Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
GTX 1080
Hello,

I had this issue (General choppiness and lag on fresh HDD Sierra install), and I was advised to switch the installation to an SSD for better performance, so I did. Now I wish to use my HDD as a storage media such as music, movies, etc. But it is no longer detected on Sierra nor clover at startup... Anyone knows how to make Sierra detect it so I can wipe it and use it as a storage HDD?

This is my Disk Utility window

sflKajB.png

Hello,

I had this issue (General choppiness and lag on fresh HDD Sierra install), and I was advised to switch the installation to an SSD for better performance, so I did. Now I wish to use my HDD as a storage media such as music, movies, etc. But it is no longer detected on Sierra nor clover at startup... Anyone knows how to make Sierra detect it so I can wipe it and use it as a storage HDD?

This is my Disk Utility window

sflKajB.png

From your description of the problem it appears you cannot see the SATA HDD with previous Sierra in CLOVER Boot Manager screen nor in Disk Utility in macOS Sierra Desktop >Applications.Disk Utility and possibly through Terminal>diskutil list command also. If that is the case:

Can you see your SATA HDD in your BIOS?
Did you have this PCIE SSD currently with macOS Sierra in your Computer before or you just installed it?
If you have just installed it , did you by any chance disconnect the Power or SATA cable from the old SATA HDD?
These are some of the things I will be checking.

From your description of the problem it appears you cannot see the SATA HDD with previous Sierra in CLOVER Boot Manager screen nor in Disk Utility in macOS Sierra Desktop >Applications.Disk Utility and possibly through Terminal>diskutil list command also. If that is the case:

Correct.

Can you see your SATA HDD in your BIOS?
Did you have this PCIE SSD currently with macOS Sierra in your Computer before or you just installed it?
If you have just installed it , did you by any chance disconnect the Power or SATA cable from the old SATA HDD?
These are some of the things I will be checking.

I just checked that and it seems bios doesnt detect the hdd at all. check pictures.

As for the PCIE SSD, it was completely disconnected when I installed it on the HDD.

pics:
http://imgur.com/a/uuxOc

Also, no clue why theres so many partitions (check pic).

Correct.

I just checked that and it seems bios doesnt detect the hdd at all. check pictures.

As for the PCIE SSD, it was completely disconnected when I installed it on the HDD.

pics:
http://imgur.com/a/uuxOc

Also, no clue why theres so many partitions (check pic).
I have not seen the image. As a matter of routine I see images uploaded to this Forum only . Through our questions and answers others can have the benefit of learning by reading the postings here.
Please upload all files [including image (s)] to this Forum . Please note the [Upload a File] button just below and to the right of message box. Click [Upload a File] button, navigate to your File source folder in your Computer, and then click and select it to upload.
Thanks.

I have not seen the image. As a matter of routine I see images uploaded to this Forum only . Through our questions and answers others can have the benefit of learning by reading the postings here.
Please upload all files [including image (s)] to this Forum . Please note the [Upload a File] button just below and to the right of message box. Click [Upload a File] button, navigate to your File source folder in your Computer, and then click and select it to upload.
Thanks.

Done!

Attachments

• IMG_20170508_212349318.jpg
    IMG_20170508_212349318.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20170508_212414663.jpg
    IMG_20170508_212414663.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20170508_212426518.jpg
    IMG_20170508_212426518.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 145
Bumping this up!

Bumping this up!
Please read the rules.
Bumping a thread is allowed after waiting at least 24 hours with no more than one bump per day.

Please read the rules.
Bumping a thread is allowed after waiting at least 24 hours with no more than one bump per day.

Gotcha. I apologize, I just need this HDD to show up so I can install stuff. But yeah, noted.

Thank you for the images. The Multiple "copies" of your SSD disk partitions noted are not unusual and they are more a 'cosmetic issue' than functional.I assume they are from NVRAM probably related to CLOVER.

If you find them 'irritating', you can get rid of them either through "bcfg boot dump" command to "list" them followed by "bcfg boot rm" command at the CLOVER Boot Manager command prompt (>) menu to remove them followed by the "exit" command to get back to the CLOVER Boot menu. [or better still if you have a Windows 10 disk in this system booted through CLOVER Boot Manager screen , then in Windows 10 desktop, download and launch EasyUEFI and use that to "hide" unwanted Partitions leaving only one copy you want to see.]
From the evidences you have given so far for the missing SATA HDD, my conclusion is one of the following:
  • The 'missing SATA HDD with Sierra on it' is accidentally disconnected from the Motherboard (ether Power or SATA cable to the disk not fully seated):...> Turn Off PC> Remove Power Cable to the Case. Under Electrostatic precautions, remove and reinsert SAT PWR and SATA Data cables to the HDD and reboot and check in the BIOS
  • The CMOS setup is corrupted : .....> "Clear CMOS" by shunting (shorting) the CMOS pins on the Motherboard for 30 seconds with a flat tipped screw driver or remove the CMOS Coin battery for 30 seconds and then reinserting it in its socket.
  • Aggressive Link Power Management Support in the BIOS Enabled (after above step if BIOS does not show the disk):...> try disabling ALPM support and see if the disk will show up.
  • The missing SATA HDD is really damaged , this is irremediable!:(

Thank you for the images. The Multiple "copies" of your SSD disk partitions noted are not unusual and they are more a 'cosmetic issue' than functional.I assume they are from NVRAM probably related to CLOVER.

If you find them 'irritating', you can get rid of them either through "bcfg boot dump" command to "list" them followed by "bcfg boot rm" command at the CLOVER Boot Manager command prompt (>) menu to remove them followed by the "exit" command to get back to the CLOVER Boot menu. [or better still if you have a Windows 10 disk in this system booted through CLOVER Boot Manager screen , then in Windows 10 desktop, download and launch EasyUEFI and use that to "hide" unwanted Partitions leaving only one copy you want to see.]
From the evidences you have given so far for the missing SATA HDD, my conclusion is one of the following:
  • The 'missing SATA HDD with Sierra on it' is accidentally disconnected from the Motherboard (ether Power or SATA cable to the disk not fully seated):...> Turn Off PC> Remove Power Cable to the Case. Under Electrostatic precautions, remove and reinsert SAT PWR and SATA Data cables to the HDD and reboot and check in the BIOS
  • The CMOS setup is corrupted : .....> "Clear CMOS" by shunting (shorting) the CMOS pins on the Motherboard for 30 seconds with a flat tipped screw driver or remove the CMOS Coin battery for 30 seconds and then reinserting it in its socket.
  • Aggressive Link Power Management Support in the BIOS Enabled (after above step if BIOS does not show the disk):...> try disabling ALPM support and see if the disk will show up.
  • The missing SATA HDD is really damaged , this is irremediable!:(

Removed both SATA data and SATA power, issue remains.

As for the CMOS setup thingy, won't that reset BIOS settings to its defaults? If so my current Sierra install would become unbootable, correct (as I had to tweak the BIOS a little bit in order to install Sierra, of course)?

As for ALPM, I couldn't find that option in my motherboards BIOS.

This is so weird, it was working just fine when I installed it to the HDD, when I moved it to the SSD things screwed up god knows why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back