Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you try using GTX 1080 for windows to boot and IGPU intel to boot OSX bro ?

If I have time today I'll reinstall OSX and try that just for the sake of sharing the results.

I have the GTX 1080, and I had to run nv_disable=1 to install the drivers. Once i did that and rebooted, my 1080 worked but without acceleration. I can do must basic stuff but the lag somewhat bothers me so i don't venture much into my mac anymore and remain in windows

Can you try using GTX 1080 for windows to boot and IGPU intel to boot OSX bro ?

I did it today.
I can confirm that i can:
Boot windows with my gtx 1080 connected
Boot mac osx reconnecting the wire to iGpu and turning CSM setting off in BIOS.

I did it today.
Do you have a monitor with multiple inputs? You could try connecting your IGPU with HDMI and your GTX 1080 with DisplayPort or DVI. At least then you'd only need to switch input source on your monitor rather than having to physically disconnect cables each time you want to boot into either OS X or Windows.

I did it today.

I tried this with the 980 Ti, but osx doesn't start: I have just a flicker screen and by clover I have just a black screen.

Without the iGPU osx works without problems. Do you know why?

Did you switch CSM off?
I think when you switch your graphics you are still using nvidia drivers on iGPU, because your 980ti have been installed previously...
Try to switcing primary graphics to iGpu in bios and inject intel in clover. Or just check system config what drivers are actually in use while you are on on iGPU

Did you switch CSM off?
I think when you switch your graphics you are still using nvidia drivers on iGPU, because your 980ti have been installed previously...
Try to switcing primary graphics to iGpu in bios and inject intel in clover. Or just check system config what drivers are actually in use while you are on on iGPU

Thank you very much for the reply.

Yes, I tried this already but without success. Without the eGPU, the iGPU works very well with the Intel inject in Clover.

Have people compared the 1070 to the 980ti? I know there are a ton of videos online that show them extremely close, but wanting real world testing. I am leaning towards the 980ti because of the current support, but I can't believe the 10xx cards are that far out.

My 1070 came today and it's the same, I get video but no acceleration. Not useable. Well, at least my Windows games are very happy with this card.

And btw, Nvidia mentioned in their official blog that the CUDA 8.0 release for Mac will have Pascal support and its release is scheduled for August. So it's a good guess that web drivers will be updated at the same time.

UNIFIED MEMORY SUPPORT ON MAC OS X
In addition to Pascal support in CUDA 8, CUDA 8 platform support for Unified Memory expands to Mac OS X. Now developers using Macs with NVIDIA GPUs can take advantage of the benefits and convenience of Unified Memory in their applications.

I'm currently running on a supported 580 but am desperately seeking to update to a 1080 (I recently purchased an HTC vive). Is it possible to keep both installed and switch between my current 580 while in OSX and then over to the 1080 when in windows - without having to pull out the graphics card each time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back