GTX 780 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. Xserve
Hi,

I have some problems with a GTX780ti a a fresh installed hackintosh system. It basically built upon:

Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
CPU: Intel i5-4690K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1333MHz
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX780Ti 3GB

The installation went smooth, had no problems at all. The system is running very smooth and fast. I only have one problem with the graphics adapter. It's showing a strange (distorted rainbow like pattern) at the login/user selection screen and sometimes icons are not drawn like they should. Also (sometimes) when i watch a youtube video, the pre-advertisement commercial is totally distorted (mostly purple), but when the actual video starts the distortion is gone and it works fine.. even 4K running ultra smooth.

The system detected the GPU as the correct type, in the "about this Mac" dialog its detected as:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3071 MB

So after reading some topics on the forums, i suspected that i had to install the NVIDIA web driver to let my GPU work properly. I installed the latest driver from the NVIDIA website (version 378.05.05.25f01) and i modified my plist file so that is should load the driver. Only i suspect that the driver still isn't working.. how can i see that the system is actually using the NVIDIA driver?

I have added some screenshots with system information and some shots of the problems/artefact.

Help is appreciated very much. Thank you.

Best regards,

Bastiaan

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

I solved the glitchy icons by disabling the onboard Intel graphics. Which was re-enabled by accident when i restored the BIOS defaults.

Still the problem of the scrambled login screen background remains a mystery..

I was having the same problem with a similar system (see specs below). After installing 10.12.6, I used the NVIDIA Driver Manager to check for an update (it found one) so I installed web driver 378.05.05.25f01. Unfortunately, although everything appeared to work, after rebooting it was obvious the new NVIDIA driver wasn't being used even though the NVIDIA Driver Manager said it was. Even updating the .plist file didn't do the trick.

Anyway, what finally worked was downloading WebDriver-378.05.05.25f01.pkg manually and running the installer myself (instead of using the NVIDIA Driver Manager hanging out in the menubar). After a reboot, my system was good to go. Maybe this will work for you?

Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU: Intel i5-4460
RAM: 16 GB 1600MHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 960 4095 MB

@dlh2109:
Thanks very much for your input, but I found the actual problem causing the rainbow styled/distored login screen this morning, apparently MacOS creates and blurred version of the current desktop wallpaper in "/Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop/admin.png". I suspect that MacOS tried to do this while my GPU wasn't working with the NVIDIA web drivers yet... and somehow that process failed. The thing is.. when you change your current desktop wallpaper MacOS generates that cache file again and the problem is solved :)

Hope this helps anybody..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back