Contribute
Register

SOLVED: GA-Z170M USB 3.0 Ports don't work (only one works)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
thanks for your support.
I had some time yesterday and figured it out.
The problem was - as assumed - the 15 ports limit. Only 15 ports can be activated by OS X. A USB 3.0 port on the board uses a USB 2.0 port and one USB 3.0 port software side.
I installed the USBInjectAll Kext (as provided by you and as guided in the forum post I posted before).
I found that this way is described on this tonymacx86 here as well, but a little more cumbersome than on the german site.

I fixed the not working USB ports in the following way:
1. Download IORegistry Explorer
2. Install the USBInjectAll Kext (I tried it, it doesn't work without - even though my USB ports were activated, but it seems to be not possible to deactivate ports via boot arguments without this kext)
3. Open IORegistry Explorer, Plug in a USB 2.0 device (doesn't have to be a stick) in all ports, step by step.
4. Write down the "HSXX" (USB 2.0) or "SSXX" (USB 3.0) identifier of each port that gets active.
5. Now deactivate all the ports that you didn't use with the uia_exclude boot flag.
6. Reboot
7. Now the "useless ports" ports which are not used by USB are deactivated and OS X can fill the 15 ports with new ones.
There will be some new ports now, figure out if these are needed.
8. If every USB 2.0 port is active, use a USB 3.0 device and use it on each port step by step, write down the needed "HSXX" identifiers.
9. Repeat until everything is fine

Note: On my board (GA-Z170X-D3H) the boot-flag looks like this:
uia_exclude=HS07;HS08;HS09;HS10;HS11;HS12;USR1;USR2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back