Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile as we wait for Pascal drivers, do you guys think it's possible to swap between two graphic cards (1080gtx & 260gtx) using riser cables without any long term damage beside the cables themselves? I dual boot between Windows & MacOS on separate drives, I have no available pci slots to install 2 graphics cards. I don't mind switching cables whenever I need to game which isn't everyday. I didn't purchase the GTX 1080 yet, and I refuse to invest in overpriced dated tech like the GTX 900x. Please excuse the intrusion if I posted in the wrong place.

A noob question: I know there is no way to use 1070 for display. But does a 1070 still help in video editing with Final Cut Pro?

No this is not possible as the video card drivers are required to load from the operating system to activate the hardware within the application. The best supported nvidia card (with nvidia drivers) at this point is the GTX 980Ti.

The problem is 5k iMacs are very weak machines with extremely poor GPU performance and most of the parts used are laptop components.
This is the main reason so many people prefer hackintosh.

That screen though, you can't beat that screen.

And stated before, Nvidia CUDA is not used in Final Cut or any Apple apps therefor it's just a very fast video card but not used to it's potential.

Unless you use for compute in machine learning or write CUDA apps.

No this is not possible as the video card drivers are required to load from the operating system to activate the hardware within the application. The best supported nvidia card (with nvidia drivers) at this point is the GTX 980Ti.

Screen is great. To be fair the iMac is a good machine. The 27" has a 6700K (throttled due to thermal limits however) and uses Apple NVMe. It's slower DDR3 memory as usual (but that has little effect really depending on the use case.)

It's thunderbolt 2 though. And no usb-c. The GPU is weak for anything other than general use (but outside the Mac Pro what mac isn't really?)

At this point you can probably do all the general Apple stuff on an iPad Pro (I have one and it sure looks that way) and gets actual attention. Even minor editing of video and audio.

Honestly I'm thinking of moving on as I use my Mac for xcode only and I'm forcing myself to move to Kdenlive for editing. I can't stay on Mac while they go crazy these days.

That screen though, you can't beat that screen.

I'm tired of waiting for pascal drivers, so I just installed my old gtx 770 on pcie slot 1, and my gtx 1080 on the second slot and it's working flawlessly. No fps performance impact with the gtx 1080 running at 8x on the second slot in Windows 10, and I don't have to do weird things to boot into OS X(I didn't even touch my bios). I'm still on Mavericks BTW but it should work on Sierra as well.
Valmanway007,
Do you have to do anything special to load the GTX1080 in W10 and have W10 bypass the GTX770?
Thanks.

If they didn't even create a driver for the new Titan X for the CUDA heavy users then the best guess is that it could be released in 2018 along with the new line. I mean if the new line got a driver and if they make it retro-compatible.

Screen is great. To be fair the iMac is a good machine. The 27" has a 6700K (throttled due to thermal limits however) and uses Apple NVMe. It's slower DDR3 memory as usual (but that has little effect really depending on the use case.)

It's thunderbolt 2 though. And no usb-c. The GPU is weak for anything other than general use (but outside the Mac Pro what mac isn't really?)

At this point you can probably do all the general Apple stuff on an iPad Pro (I have one and it sure looks that way) and gets actual attention. Even minor editing of video and audio.

Honestly I'm thinking of moving on as I use my Mac for xcode only and I'm forcing myself to move to Kdenlive for editing. I can't stay on Mac while they go crazy these days.
That doesn't sound very good to me. There are LAPTOPS (albeit large) that can run a overclocked 6700k or 7700k in it with two gtx 1080's and and you are trying to convince me the iMac doesn't have the cooling capacity for it? Apple should start using good tech instead of the overpriced crap they use in their computers. The solution to thermal throttling would be a vapor chamber in in it.

http://clevo.com/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=998&lang=en
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-U726-Clevo-P870DM-Notebook-Review.153136.0.html
(you can even hackintosh the second one with the gtx 980 desktop mobility gpu)

The best supported nvidia card (with nvidia drivers) at this point is the GTX 980Ti.

Not true, the Titan X Maxwell is also supported and is a very good card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back