Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I was just being thorough. It's been said over and over in this thread about lack of drivers.

Given the new iPad commercials advertising it as "better than a PC" it's clear they are full in on the appliance idea. So unless Apple adds an nvidia gpu in a "appliance" we won't see drivers.

well of course but this thread is about 10 series cards, that means Pascal, and in the post he was clearly referring to Pascal, since he even wrote it in bold

Well sort of. I guess at worst case we stay with the hardware we have now. It's not like hardware gets much faster for most uses every years (3% boost.) GPUs for certain tasks yes, but Nvidia-based graphics or CUDA utilities are not really a thing on Mac.

Best case we get better and nice support for higher-end AMD cards with less glitches and, hopefully, better support for updated drivers. Also hoping we actually see better cards that live up to expectations from AMD.

That way I'll build with AMD for Mac creative and Nvidia for my linux high-end workstations.

Even the current 367 drivers for GTX 970/980/980ti are having black screen bug if 2 or more monitors are connected via DP 1.2, HDMI.
That means if your primary 1K/2K/4K/1K-144hz/2K-144hz monitor is connected via DP 1.2 and secondary monitor or a TV is connected via HDMI port, then you will get a black screen on both the monitors midway during clover boot progress animation. To make things work, physically disconnect HDMI cable and let Sierra boot fully on monitor connected via DP 1.2 and THEN connect the HDMI cable.

So it's like days of Nvidia based Hackintosh seem to be numbered.

The only slight ray of hope is the rumored announcement of Pascal GTX 1080ti during the month of March.
Even then a fully working driver seems ridiculous as in June we will have 1st beta of Sierra's successor. So we will be back to square one..

If there is any chance, even a small one for Pascal support when would it be more probable to be released ?
When a new OS, iMAC or Mac Pro is released ? I mean they have to update to more efficient and faster cards eventually, they can possibly stick with Intel Iris Pro and AMD Fire Pros.

Im considering a used 980ti but they are going for around 450 Euro, it would kill me to buy one and 1 month later Pascal support is released.

Last edited:
I lost hope on Pascal support, and I'm even not sure about Maxwell support continuing after Sierra. If/when Apple updates their desktop Mac lineup this year it seems likely they will be based on Kaby Lake + AMD Vega (given that they moved to AMD GPUs on the MBPs).
I was ready to make my first build with Skylake + 980ti but now I'm holding off to see what they announce because I would hate to find out I'll be stuck on Sierra forever (deal-breaker for a development machine).

You know if it doesn't happen sometime in the next few days when the 1080ti is released I'd think it's not very likely to get released. Of course I am not connected to either Apple nor Nvidia so I don't know anything.

If there is any chance, even a small one for Pascal support when would it be more probable to be released ?
When a new OS, iMAC or Mac Pro is released ? I mean they have to update to more efficient and faster cards eventually, they can possibly stick with Intel Iris Pro and AMD Fire Pros.

Im considering a used 980ti but they are going for around 450 Euro, it would kill me to buy one and 1 month later Pascal support is released.

I lost hope on Pascal support, and I'm even not sure about Maxwell support continuing after Sierra. If/when Apple updates their desktop Mac lineup this year it seems likely they will be based on Kaby Lake + AMD Vega (given that they moved to AMD GPUs on the MBPs).
I was ready to make my first build with Skylake + 980ti but now I'm holding off to see what they announce because I would hate to find out I'll be stuck on Sierra forever (deal-breaker for a development machine).

I think you should definitively wait. AMD RX 480 support is decent, it will be a long support, Skylake + Polaris is a nice deal in my opinion.

With Vega and a new Mac lineup you will have a clear view. I was going to buy a GTX 980ti but the fear of being stuck on Sierra forever made me rethink about it and wait.

Just watched this video with an eGPU connected to a Macbook and the solution would be so stupidly simple for Apple, for everybody and their mother. You could use high specs iMacs oder MacBooks with external GPUs and half the problems with upgradability would be solved.

Really sad that Apple or Nvidia don't get their sh** together.

Have a feeling the 'golden era' of Hackintosh's is behind us. AMD cards don't let sleep work. And for latest Nvidia cards you have to go the cable-switching route.

My old GTX670 just died few days ago. So I'm forced to upgrade the GPU. My cheap Korean 1440p monitor doesn't have a scaler and so cannot be used with the iGPU. So if I want the latest Pascal card to use in the windows partition, I have to buy a new monitor also.

Or I buy a used card on eBay. Old GTX980ti's are ridiculously priced. Wish they were cheaper. Can't get myself to spend so much on a used previous gen card when there are new pascal cards in the market that provide the same cost/performance ratio.

Have a feeling the 'golden era' of Hackintosh's is behind us. AMD cards don't let sleep work. And for latest Nvidia cards you have to go the cable-switching route.
Let's wait and see with the next generation of AMD cards. The last years were very cushioned because of Nvidia web drivers.
With the decreasing support of Nvidia, hackintoshers will soon invest more time into getting AMD cards work and find workarounds. That's my silver lining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back