nvidia for their GPUs, pitting them against each other doubtless helps drive their purchase costs down. I think keeping the web driver ticking over keeps that door open.

Any older Apple fans here remember this?: http://www.zdnet.com/article/ati-suffers-wrath-of-jobs/

I hope the drivers won't get delayed too much...
I have just bought and installed a GTX 1080 Founders Edition in a Mac Pro 5.1
Unfortunately it is not being correctly recognized by OS X, only showing it as 'Display'.
I see people reporting it should work but without any acceleration.
I am using the latest nVidia drivers - 346.03.10f02 on MacOS El Capitan 10.11.5
Any suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back