Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] mobo: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: mobo: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 problem?

the only other thing I can think of to check would be to check your cpu temperature in the bios immediately after it freezes (reboot into the bios and check the temperature there).

It almost sounds like it may be overheating.

Another thing to possibly try if you have a spare power supply or can borrow one from another system is to try it with a different power supply.

I had a system I built many years ago now (original athlon xp era system) for a customer, that they kept complaining about the system freezing up or doing crazy stuff, and every time I had them bring it into the shop so I could bench it and test for problems I couldn't find anything wrong. It turned out that while the power supply in the case we used was powerful enough to run the system components we sold them, their son had taken it upon himself to install an older SCSI hard drive and older model ISA scsi controller card into the system and this was pulling so much power when it was running that the stock power supply wasn't strong enough to run the system. I finally had to tell the customer that if they wanted to run the system with the scsi drive and controller I was going to have to sell them a more powerful power supply... I advised them that if they would take it out and if they didn't put it back into their computer (son kept taking it out before he would bring it in, only found out about it the last time he brought the computer in with it still installed), then the system would work fine..

I never saw them again after that so don't know if they took my advice or just took the system somewhere else.

I did that, the CPU temp is OK. I have a huge butterfly pipe copper heatsink. The temp would rise if the heat transfer is inefficient and the heatsink is not properly installed. I checked my work and every thing seems OK.

You have a very good idea with PS. I have an extra one but it is such a pain to remove it... but I'll do it. I'll come back with results.

viewtopic.php?f=168&t=36674

best post ever for this board......

only thing i did different is i used the new patched audio drivers for HDMI and the lx2mac network drivers for bonjour. been running flawless

I have exact same mobo and was having issues with random power cycles/reboots at various stages in the process. I, too, was using a power supply that simply was not sufficient for my build (HTPC & was using external fan less PS). When I upgraded to a 320w 1U supply that was designed to fit inside the slim line HTPC case, the build went flawlessly!

One other thing: make sure your HD is NOT connected to white/gray 6Gbps SATA connectors for initial install. Use blue 3Gbps connection.

Link to my build with same mobo:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=59922

PS: What version of Lion are you using?? Have you updated the Lion installer through the App store? I have tried 10.7.2, 10.7.3, and 10.7.4 versions.... All successfully. Anything older than that might be giving you problems.

DigitALL said:
I did that, the CPU temp is OK. I have a huge butterfly pipe copper heatsink. The temp would rise if the heat transfer is inefficient and the heatsink is not properly installed. I checked my work and every thing seems OK.

You have a very good idea with PS. I have an extra one but it is such a pain to remove it... but I'll do it. I'll come back with results.

What I normally do when I need to try a different Power Supply is lay the system on it's side with the side panel off and then disconnect the power supply connections on the installed Power Supply and then connect the test Power Supply to the system and power it on.

it does help though when the test power supply has longer cables for the connections :)

I have replaced the PS exactly as you said, the cables were long enough. Still the same issue.
So let's remember, it is not only the failure to install or to reach the installer in Lion Os X, it is also with Windows. I attached another HD and tried to install a fresh Windows 7. Shortly after "loading files" message, the PC reboots.

I have used "Hiren's Boot Cd" v.15.1 and the "Ultimate Boot CD Tools" v.5.1.1 to test memory and it is OK. But when I choose to burn-in or test CPU it freezes. It also freezes when I try to test "system board".

This issue turns from bad to worse...
So today I bought from TigerDirect another mobo, exact the same model and two more DIMMs 2x4Gb RAM, exact same model as the ones I had. I was told and believed myself too that being the CPU defective is very less likely (this system ran flawless for close to six months).

Installing new mobo, new 8GB and then only 4GB RAM, new power supply (purchased about one month ago) and the same CPU. Result? The same friggn' problem!
When running the CPU test, the system locks. There is no way to reach windows to test the Intel's CPU program. The BIOS reports a 39 deg Celsius temperature, and that is perfect.

This CPU was purchased "boxed" (the CPU and the heatsink) and it means that carries three year warranty. To reach Intel warranty service and get an RMA is a different story. From how hard I got some info on their site, probably they have a bad customer service... However, my story seems to stop here, or better said, Monday after I will get an RMA.
Is this a bad luck or what???

DigitALL said:
I have replaced the PS exactly as you said, the cables were long enough. Still the same issue.
So let's remember, it is not only the failure to install or to reach the installer in Lion Os X, it is also with Windows. I attached another HD and tried to install a fresh Windows 7. Shortly after "loading files" message, the PC reboots.

I have used "Hiren's Boot Cd" v.15.1 and the "Ultimate Boot CD Tools" v.5.1.1 to test memory and it is OK. But when I choose to burn-in or test CPU it freezes. It also freezes when I try to test "system board".

This issue turns from bad to worse...
So today I bought from TigerDirect another mobo, exact the same model and two more DIMMs 2x4Gb RAM, exact same model as the ones I had. I was told and believed myself too that being the CPU defective is very less likely (this system ran flawless for close to six months).

Installing new mobo, new 8GB and then only 4GB RAM, new power supply (purchased about one month ago) and the same CPU. Result? The same friggn' problem!
When running the CPU test, the system locks. There is no way to reach windows to test the Intel's CPU program. The BIOS reports a 39 deg Celsius temperature, and that is perfect.

This CPU was purchased "boxed" (the CPU and the heatsink) and it means that carries three year warranty. To reach Intel warranty service and get an RMA is a different story. From how hard I got some info on their site, probably they have a bad customer service... However, my story seems to stop here, or better said, Monday after I will get an RMA.
Is this a bad luck or what???

I would try another hdd. And/or try to do a windows load from a usb flash drive and disconnect the optic drive if you're using one. It appears that maybe some system files are not loading correctly with the windows install, possibly. If you swapped out the mobo, ram, psu and the heatsink is installed correctly, maybe some pins on the cpu got bent or damaged and it's crashing. Look at the pins on the cpu and see if they are bent or scratched. :?

initalBoss said:
Look at the pins on the cpu and see if they are bent or scratched. :?

This is what I'd do as well. Look at the pins on the board as well as the contacts on the bottom of the CPU. Make sure to do so carefully though, not touching any of the pins or contacts.

I have already tried another two HD. The error however, is independent of hard disk.
I have eliminated one by one error possibilities, so by replacing the mobo, I have eliminated intermittent contacts on socket and also within board traces.
Today I was on a long chat with Intel and when the guy understod that was nothing else but pointing to a defective CPU, he issued an RMA and will return the CPU tomorrow and see if they will send me a new one... fingers crossed, I will get back.
When I've removed the CPU from the 2nd mobo, I have inspected very closely the contacts and all are OK. Also on the CPU, the contact micro plates could be seen if it was a contact or not. The plates are in an ovoid shape, so that when you close and lock the socket, the CPU will slightly move and you could see on the markings of the CPU if it was in contact with the mobo's pin or not, or anything suspect. All it was in order.

The Intel guy asked me about the memory and did not liked of being 1600MHz since the CPU can handle 1333MHz. I told him from what mobo hardware reports, the RAM is automatically set at 1333, the CPU at 3.4GHz and did not tweaked or overclocked anything.
I will see, now I'll have to wait until I'll get an answer back.

Did you try "GraphicsEnabler=No" ? I had to do that on boot each time until I ran multibeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back