Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I've seen this to be a common opinion, somehow I doubt it's because one of the companies is 'upset' or there is 'ill will'. It's a small playing field and there are not that many players at that level. Even if NVidia lost these rounds, I'm sure they'll keep on courting Apple, and Apple on their side will keep on engaging all suppliers to see what fits their current criteria.

I don't see NVidia leaving money on the table just because of pride/ill will/being upset etc.. If Nvidia is not releasing drivers, it's simply because they don't see much of a market in Hackintosh or old Mac Pro upgrades. At the least, they calculated that the investment to create the drivers was not worth the return. That is not to say that we'll never have drivers. They might have reallocated resources and reduced the effort. Or decided to embark on creating drivers at a later date. Basically, some sort of lower commitment that they feel is commensurate with the return. So drivers may come any day, or eventually, given enough time. It's also quite possible that the drivers may never come, i.e. not till there is an official mac with NVidia cards, or an upgradable mac with a reasonable market footprint. Like the post before me says, I don't think anyone outside of NVidia knows.

Apple is among the biggest silicon consumers in the world. And NVidia is one-half of a duopoly in its segment. None of the two companies can afford to irk or ignore each other. We should bear in mind that despite all the sour relationships and court battles between Samsung and Apple, Apple continued to buy processors from Samsung; and still does. NVidia and Apple's relationship is a far cry from being that bad. Nothing dramatic happened here. They just lost an order. You win some, you lose some. It's par for the course.

Bottomline is - we don't know the numbers. But surely it's a business decision and not something NVidia is doing out of spite.

Though I've seen this to be a common opinion, somehow I doubt it's because one of the companies is 'upset' or there is 'ill will'. It's a small playing field and there are not that many players at that level. Even if NVidia lost these rounds, I'm sure they'll keep on courting Apple, and Apple on their side will keep on engaging all suppliers to see what fits their current criteria.

I don't see NVidia leaving money on the table just because of pride/ill will/being upset etc.. If Nvidia is not releasing drivers, it's simply because they don't see much of a market in Hackintosh or old Mac Pro upgrades. At the least, they calculated that the investment to create the drivers was not worth the return. That is not to say that we'll never have drivers. They might have reallocated resources and reduced the effort. Or decided to embark on creating drivers at a later date. Basically, some sort of lower commitment that they feel is commensurate with the return. So drivers may come any day, or eventually, given enough time. It's also quite possible that the drivers may never come, i.e. not till there is an official mac with NVidia cards, or an upgradable mac with a reasonable market footprint. Like the post before me says, I don't think anyone outside of NVidia knows.

Apple is among the biggest silicon consumers in the world. And NVidia is one-half of a duopoly in its segment. None of the two companies can afford to irk or ignore each other. We should bear in mind that despite all the sour relationships and court battles between Samsung and Apple, Apple continued to buy processors from Samsung; and still does. NVidia and Apple's relationship is a far cry from being that bad. Nothing dramatic happened here. They just lost an order. You win some, you lose some. It's par for the course.

Bottomline is - we don't know the numbers. But surely it's a business decision and not something NVidia is doing out of spite.
Apple doesn't seem to care anymore about any hardware power… they just want to sell "beautiful" computers at any price with any random hardware soldered to their motherboard… I think they can ignore Nvidia if they please because consumers will buy their products no matter what… that's the problem, the fanboyism without any kind of criticism on what they are buying, and if it meets the specifications it should meet… etc

Well i bit the bullet.
Formatte my OSX drives, and going full windows. Not being able to use FCP X hurts, but the transistion to Adobe Premiere is a lot easier now that they too have proxy media that can render in the background, and you can make selections from the preview. It's not there yet.... but it's close enough for me not to warrant an extra expense for a video card.

I am sure many of you read this: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-will-see-us-do-more-in-the-pro-area.2034854/ The comments following the article are Golden.

I am still waiting for something.. anything. I just can't bring myself to use Windows. I use it at the office and *blech*.. I can't do it at home.. But I don't blame anyone for giving up.. We might all end up seeing you on the other side soon enough !

J

There is always Linux.

So I don't think it's Apple giving up on hardware or just selling beautiful things. I think they don't sell "Computers" anymore. That being these are devices for function and nothing more. They aren't machines to them. Style and design are part of the mindset.

The problem being those of us that want a -computer- as it's defined from the last decade doesn't exist in their eyes. Apple is right to -some degree- that computers and PCs don't really need to be in the general market but it's WAY early. I guess that is "Courage." :)

I am sure many of you read this: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-will-see-us-do-more-in-the-pro-area.2034854/ The comments following the article are Golden.

I am still waiting for something.. anything. I just can't bring myself to use Windows. I use it at the office and *blech*.. I can't do it at home.. But I don't blame anyone for giving up.. We might all end up seeing you on the other side soon enough !

J

Well i bit the bullet.
Formatte my OSX drives, and going full windows. Not being able to use FCP X hurts, but the transistion to Adobe Premiere is a lot easier now that they too have proxy media that can render in the background, and you can make selections from the preview. It's not there yet.... but it's close enough for me not to warrant an extra expense for a video card.

Premiere Pro is a more feature rich application that trumps FCPX.

But it is more barebones and has less built in FX. You're in good hands.

There is always Linux.

So I don't think it's Apple giving up on hardware or just selling beautiful things. I think they don't sell "Computers" anymore. That being these are devices for function and nothing more. They aren't machines to them. Style and design are part of the mindset.

The problem being those of us that want a -computer- as it's defined from the last decade doesn't exist in their eyes. Apple is right to -some degree- that computers and PCs don't really need to be in the general market but it's WAY early. I guess that is "Courage." :)

Linux is useless for anything creative.

There are no Adobe or any apps on that are worthwhile.

The open source stuff is useless in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back