Contribute
Register

[Solved] HDD Not detected after moving Sierra from HDD to SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duuuude, I can't thank you enough for this, seriously.

Took the drive to a friends PC, plugged in both sata power and sata data, drive got instantly recognized both by BIOS and Windows. Performed the steps you said above and I had a fully recognized formatted HDD.

Couple of questions:

1) What I did via the command prompt, is that the equivalent of doing it via the Windows drive manager through the UI? Just curious.

2) It seems that I am unable to write to this disk. Later on I plan on having both Windows and Mac (dual boot) on the SSD and use the HDD for storage of files only. How can I go about having an HDD which I can read/write on both operating systems? is that possible? EDIT: Googled up a bit and found a couple alternatives. One was formatting the drive as exFat which can be read by both OS, however many users pointed out they had multiple errors and drives getting corrupted. Another alternative I found was leaving the drive as NFTS and using something like Paragon to be able to read/write to NFTS drives. Third alternative I found was partitioning the drive and configuring one partition as NTFS in which Windows files would be written and the other partition formatted in HFS+ where macOS files would be written, I guess I won't be able to share files this way but well, its still a possibility since it would allow me to use the same HDD across both OS. Thoughts?

3) How can I go about being able to monitor my CPU - GPU - Memory temperatures on Sierra? After reading quite a bit I think it's not that easy as in Windows and I'll have to mess with a couple kexts, right? If so, do you happen to know how to accomplish this?

Thank you so so much!

PD: Still curious as to why it didn't show up on BIOS nor Sierra, but well, rest assured the drive ain't faulty at all ! Left a couple images for you to see how everything is configured as of now.
1) What I did via the command prompt, is that the equivalent of doing it via the Windows drive manager through the UI? Just curious.

I suggested the use of CLI instead of GUI before you posted that you could easily access the previously CLOVER- inaccessible Sierra SSD because Command Line Interface is more Powerful and removal of partitions, recreation of new partitions and formatting are much easier in CLI for me especially with a disk that has been partitioned and formatted in a different OS.

2) It seems that I am unable to write to this disk. Later on I plan on having both Windows and Mac (dual boot) on the SSD and use the HDD for storage of files only. How can I go about having an HDD which I can read/write on both operating systems?

If you want to use any disk as a storage to be shared between Windows/Mac/Linux, my favorite is "exFat". It's like FAT32, but without the 4 GB file size limit. You can use exFAT drives on Windows/Mac/Linux with full read-write support, but you'll need to install a few packages first in Linux to enble mounting of exFat formatted disk. In my UbuntuStudio, I had to install exfat-fuse and exfat-utils using "sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils" command .Hope this helps you.

3) How can I go about being able to monitor my CPU - GPU - Memory temperatures on Sierra?
Monit from Apple Store may be what you are looking for. It is not a Freeware.

Vital Signs is a freeware that works in Sierra. You may look it up here: https://www.creationalstate.com/vitalsigns/index.html

If you want to use any disk as a storage to be shared between Windows/Mac/Linux, my favorite is "exFat". It's like FAT32, but without the 4 GB file size limit. You can use exFAT drives on Windows/Mac/Linux with full read-write support, but you'll need to install a few packages first in Linux to enble mounting of exFat formatted disk. In my UbuntuStudio, I had to install exfat-fuse and exfat-utils using "sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils" command .Hope this helps you.

You sure I should go with exFat? I read lots of people having corruption issues while using exFat to share files between both drives and a couple of em opted for NFTS to guarantee stability on the Windows side and getting something such as Paragon NTFS to handle the drive on the macOS side. I'm not judging here of course since I'm far more inexperienced than you, I just want to double check to avoid any further issues with this drive. As for linux, I won't be installing Linux at all, all I want to dual boot is win10 and macOS Sierra.

