Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Need to enable QuickSync/Export on i8700K + RX 580 + FCPX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tip.
Researching further, apparently igfxfw=2 doesn't work on 370 boards (because they're basically z270).
The whole reason I went with Z370 was for native NVRAM. Shortly after I bought my components I found out about the tweaks to get NVRAM working on Z390 :banghead: I think I'm out of luck for native iGPU firmware for Z370 :(

Hi there, sort of an old thread but I'm seeing low iGPU usage for FCPx exports as well. I have an imac19,1 setup with the Intel UHD 630 as headless with a Radeon VII in Catalina. My config.plist is fairly minimal, using all the recommended methods like WhateverGreen and Lilu. Everything is smooth but I don't feel like QuickSync is being utilized fully in FCPx exports. If I export using QuickTime or Compressor, like you observed, it basically maxes out the iGPU according to Intel Power Gadget - it's around 1.15 Ghz. Encode times are 1/3 of FCPx. That's a huge difference and would cost a lot of time with a longer project. In FCPx, it is using the iGPU to export, but maxing out between 0.38-0.40 Ghz. Conversely, the Sony Camping HEVC demo tops out around 0.38-0.40 as well... interesting that encode and playback hit that same range.
I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but I'm wondering what else can be done.
Care to troubleshoot again?

Late last year When i was doing some benchmarks on some hackintosh builds from my friends to see which hardware is the fastest ...which were run on some 4k video projects ...Seen some shocking results..The IntelUHD630 was always the fastest when it comes to H.264 and Hvenc encoding..When the IGPu is not detected FCPX will use the Video Card built in encoders to do the job which is a lot slower...What i noticed is that the radeon 7 and only the radeon 7..built- in encoders has been improved somehow..It does H.264 and H.265 and HVENC encoding very quick..I pit it against the IntelUHD 630 from the 8700K and the 9900K and it beat it by a couple seconds...like 10 seconds..So i suggest to try and disable the IGPu in bios..And try to do your encoding using your Rad..
I had done these testings on FCPX ....But the Rad 7 is the real deal for Hackintosh builds..Seems to have some sort of sweet sauce when it comes to H.264/Hvenc encoding..
About the results from the IGPu you experience..Yes it is working at it's max..and that's normal..I tried everything in the book to try to get more utilization from the IGPu thinking it will crunch the amount of time it takes to do renders...But sadly there isn't anything much you can do....That is just the way it functions..The Hvenc utilization is just a little higher....been there done that my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back