Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received my GTX 1070 today and there still looks to be no sign of any driver support for Sierra. Damn u NVIDIA

This is where my love and praise for OSX stop. Today GPU power has taken as much importance as CPU, and even more in several cases. Half professionnals and gamers will like this and i don't understand why Apple is not reacting to this demand.
I have probably missed something...?

Darwin code for 10.12 was released. Maybe with this a opensource driver will be made.

They always open source each macOS release. Usually comes a bit after official release.

i don't understand why Apple is not reacting to this demand.
I have probably missed something...?

Apple has always been a pragmatic company. This isn't new.

They always put in underpowered GPUs, but put high end CPUs in their machines.

In the pro market, they bought Shake, then discontinued it. Bought FCP and kept it running until version 7 and then completely dumped it (and lost the desktop Pro editing market to Adobe).

They just literally left the Display market.

I think lately under Tim Cooks leadership, it's become a bit of a mean-spirited company, in terms of pragmatism. Steve Jobs would keep certain products in even if it didn't make a lot of money for them.

70-75% of the Apple profit comes from iOS devices. It makes sense to prioritize those in terms of business -- but Tim Cook doesn't have the foresight that Steve Jobs did.

I think this is going to hurt Apple in the long run -- this carelessness about Macs. The Mac userbase is SO loyal that it gets super intense -- especially back in the day if anyone remembers. The fact that people want to spend time building a computer and putting macOS on it (A pain in the butt especially the first few times), tells you a lot about loyalty to Apple products in general.

I have a lot of friends who are jumping ship and do this stuff professionally (post production) and they are pissed off at Apple.

Mac Pro hasn't been updated since 2013 (and the price is the same!). iMacs are still using 4-5 year old GPUs. MacBook Pros are getting emoji touch bars.

Yes, these are very capable machines, still, but a lot of studios lease computers -- so when the time comes, they will go with other workstations.

I am HOPING Apple puts in an nVidia GPU in a Mac Pro and iMac soon, because the GTX1060-1080 are low powered enough and don't generate much heat and are real contenders in their iMac and Mac Pro line -- but I think Apple has cut a deal with AMD and they like their Polaris architecture.

Apple never catered to the beige box PC market -- it was more of an "appliance" type of computer company.

Also no one uses FCPX -- they can push it in their adverts, but every professional either jumped from FCP7 to Premiere or back to Avid.

Last edited:
They always open source each macOS release. Usually comes a bit after official release.

Apple has always been a pragmatic company. This isn't new.

They always put in underpowered GPUs, but put high end CPUs in their machines.

In the pro market, they bought Shake, then discontinued it. Bought FCP and kept it running until version 7 and then completely dumped it (and lost the desktop Pro editing market to Adobe).

They just literally left the Display market.

I think lately under Tim Cooks leadership, it's become a bit of a mean-spirited company, in terms of pragmatism. Steve Jobs would keep certain products in even if it didn't make a lot of money for them.

70-75% of the Apple profit comes from iOS devices. It makes sense to prioritize those in terms of business -- but Tim Cook doesn't have the foresight that Steve Jobs did.

I think this is going to hurt Apple in the long run -- this carelessness about Macs. The Mac userbase is SO loyal that it gets super intense -- especially back in the day if anyone remembers. The fact that people want to spend time building a computer and putting macOS on it (A pain in the butt especially the first few times), tells you a lot about loyalty to Apple products in general.

I have a lot of friends who are jumping ship and do this stuff professionally (post production) and they are pissed off at Apple.

Mac Pro hasn't been updated since 2013 (and the price is the same!). iMacs are still using 4-5 year old GPUs. MacBook Pros are getting emoji touch bars.

Yes, these are very capable machines, still, but a lot of studios lease computers -- so when the time comes, they will go with other workstations.

I am HOPING Apple puts in an nVidia GPU in a Mac Pro and iMac soon, because the GTX1060-1080 are low powered enough and don't generate much heat and are real contenders in their iMac and Mac Pro line -- but I think Apple has cut a deal with AMD and they like their Polaris architecture.

Apple never catered to the beige box PC market -- it was more of an "appliance" type of computer company.

Also no one uses FCPX -- they can push it in their adverts, but every professional either jumped from FCP7 to Premiere or back to Avid.
Don't know anyone else, but I was a long time Adobe user now shifted to fcpx, I feel so better and fast at editing in it rather than premier pro.
And exporting is so fast in it. That's what I feel, so switched to it.
Yes it's not as open as premier but editing in it is a breeze, better than premier pro.

Don't know anyone else, but I was a long time Adobe user now shifted to fcpx, I feel so better and fast at editing in it rather than premier pro.
And exporting is so fast in it. That's what I feel, so switched to it.
Yes it's not as open as premier but editing in it is a breeze, better than premier pro.