You sure I should go with exFat? I read lots of people having corruption issues while using exFat to share files between both drives and a couple of em opted for NFTS to guarantee stability on the Windows side and getting something such as Paragon NTFS to handle the drive on the macOS side. I'm not judging here of course since I'm far more inexperienced than you, I just want to double check to avoid any further issues with this drive. As for linux, I won't be installing Linux at all, all I want to dual boot is win10 and macOS Sierra.
If you install Paragon NTFS for Mac in Mac side and Paragon HFS+ for Windows for Windows 10 that will be the best . It is not free. I have them in a few of my multiboot systems along with Paragon ExtFS to access Linux system.
Please note, if you buy Seagate SATA HDDs, you can get Paragon NTFS and HFS drivers for Free! http://www.seagate.com/support/software/paragon/
For this reason I buy sgt drives as WD does not provide this freebie!
For my external Drives I use exFAT formatting and create Folders for Win/Mac/Linux . I had experienced no problems for the past several years I have been using this method both on Hard disk drives and Flash Disks (64-256GB). You may format a small (Example: 32GB) USB FD in exFAT as a trial to verify its strengths and weaknesses.

If you install Paragon NTFS for Mac in Mac side and Paragon HFS+ for Windows for Windows 10 that will be the best .

Why would I need to install both?

Let me get this straight, as far as I know I'd be formatting the drive either into NTFS which I'll be able to read/write to the drive natively via Windows and read/write normally after Paragon NTFS is installed or the other option which would be formatting as HFS+ which I'll be able to read/write natively via macOS and read/write normally after Paragon HFS+ is installed. Correct? There's no need to install both as you pointed out, right? If you consider this to be the absolute best performance regardless of it not being free, would you recommend formatting the drive as ntfs or hfs+?

Also, awesome tip on the Seagate drives, was totally unaware of that.

To cover all cases lol, in the event of me choosing exFat, would it be the same to format it via Disk Utility or Windows?

Thanks again!

Why would I need to install both?

Windows 10 system is installed on NTFS formatted HDD or SSD . MacOS Sierra System SATA HDD or SSD is installed in macOS Extended (Journaled) format .

Windows 10 cannot read a file in in HFS+ format nor write to a file in the Mac Hard disk. Windows 10 requires an HFS+- aware driver; HFS+ from Paragon provides that.

Mac OS can read a file created in Windows 10 with its NTFS files System but cannot write on to that file; you won't be able to edit from Mac a file you can read!. The required NTFS driver is Provided by Paragon NTFS. dmg that you would be installing on that system.

A filesystem that can be read and written to by both Mac and Windows is FAT32. But it has a Size limit. You cannot create a File larger than 4GB! exFat has no such File size limit.

• You can format a disk in FAT32, NTFS or exFat from Right click > Format Method in Windows 10
  • You can use Disk Utility in Hackintosh to format a disk in FAT32, NTFS or exFAT as well as MacOS Extended.

Attachments

• Format disk in Windows 10.png
    Format disk in Windows 10.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Format in Mac DU.png
    Format in Mac DU.png
    85 KB · Views: 94
Windows 10 system is installed on NTFS formatted HDD or SSD . MacOS Sierra System SATA HDD or SSD is installed in macOS Extended (Journaled) format .

Windows 10 cannot read a file in in HFS+ format nor write to a file in the Mac Hard disk. Windows 10 requires an HFS+- aware driver; HFS+ from Paragon provides that.

Mac OS can read a file created in Windows 10 with its NTFS files System but cannot write on to that file; you won't be able to edit from Mac a file you can read!. The required NTFS driver is Provided by Paragon NTFS. dmg that you would be installing on that system.

A filesystem that can be read and written to by both Mac and Windows is FAT32. But it has a Size limit. You cannot create a File larger than 4GB! exFat has no such File size limit.

• You can format a disk in FAT32, NTFS or exFat from Right click > Format Method in Windows 10
  • You can use Disk Utility in Hackintosh to format a disk in FAT32, NTFS or exFAT as well as MacOS Extended.

Finally decided to give exFAT a try before spending any money on software I might not need, will keep you posted on how that goes. Will install Paragon drivers in the event of a disk failure.

Probably final question (sorry to keep bugging you lol), do you happen to know how can I choose where to install software/programs? For programs which require an installer, the "Destination Select" step is instantly skipped and on installation type it says "Office 2016 will be installed to Sierra SSD" and it doesn't let me choose to install to an HDD, and I want to keep as many programs as I can on my HDD, since my SSD is not that big, will even has less space once I add Windows in there. That's for the installer way to install apps.
As for the type of apps which I need to simply move to the applications folder, I guess those are also going to the SSD and not the HDD since my applications folder is located on my ssd, of course. Did a quick google search but since I guess Macs don't come with multiple drives there isn't much info out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back