Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the AMD graphics, there's not much for Apple to do. The current drivers allow running almost any AMD GPU ever made, that's more than one would expect. The annoying "boot to black screen" bug is on our side, Apple might fix it "by accident" any time, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If the annoying "boot to black screen" bug is on our side, is the reason for that known? Or is it just because the desktop RX 400 series is not 100% compatible with the drivers for the mobile variants?

Hello, I have a gtx 1070 in the 1st pci slot and a 670 in the 2nd on a z170x-Gaming 6 MOBO. I don't know how to get the Mac to boot on the 670 (since I'm trying to get dual monitors working, had it before on the same card in an older hackintosh). Tried picking which card the computer starts from in BIOS, no result. The System Report is showing both cards: the 1070 in PEG0@1 and the 670 in PEG1@1. I feel like there should be a simple solution to this, can anyone help?

If the annoying "boot to black screen" bug is on our side, is the reason for that known? Or is it just because the desktop RX 400 series is not 100% compatible with the drivers for the mobile variants?
The bug only occurs when the GPU has been init'ed before by the UEFI, so that's most likely where the difference is located. I guess the UEFI video driver leaves the GPU in an unexpected state, which causes the 3D driver to panic once it's loaded.

The drivers themselves are fine, as they (obviously) work without issues in genuine Macs.

Hello, I have a gtx 1070 in the 1st pci slot and a 670 in the 2nd on a z170x-Gaming 6 MOBO. I don't know how to get the Mac to boot on the 670 (since I'm trying to get dual monitors working, had it before on the same card in an older hackintosh). Tried picking which card the computer starts from in BIOS, no result. The System Report is showing both cards: the 1070 in PEG0@1 and the 670 in PEG1@1. I feel like there should be a simple solution to this, can anyone help?

Have you tried swapping card placement in the PCIe slots on your MOBO? I've heard that MacOS needs to have the graphic card it will be using in the primary PCIe slot.

The bug only occurs when the GPU has been init'ed before by the UEFI, so that's most likely where the difference is located. I guess the UEFI video driver leaves the GPU in an unexpected state, which causes the 3D driver to panic once it's loaded.

The drivers themselves are fine, as they (obviously) work without issues in genuine Macs.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I'm under the impression AMD cards also have a wake problem too where it won't work. So its not just this bug?

It's divine! I've used it for encoding and some video tasks so far and I'm so impressed! I've used high-end trashcan Mac Pros and I'm sorry they can not even come close. I compiled ffmpeg with NVidia h265 support and it took a minute to encode a 1.5hour DVD vs 17 minutes with handbrake. Seriously, I about passed out from that kind of result.

I have recently installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my MacPro 5,1 and am contemplating putting a GTX 1080 in it for machine learning. Did you try the 1080 in your 5,1 under ubuntu? I currently have the nvidia 375 drivers installed to work with my old GTX 570.

I don't seem to be able to find much of any mention of this 5,1 / Ubuntu / GTX 1080 combo on-line... your posts have come the closest so I would love too hear your experience / advice.

Hi,
I am using on my Hackintosh the HD 4600 included in the processor. Then, I have an Asus Dual GTX 1060 6GB that I use for gaming in Windows. How can I disable the 1060 so that fans are quieter? Now they spin at around 45/50% and they are very annoying.

There is another forum for Ubuntu I posted in (to be kind to the moderators and the rest of the group here.)

Short answer is yes works great and I used without trouble but there are some things to consider. Ultimately I moved to a hack box that I use the iGPU under macOS and the 1080 with Ubuntu.

I don't have the forum link handy but I'd be more than happy to discuss the little things I found. Nothing bad just stuff to be aware of with the real Mac hardware.

I have recently installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my MacPro 5,1 and am contemplating putting a GTX 1080 in it for machine learning. Did you try the 1080 in your 5,1 under ubuntu? I currently have the nvidia 375 drivers installed to work with my old GTX 570.

I don't seem to be able to find much of any mention of this 5,1 / Ubuntu / GTX 1080 combo on-line... your posts have come the closest so I would love too hear your experience / advice.

Thanks for the explanation! So if we could somehow prevent the UEFI from initializing the GPU (i.e. boot with a black screen till the Mac Bootloader takes over) or de-init the GPU again, we could work around this? Also, doesn't the Mac's EFI also init the GPU to display e.g. the disk selection screen at boot? Just trying to think whether there are any options to work around that issue, although much more competent people have probably studied this in-depth already... Also, let me know if this gets too OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back