Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Need to enable QuickSync/Export on i8700K + RX 580 + FCPX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for sharing you EFI, that's very helpful.
I remove my Thunderbolt 3 Card and managed to the the iGPU(UHD 630) moving,
is that possible to run the video encoder on the RX580 instead of iGPU?
I've discovered further updates here that Lilu and Whatevergreen are replacing a whole bunch of KEXTs that I had in my system. I had no idea. (Hard to keep up with this sometimes). I've reduced my kext files as per this link. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/

I have found everything works well. And using Kext Updater app to make life easier.

Have any of you found a way to enable HW decode/encode on the RX580? I only have the HD630 show up in MacX :/

Have any of you found a way to enable HW decode/encode on the RX580? I only have the HD630 show up in MacX :/
That is software based. For instance, FCPX really relies on the GPU whereas the QT app and Handbrake does it through QuickSync. I think I've finally cracked it. Everything works as I think it should. I just tested a 7-minute FCPX export of a 1080p video, not many effects but you can see how there is a little bit of QuickSync in there (green line in Frequency in Intel Power Gadget) and some CPU processing along with the GPU adding to the mix. Please refer to my link a few comments previous to this except the Framebuffer patch should be ig-platform-id to: 0x59120003

Attachments

• H264 encoding FCPX.png
    H264 encoding FCPX.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 548
There must be a way because Xeon's do not have iGPUs
Sure iMac Pro's Xeon's do not have iGPUs but now its the Apple T2 chip in those machines which is responsible for H264 encoding (in addition to some other security things) as Apple claims, so our chances still tiny

hi man..am having the very exact same issue as you are on..10.13.6..Currently am going to try to see if can install version 10.13.3 and see if any difference..My thing is i notice when i look at the Intel Power Gadget while i am running a Bruce X benchmark the IGPu isn't being utilised..only my I7 8700K and my GPU works....Other regular projects and 4k to 1080P conversion in FCPX and even with Compressor...I notice the IGPu is working and being used to help with exports.....Have any of u guys noticed this? Only Brucex benchmarks and apple422 exports am not getting any quicksync acceleration at all...Everything else pumps my IGPu..Like adobe premiere,,,adobe media encoder...and Macx ..Screenflow also uses it...

hi man..am having the very exact same issue as you are on..10.13.6..Currently am going to try to see if can install version 10.13.3 and see if any difference..My thing is i notice when i look at the Intel Power Gadget while i am running a Bruce X benchmark the IGPu isn't being utilised..only my I7 8700K and my GPU works....Other regular projects and 4k to 1080P conversion in FCPX and even with Compressor...I notice the IGPu is working and being used to help with exports.....Have any of u guys noticed this? Only Brucex benchmarks and apple422 exports am not getting any quicksync acceleration at all...Everything else pumps my IGPu..Like adobe premiere,,,adobe media encoder...and Macx ..Screenflow also uses it...
I've now moved my editing computer to Mojave but the same settings should work with 580 and 13.6. BruceX is not worth testing with. FCPX shows a 1.0 frequency in Intel PowerGadget. Using Quicktime to compress it goes up to 10. I have Lilu and Whatevergreen installed, all the inits turned off, boot GPU PCIe and have the iGPU turned on and memory set to 128 and everything is working nicely. No longer have to do all those backflips.

Nice Nice....Yeh i ended up getting tru today actually...Turned out i had some wrong platform ids and fake Ids.But it's sorted now...I ended up adding a RX 580 to my cart..I will have to purchase it anyway..I just thought i cud of made my Nvidia card match the OpenCL performance so i won't have to purchase a second card....lol ..But i tried everything in the book and no hope..So it's AMD for the win i guess..btw what do u mean by turning off inits? Thanks for the help..

Nice Nice....Yeh i ended up getting tru today actually...Turned out i had some wrong platform ids and fake Ids.But it's sorted now...I ended up adding a RX 580 to my cart..I will have to purchase it anyway..I just thought i cud of made my Nvidia card match the OpenCL performance so i won't have to purchase a second card....lol ..But i tried everything in the book and no hope..So it's AMD for the win i guess..btw what do u mean by turning off inits? Thanks for the help..
I was thinking of the Radeon deinit and I should have added Inject Intel just to be clear. Sorry.

I was thinking of the Radeon deinit and I should have added Inject Intel just to be clear. Sorry.
Hi there, sort of an old thread but I'm seeing low iGPU usage for FCPx exports as well. I have an imac19,1 setup with the Intel UHD 630 as headless with a Radeon VII in Catalina. My config.plist is fairly minimal, using all the recommended methods like WhateverGreen and Lilu. Everything is smooth but I don't feel like QuickSync is being utilized fully in FCPx exports. If I export using QuickTime or Compressor, like you observed, it basically maxes out the iGPU according to Intel Power Gadget - it's around 1.15 Ghz. Encode times are 1/3 of FCPx. That's a huge difference and would cost a lot of time with a longer project. In FCPx, it is using the iGPU to export, but maxing out between 0.38-0.40 Ghz. Conversely, the Sony Camping HEVC demo tops out around 0.38-0.40 as well... interesting that encode and playback hit that same range.
I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but I'm wondering what else can be done.
Care to troubleshoot again?

Hi there, sort of an old thread but I'm seeing low iGPU usage for FCPx exports as well. I have an imac19,1 setup with the Intel UHD 630 as headless with a Radeon VII in Catalina. My config.plist is fairly minimal, using all the recommended methods like WhateverGreen and Lilu. Everything is smooth but I don't feel like QuickSync is being utilized fully in FCPx exports. If I export using QuickTime or Compressor, like you observed, it basically maxes out the iGPU according to Intel Power Gadget - it's around 1.15 Ghz. Encode times are 1/3 of FCPx. That's a huge difference and would cost a lot of time with a longer project. In FCPx, it is using the iGPU to export, but maxing out between 0.38-0.40 Ghz. Conversely, the Sony Camping HEVC demo tops out around 0.38-0.40 as well... interesting that encode and playback hit that same range.
I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but I'm wondering what else can be done.
Care to troubleshoot again?
Try igfxfw=2 in boot argument if you are using WEG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back