Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mmalto Did you have the latest nvidia web drivers ? are you booting whit nvda_drv=1

Tom's Hardware did benchmark tests with the 1070, it outrun the Titan X in every scenario.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-6.htm

The 1070 definitely makes redundant a slew of cards for people looking to buy right now. But what it really demonstrates is what a great buy the 980ti was on first release (980ti OC > 1070 OC-- still!), what a bad buy the 980 was from a cost/performance perspective (and that might be a warning re 1080 and waiting for GP102/Vega).

Hopefully AMD has an answer to the 1070, because competition is good for everyone. And hopefully Nvidia partners really do sell the 1070 at $379... but we'll have to wait and see.

Any chance that NVidia will add these cards to their next release of the drivers for 10.11.6? The 1070 seems like a very good alternative to 980 and Titan series cards.

OS X support might arrive somewhere between "next WebDriver update" and "never".

If history repeats, OS X support (through WebDrivers) will arrive with the next major OS X update (10.12). Maxwell was introduced in February 2014 (GTX 750) and OS X support first appeared with Yosemite Beta drivers end of June.

But since Apple chose AMD as their primary GPU manufacturer some years, Nvidia might also say "F*ck Apple" and never bother to write Pascal drivers. I don't think this will happen, but we can't be sure without any insider information from Team Green.

Yosemite will most certainly never see Pascal support, since Nvidia doesn't back-port their drivers.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-1070.192399/#post-1248153

Any chance that NVidia will add these cards to their next release of the drivers for 10.11.6? The 1070 seems like a very good alternative to 980 and Titan series cards.

I think that nVidia will be kept busy writing drivers for the 1080 and 1070 for windows users. They will also be doing 1080Ti and 1060 drivers inhouse. I wouldn't expect to see OS X support for a couple of months at least and perhaps closer to August/September. Early adopters tend to have to wait a long time - just look how long it took for Skylake to start working reasonably well.

The 1070 definitely makes redundant a slew of cards for people looking to buy right now. But what it really demonstrates is what a great buy the 980ti was on first release (980ti OC > 1070 OC-- still!), what a bad buy the 980 was from a cost/performance perspective (and that might be a warning re 1080 and waiting for GP102/Vega).

Hopefully AMD has an answer to the 1070, because competition is good for everyone. And hopefully Nvidia partners really do sell the 1070 at $379... but we'll have to wait and see.

The 980 ti is probably better, but it's still sitting at 2x price compared to what we could expect for 1070. The 780 ti is also better than 970, but again, the latter is half the price. These gpus are whole different price range and targeted at different demographics, so you can't really compare how good the 980 ti was based on how it stack up towards newer, lower tier, gpu.
Although I'm not saying 980 ti is bad, it's very close to 1080, especially in gpu-accelerated tasks, with it's extra cuda cores.

I'm looking to do my first build (dual boot), but I'm planning on getting the 1080. Will I still be able to set up and get everything working even without the nVidia support? I don't need to run OS X perfectly, so I can wait for better support. It just seems like it makes life a lot simpler to set up the dual-boot at the start of the build rather than waiting down the road for full card support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back