Contribute
Register

[Solved] No Shutdown or Reboot in Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have fought the Shutdown -> Reboot problem ever since updating to Mojave. Presently running 10.14.5 build 18F132 on a Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini-ITX motherboard, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB Samsung 970 PRO NVMe SSD, Clover v 4934, Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ graphics. UEFI BIOS is Gigabyte's version F5 for this mobo. SMBIOS is iMac 19,1. Everything is copacetic except the refusal to shut down from the Apple Shutdown menu. Restart itself works correctly but to shut down I have to use the computer case's power button for a few seconds. Have tried many things... it worked fine on High Sierra.

My system is working great, shutdown works and restart works.

Gigabyte Z390 Designare
64 GB DDR4 RAM
2 x 1 TB Samsung 970 NVMe SSD's
Saphire Radeon VII
Clover v2.4 4862

My config is attached, hopefully it will help.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.6 KB · Views: 113
My system is working great, shutdown works and restart works.
My config is attached, hopefully it will help.
Thanks for your reply. I looked over your config.plist, and of course there are differences, some of which I understand and some of which I know so little about that I can't judge them. (If you have no internal SATA devices, what is the purpose of SATO -> SATA?) Most significant may be your SMBIOS vs mine. But if you want to take the time, here is my config.plist.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 41
One major difference is I have more definition in my config, due to following @CaseySJ tutorial. That said, I added a couple boot augments that will help. dart=0 & keepsyms=1. Try this as this combo helped me.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.1 KB · Views: 87
Thanks again for your replies. If I think about it, config.plist only affects Clover. "Shutdown" is a signal sent from the Mac OS through the hardware abstraction layer (UEFI) and then to the hardware. I have checked "fix shutdown" in Clover and it does nothing. I have tried "slide=0," and again, nothing. "dart=0" does not apply to my system since I have "Vt-d" disabled in my BIOS, and I have the on-board Intel graphics disabled anyway. My "feeling" is that there is either a disconnect between Mac OS 10.14.5's shutdown signal and the BIOS, or there is a future update needed in the BIOS firmware. I could be wrong about everything, but that's my current opinion.

I reviewed your changes and will try that combination, and see what happens.

[Edit: Nope, all three of those boot arguments had no effect.]

Last edited:
Thanks again for your replies. If I think about it, config.plist only affects Clover. "Shutdown" is a signal sent from the Mac OS through the hardware abstraction layer (UEFI) and then to the hardware. I have checked "fix shutdown" in Clover and it does nothing. I have tried "slide=0," and again, nothing. "dart=0" does not apply to my system since I have "Vt-d" disabled in my BIOS, and I have the on-board Intel graphics disabled anyway. My "feeling" is that there is either a disconnect between Mac OS 10.14.5's shutdown signal and the BIOS, or there is a future update needed in the BIOS firmware. I could be wrong about everything, but that's my current opinion.

I reviewed your changes and will try that combination, and see what happens.

[Edit: Nope, all three of those boot arguments had no effect.]

I have a Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi MB with F6 bios version and it shutdown fine with those augments. Not sure why your does not.

I have a Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi MB with F6 bios version and it shutdown fine with those augments. Not sure why your does not.

Me either, but my mobo is the Mini-ITX version, being a Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI. That "I" after the "Z390" means a smaller motherboard with only 2 memory slots and 1 PCIE slot. Also the latest version of the firmware is F5 for my mobo, whereas yours is F6... don't know if that is important, but could be.

Last edited:
Me either, but my mobo is the Mini-ITX version, being a Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI. That "I" after the "Z390" means a smaller motherboard with only 2 memory slots and 1 PCIE slot. Also the latest version of the firmware is F5 for my mobo, whereas yours is F6... don't know if that is important, but could be.

This tutorial is a great one for your MB. Gigabyte Aorus Pro I WiFi Tutorial --> Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro I WiFi

Hello @MACAK, @CaseySJ , please, could you share your bios settings? I followed word by word and double checked the Casey's guide to avoid any error but the only issue I'm facing is shutdown. I'm unable to solve it. It continues to restart by itself. Does anybody helps me? Please let me know what you need. I tried and read everything in this thread and others but nothing happened. Nothing.

Here is my new baby:

I9 9900K (not oc, for now)
Corsair H150i
Z390 Designare (bios ver. F7 - untouched)
MSI RX580 Armor 8GB DDR5
Crucial Sport AT 64GB (XMP profile 1 @ 3200Mhz)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB on M2P slot
2x Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB

Waiting for Fenvi T919 (I'll purchase it after holidays)

Mojave 10.14.6.02

UPDATE 31/12/2019
With hardware configuration listed above, I saw MACAK's config.plist and added -nv_disable=1 and magic happened. Shutdown worked. BUT... I have installed my Firewire Pci-e 1x card by Startech (in the Casey's list) and shutdown disappeared again. I've tried fixing the problem checking on "Fix Firewire" but the following booting has locked. Then I inserted my USB bootable, press F12, selected SSD, and Mojave started. At this time, re-open again config.plist with Clover Configuratore and removed "Fix Firewire". Result? System goes on desktop flawlessly (without USB stick), no issues at all, but shutdown still not working. Note: I need my FW card because I'm using RME Fireface FireWire 800 (drivers installed and everthing's ok with that).

2nd chance: what do you think of this method?
Fireface FW800 > FW800 to Thunderbolt 2 Apple adapter > Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) > Gigabyte Titan Ridge Z390 Designare?

Waiting for your help.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back