Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty disappointing state we are in. For me to upgrade my current cards to dual 980ti's would be unbelievably expensive at this point - if I can even find any brand new ones. I really need an upgrade though because my 3D app is geared to Nvidia iRay and I know Adobe eats loves Nvidia as well. Switching to Radeons only will give me a boost in FCPx but I use a lot of other apps. Going the eBay route opens you up to potential burned out cards from Bitcoin users. Feel like my days of using Hacks are slowly coming to an end and I can't imagine having to go back to Windows.

Realistically, if you need GPU power, the immediate future looks bleak. If you're after a GPU fir W10 gaming, the most viable option is to look into dual cards or igpu and dGPU setup and switch inputs hen needed. That's what I'm setting myself up for.

This is pretty disappointing state we are in. For me to upgrade my current cards to dual 980ti's would be unbelievably expensive at this point - if I can even find any brand new ones. I really need an upgrade though because my 3D app is geared to Nvidia iRay and I know Adobe eats loves Nvidia as well. Switching to Radeons only will give me a boost in FCPx but I use a lot of other apps. Going the eBay route opens you up to potential burned out cards from Bitcoin users. Feel like my days of using Hacks are slowly coming to an end and I can't imagine having to go back to Windows.

Linux Mint or Ubuntu - They're not bad once you get used to them. I'm in the same boat as a lot of users in this thread. I'd prefer to game on the macOS (hate Windows) but I refuse to use a slow-ass card like the RX460, will not buy GTX 9xx because of their age. I also need a mini ITX sized card, so there's another limitation. GTX 1060 would be perfect if nVidia weren't . . . you know . . .

I think WWDC will reveal some new hardware with Vega vid cards so that's what I'm waiting for next & crossing fingers that there will be a mini ITX Vega with macOS support that's at least as fast as a GTX 1060

Even if you buy a GTX 980ti, how long will you run away from the inevitable considering you are buying 1.5 to 2 year old card already?

980ti was never a choice considering power consumption and lack of newer technologies. But to each it's their own choice.

Yeah, admittedly it's not a good choice. I do all of my gaming in macOS. When I built my rig I knew it would have a lot of caveats but so far it has been awesome. Even with my lowly 750 Ti I can run a lot of games on max.

I figure if I get a few years out of the 980 Ti, by then I can add a Windows partition and run dual cards, and I will consider that a success. Unless we get more hardware, which I hope against hope...

A GTX 980 and a GTX 980 Ti are still far from poor quality cards that suck for regular 1080P gaming. Alas the 2070 and 2080 will soon be available and I see no reason for nVidia to offer additional drivers for those either.
CustoMac users are being forced to look towards their priorities as new GPU hardware that is plug and play straight out of the box is fast becoming something of yesteryear.

There are no easy one size fits all solutions, the issue of discrete graphics suitability has stalled for users that rely on a common answer to use between operating systems or for high end video work with macOS.

We need to accept the situation as we now find our selves in and steer users towards the best options for each individual. For some folk and in the short term using two cards may offer a solution on some motherboards. Some users may decide to move full time to Windows as a platform while others may consider that for them a dedicated Windows box and a dedicated macOS box is what will offer the best options.

The biggest problems going forward that I see from the nVidia side of things is that we have additional drivers at this point in time for the 900 series - the question is will we see the support for these cards continue post Sierra? If not then users are potentially stuck somewhere between Yosemite and Sierra with Apple slowly dropping support for these versions of macOS.

Looking towards (OT on this thread) Team Red, will we see new macs that bring other possibilities and can the hackintosh community make these cards work better than some of the existing models when it comes to dualbooting. Will Team Red have any higher end cards that we can use with macOS?

I do hope that we might see further nvidia drivers but I must concede that nvidia are appearing to be changing the model of their business and it does not fit in with the direction that Apple (computing) appear to heading.

Lets us see what unfolds product wise over the coming months - a revised version of macOS and new hardware from Apple. Newer still graphics hardware from nVidia and AMD.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Quick question (i can't find the answer in the 30 pages or so I have read of this thread)........ I am currently dual booting my Hackintosh with Windows/Sierra and have a GTX 980 (which of course works like a dream). It is time for me to upgrade my rig and I am looking at getting a i7 7700k and a GTX 1080ti Graphics card.

My question is: Is it easy to boot Sierra via the Intel Integrated GPU via HDMI whilst the 1080ti sits in the computer and will only be used for Windows via DP ?

Thanks for any help!

The problem will be the API support at some point. I'd guess that won't be an issue for a while though.
That and Apple could drop all Nvidia in 10.13 since all of the machines that used them become obsolete. So, just like mac pro users (myself in this case as well,) we will have to move on.

I get constant 60fps going into 85fps in Witcher 3 Ultra settings at 3440x1440 on a 980Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back