Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up my gtx 1080, I have El Capitan installed and everything working (except sound ) on a skylake i7 6700k build not sure how to proceed next will injecting the nvidia drivers just flat out not work ?

Just picked up my gtx 1080, I have El Capitan installed and everything working (except sound ) on a skylake i7 6700k build not sure how to proceed next will injecting the nvidia drivers just flat out not work ?

Excellent, can you share some screenshots?

There is currently no support in for the Pascal cards in the latest version of the Nvidia Web drivers.

I have reports from someone on Facebook that they are using dsdt and have the 1080 working. I should note they did say it's not easy, but it works. I trust if it can work on OS X this community will crack it!

I'm also curious if the FreeBSD works.

You guys with the first cards are deciding for me if I go with a GTX 980 or a GTX 1070... Which I'm pretty sure is going to be the same result as the 1080.

I'm actually wondering if the FreeBSD driver for the GTX1080 would work on Mac? OS X from what I thought has many of the same binaries as Free BSD. Am I correct?

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/103735
I guess the sources of both Drivers are closely related, but you'd have to compile them against Apples OS X SDK (which no one but Nvidia can do since it's closed source).

Unless a NVDAGP100HalWeb.kext appears in /S/L/E it's very unlikely that the GTX 1080 will work. I don't know of which "DSDT method" they're talking, but there's not much you can do without a proper Driver...
It might help to spoof the device ID to match any Maxwell GPU (e.g. GTX 980). This should cause the driver to pick up the card and with a (big!) lot of luck it might give acceleration in some "compatibility mode". It's a lot more likely that the drivers will just horribly crash the system (that's what happens when you try the same on a Maxwell GPU with Kepler drivers).

Anyone tried GTX 1080 on OSX?

Maybe it can work with Maxwell kext from Nvidia Web drivers, because it seems, that Pascal just a Maxwell shrink to 16 nm. So there is a high chance to work, maybe IDs must be edited to allow Maxwell kext to load. If somebody have this card on hand, they can easily try it.

i have a FE 1080 card that I'm using with El Capitan. No acceleration obviously. If there's something you'd like for me to try, I'd be willing to do it. I'm pretty new to all this hackintosh stuff. It was working perfect with the 980ti + i7 6700k + 32gb before i swapped graphics cards. Now it's choppy, and my build thinks it's using a 7mb graphics card. I heard with Skylake Intel Integrated graphics is working. So, I may have to go that route till a new driver comes out or a patch is found. I don't have much experience with DSDT's or ever where I'd change the id.

Anyone tried GTX 1080 on OSX?

Maybe it can work with Maxwell kext from Nvidia Web drivers, because it seems, that Pascal just a Maxwell shrink to 16 nm. So there is a high chance to work, maybe IDs must be edited to allow Maxwell kext to load. If somebody have this card on hand, they can easily try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back