Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to sell my rMBP 13" in order to assemble a Hackintosh to use mainly for OS X, but I'm quite insecure about it cause I'll lose the Apple's ecosystem and, of course, the portability.

Actually, the build that I plan to do is:
- MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
- i7 6700K
- 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
- Palit GTX 1070 Supet JetStream
Everything inside a BeQuiet! Silent Base 800 which should make everything very silent (I hate noises, and I choose Apple's Mac also for the silence they usually make).

I read all the topic, and I've understand that, at the moment, I have to use the iGPU and then, once Nvidia will release the Cuda 8 drivers with Pascal support, I can use the dedicated GPU. Is it correct? I'd like to use a DisplayPort cable but the motherboard doesn't have a DP connection!

Another question is if Hackintosh does support 5.1 audio from the integrated audio chipset (in this case it's a Realtek ALC892).

Thank you in advance! :thumbup:

As for using the card for computing, the answer is yes.
As for graphics accelerations, the answer is no.

See "misconceptions" section on the link below:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

I really hope that, with the release of the CUDA drivers for the GTX GeForce 10 Series, also the Nvidia Web Drivers will be updated for the Pascal support.. GPUs are my nightmare with Hackintosh, since I started with my old HD6790 which has never seen support for OS X, so I wouldn't like to risk the same!
I read that someone uses the HDMI port from the dedicated GPU as passthrough for the output of the iGPU by just editing a setting in the MB BIOS every time you wanna switch the OS: is it also possible with the DisplayPort connection?

GPUs are my nightmare with Hackintosh, since I started with my old HD6790 which has never seen support for OS X, so I wouldn't like to risk the same!

It only becomes a nightmare if you choose incompatible GPUs. If I were you, I'd get a GTX 980Ti. It's as fast as the 1070, doesn't cost more and is perfectly supported. Yes, the 1070 might be more future proof as a gaming GPU, but as of today it's a bad choice for a Hackintosh.

I don't think video passthrough is possible in OS X. Can you provide a link to the guy how claims to have made it work?

It only becomes a nightmare if you choose incompatible GPUs.
At the time, I planned to try to install OS X only some months after that I build the PC, and I was very unfortunate..

If I were you, I'd get a GTX 980Ti. It's as fast as the 1070, doesn't cost more and is perfectly supported. Yes, the 1070 might be more future proof as a gaming GPU, but as of today it's a bad choice for a Hackintosh.
The problem is that the 980Ti performances are pretty lower than the 1070 ones, and I prefer buying newer hardware because I'm not going to change anymore hardware for further years.. And they cost more or less the same!
So, actually, maybe it's better to wait for good news before sell the Mac and build the Hackintosh..

I don't think video passthrough is possible in OS X. Can you provide a link to the guy how claims to have made it work?
I'm sorry, I confused some sentences; Is it possible to:
A) switch the cable every time from the iGPU to the dedicated GPU;
B) buy a video switch;
C) use 2+ monitor.

I prefer buying newer hardware because I'm not going to change anymore hardware for further years..
I can understand that, but you can rarely do that when building a Hackintosh. New CPU or GPU generations usually need a few months to become properly supported and you never know when (or if) the support will arrive.
That's why I personally don't like starting a new rig with unsupported components. It might work out in the end, but no one knows in before.

I don't know the prices in your region, but here (in Germany) I've seen some GTX 980Ti offers below 400€, while the cheapest GTX 1070 was around 440€ so far. Both are ~10% apart in benchmarks (when comparing reference cards), so it's pretty much the same value for money.

It would be possible to use the iGPU in OS X, but I've never had to do this before, so I don't know which is the most practicable way to achieve that.

I can understand that, but you can rarely do that when building a Hackintosh. New CPU or GPU generations usually need a few months to become properly supported and you never know when (or if) the support will arrive.
That's why I personally don't like starting a new rig with unsupported components. It might work out in the end, but no one knows in before.
Yes, and this is one of the things that scares me about make an Hackintosh now and with these specs..

I don't know the prices in your region, but here (in Germany) I've seen some GTX 980Ti offers below 400€, while the cheapest GTX 1070 was around 440€ so far. Both are ~10% apart in benchmarks (when comparing reference cards), so it's pretty much the same value for money.
The Palit GTX 1070 Super JetStream that I plan to buy costs about 450€ here in Italy from an online re-seller, while a GTX 980Ti costs just 10€ less..

It would be possible to use the iGPU in OS X, but I've never had to do this before, so I don't know which is the most practicable way to achieve that.
At the moment I'm using the iGPU of my rMP 13" retina, an Iris Pro 6100, and almost everything (except games) runs quite good. The i7-6700K has an HD530 as iGPU, which is a little bit better than my iGPU. Using it for a month, waiting for the official Pascal support from Nvidia, isn't a big deal for me!
What does really scare me, in addition to the doubt Pascal support, is lose the portability (which just a laptop gives) and the freedom to update the OS without kext replaced or other problems that might occour!

consider this: eGPUs are coming finally via thunderbolt 3...
Razer released their "Core External Graphics Dock"...
thats a new target group besides hackintosh users and old macpro users...
Hope you feel better now.

So would it be possible to somehow make the OSX partition run integrated graphics while other partitions like Windows or Linux use the Pascal cars?

So would it be possible to somehow make the OSX partition run integrated graphics while other partitions like Windows or Linux use the Pascal cars?
Yep, I'm doing that right now.
I have a Palit GTX 1070.

OSX uses the integrated graphics (Intel HD4600), Windows and Linux use the GTX 1070.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back