Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] mobo: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: mobo: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 problem?

JamesBond and Vendetta, any other advice please?
Please read my previous post.

Have you tried different brands of flash drive? How long does it take for the installer to install to Unibeast?

Vendetta said:
Have you tried different brands of flash drive? How long does it take for the installer to install to Unibeast?

I was able to install lion over my existing SL system but now I have to figure out how to get my audio back. Also my usb wifi adapter doesn't always initialize when Lion boots. I followed the Unibeast guide and didn't have any KPs when I restarted and booted from the USB-HDD. I'm using a dedicated vid card though. I don't have a cpu with onboard graphics that lion supports. (AFAIK.) Prior to my Lion install, my SL install was working beautifully. I was able to get it out of sleep but would have the usb error. Other than that, it was fine. I did have to use hdmi for the vid card for the system to boot up since the onboard gpu didn't work with SL.

I am just reading something about the audio for this motherboard after the Lion install. I'm installing the patched audio kext and will see if it works after install and reboot.

Vendetta said:

Yes, I have tried with a Lexar 8Gb and Kingston 16Gb. Also I have tried on front and back USB connectors but since you suggested, only from the back on USB2 only (red connectors, not blue)
When making the flash it generally takes about 15-30 minutes. On my MacBookPro (dual core) is taking close to 30 minutes or so and trying to do the same stick over on my wife's MacBook Pro (quad core) is taking about 15 mintes or so.

I am sure it is something basic, something that drives me nuts of not being able to reach the installer. I am thinking to try with an older version of Unibeast, but can not find it.

After the reply above, I considered to connect another drive and install Windows, just for the sake of it. I have a legit DVD Windows 7 business. It starts OK, loading files, setting up the language, everything and then when it says "loading files" after few secs I get a blue window (the windows kernel panic) saying that the installation stopped to further do damage. (?!?!?)

So that means something fishy is with the hardware (mobo, mem). Is there a good program to try or buy to test this motherboard and make sure I don't keep trying to install Os X like nuts on something defective? Please advise.

Update: I have downgraded BIOS from F10 to F9 and tried it again with both Os X and Windows, still the same.
Should I buy a new mobo, exact same or is it possible to be something else, like the expensive CPU?

Have you tried different ram?

I have this exact same board but I'm using it with a Pentium G620 CPU and instead of using the onboard video I'm using a 1GB GTS 250 pci-e card.

I had initial problems with getting my system to post which turned out to be that my memory was bad.

It seems that this board is very sensitive to memory related issues.

doctorevil30564 said:
You may want to try memtest86 on it. http://www.memtest86.com/
Thanks for the ideas bro! I will test the mem anyway. However, I tried with only on SIMM of 4Gb and than replaced it and still the same. The RAM is Corsair Vengeance 1600 and it is on the Gigabyte list of "approved" memories. Also on this system was installed Windows 7 and SL 10.6 but in one point it seems that Windows damaged the SL boot so at that point I said I will erase everything and start fresh with Lion. Ever since it started this nightmare... :(

I am ready to buy another mobo but I want to be sure it is not the CPU. How am I supposed to test the CPU without an OS, from an ISO or flash disk?

that's a good idea to go ahead and wipe everything out and start out fresh.

I did a google search for bootable cpu testing tools and found this http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm

I haven't tried it myself though, but it might be worth a check since it's made by intel

doctorevil30564 said:
that's a good idea to go ahead and wipe everything out and start out fresh.

I did a google search for bootable cpu testing tools and found this http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm

I haven't tried it myself though, but it might be worth a check since it's made by intel

The problem with most CPU programs, including the ones from Intel are based on Windows. So "if you may have a defective CPU, please boot in windoze and run the test"??? How stupid is that?

I found and used this: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ a bunch of utilities for entire system, dos based on a bootable CD. I tried it out but any test that I want to run it will freeze at one point, even more, on some app it displayed "kernel panic.... " so after all, my system is screwed BUT I do not know for sure if it is the CPU or the mobo. I hope very much that is not the CPU. Probably I will have to go blind and go ahead and buy the same mobo again.
From the point I stand, I don't see how to localize precisely if it is screwed some mobo path that the CPU depends on it, or the CPU itself, some part of it (it still boots and runs up to an early point in the process).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back