Most people dumped it, especially seasoned vets who loved FCP7.

They couldn't get used to the lack of tracks.

Yes, FCPX has some unique features and it's pretty fast once you learn it, but in the real world no one really uses it because there really isn't a pipeline for FCPX.

It may be used by some reality TV shows or event videography editors, but not in the pro world.

A bunch of Hollywood films like Gone Girl were cut on Premiere Pro.

I think so far there has only been one feature film cut by FCPX, which was Focus starring Will Smith.

Also Adobe Premiere 1.0 was pretty terrible (when they dumped the old legacy application and started anew). CC2015 and CC2017 are pretty rock solid.

Apple trying to keep people to Apple by advertising FCPX is not going to work -- long time Apple fans of FCP7 have dumped macOS or FCPX and moved on to Premiere Pro.

Everyone I know is really turned off by Apples lack of care for the Pro market. They may still use Macs here and there with Premiere, but when the time comes, I think they may dump Apple altogether.

Most people dumped it, especially seasoned vets who loved FCP7.

They couldn't get used to the lack of tracks.

Yes, FCPX has some unique features and it's pretty fast once you learn it, but in the real world no one really uses it because there really isn't a pipeline for FCPX.

It may be used by some reality TV shows or event videography editors, but not in the pro world.

A bunch of Hollywood films like Gone Girl were cut on Premiere Pro.

I think so far there has only been one feature film cut by FCPX, which was Focus starring Will Smith.

Also Adobe Premiere 1.0 was pretty terrible (when they dumped the old legacy application and started anew). CC2015 and CC2017 are pretty rock solid.

Apple trying to keep people to Apple by advertising FCPX is not going to work -- long time Apple fans of FCP7 have dumped macOS or FCPX and moved on to Premiere Pro.

Everyone I know is really turned off by Apples lack of care for the Pro market. They may still use Macs here and there with Premiere, but when the time comes, I think they may dump Apple altogether.
Havent used fcp 7 so can't say anything about it compared to fcpx.
But I started with premier pro from version 2 and still use it. But now I find fcpx a lot fast to edit.
And yes it is really sad Apple is neglecting pro market and concentrating on iOS and fancy stuff only. But fcpx is way more optimized,
Just look at how it performs with couple of ancient 5770 cards against nvidea recent ones.

What exactly makes FCPX so much faster than Premiere and why can't Adobe implement that kind of speed?
Fcpx uses opencl very well which amd offers. Nvidia is also catching up with opencl now but they concentrate more on cuda and Adobe uses cuda more.

Havent used fcp 7 so can't say anything about it compared to fcpx.
But I started with premier pro from version 2 and still use it. But now I find fcpx a lot fast to edit.
And yes it is really sad Apple is neglecting pro market and concentrating on iOS and fancy stuff only. But fcpx is way more optimized,
Just look at how it performs with couple of ancient 5770 cards against nvidea recent ones.

FCPX, besides using OpenCL, has a built in FX engine. It flies even on minimal hardware.

Premiere is a more "pro" editor than FCPX and integrates well with other workflows. They also had a head start than FCPX.

Also Apple alienated the Pro-editor market by dumping FCP7, which was a revolutionary desktop editing software that competed with high end apps like Avid.

Apple will never get back that pro-editor market, hence why the Mac Pro may disappear soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they completely dump the circular Mac Pro next year, or even after the next refresh.

Also new Premiere Pro CC2015/2017 can use Metal instead of OpenCL (and CUDA, if you have an nVidia GPU) under macOS.

All this stuff may be very well and true, but who dictates what software will be mainstream and get the most support is -- you guessed it -- the industry with most money. Hollywood.

Films like Deadpool, Hail Caesar, Gone Girl, and many have pushed FCP7 diehards to Premiere Pro -- and the rest went back to Avid.

Anyway, not to get offtopic, but Apple's ONLY legitimate program left that will keep "Pros" at bay with macOS and Macs is Logic Pro -- not FCPX.

The other half that will stick with Apple are the designers, illustrators and other creative professionals that have set typography with Macs since the 80s. But that's a small market for Apple now (sadly).

If Microcrap steps up to the plate and really takes what Apple has learned with UX/UI design in the last 30 years and delivers something as good as macOS in Windows 11, I think you will see many people jump ship -- but I really doubt that will happen in the next year or two -- but maybe 5 years from now.

There is a certain "uncertainty" when it comes to Apple. Who knows if they will dump FCPX if it doesn't seem like anyone is using it? They do that all the time -- and the editors, who pay the big bucks for expensive Mac Pros (and high spec iMacs) are the ones who buy this stuff -- and they're pretty loyal but if you turn them off, you're asking for trouble. Apple pissed them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back