Contribute
Register

Solved> Disable system file protection in Big Sur!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Failed to delete the Snapshot, which was probably created by my mistake, could someone help me to fix it?
After latest Big Sur update on my root volume created strange Snapshot, I tried to delete it under Recovery mode, but I got error -69863: Insufficient privileges:

diskutil apfs deleteSnapshot disk4s5 -uuid 0FFE862F-86C8-43AE-A1E0-DFFF7A6D7F79
Deleting APFS Snapshot 0FFE873F-86C8-43AE-A1E0-DFFF7A6D7F79 "com.apple.os.update-1F1A728CE24DEE376C4DA4FC78D1EDD1F3979DFCGD34C413688A5923AD2E3CD8" from APFS Volume disk4s5
Started APFS operation
Error: -69863: Insufficient privileges

Attachments

• Pic01.png
    Pic01.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 395
Failed to delete the Snapshot, which was probably created by my mistake, could someone help me to fix it?
After latest Big Sur update on my root volume created strange Snapshot, I tried to delete it under Recovery mode, but I got error -69863: Insufficient privileges:

Deleting APFS Snapshot 0FFE873F-86C8-43AE-A1E0-DFFF7A6D7F79 "com.apple.os.update-1F1A728CE24DEE376C4DA4FC78D1EDD1F3979DFCGD34C413688A5923AD2E3CD8" from APFS Volume disk4s5
Started APFS operation

It is not strange it is perfectly normal however, if you would like it gone you can set securebootmodel to default. You can do that in Misc--->Security--->securebootmodel--->default

I guess it's not normal, I had never seen it before that the system disk container includes 3 volumes which one of them with such a strange name like:
com.apple.os.update-1F1A72.....
normaly is show up only 2 Volumes:
1. Big Sur
2. Big Sur - Data

but by me is 3 volumes:

1. Big Sur (+ is unmounted):(
2. com.apple.os.update-1F1A72.....
3. Big Sur - Data

and by the way, by change "securebootmodel" to some other: 'default' or 'disable' does not make any changes
and volume com.apple.os.update-1F1A72..... it still in place! :banghead:

the problem is that I can't manage "Disable system file protection" so that by command: sudo mount -uw / I get error message:
sudo mount -uw /
mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Permission denied
mount: / failed with 66

Started APFS operation
A word of caution - The Snap Shot partition/volume was created by Apple to enhance Security and to improve how future updates are delivered and installed. Deleting the Snap Shot prevents future OS X updates, many hack users that went the route of deleting the Snap Shot, found that even though the updates were delivered to their machines, they were offered a full install of 11gbs to 12gbs opposed to the incremental update of 3gbs to 4gbs.
The snag comes about because the update looks for the previously installed Snap Shot, when it is not found, the update stalls or only a full one is offered.

This is a cycle best to avoid as you would have to do this each time if that is your inclination. I wrote about this folly sometime back and I am quite surprise people are still opting to delete. If this next statement makes any sense considering I am talking about a non Apple machine, I try my upmost to have a vanilla install as best and close as possible to Apple's offering, I realise that is not always possible as one may have to do a tweak here and there but if it is avoidable, I leave as intended. Hope this helps someone out there but as the saying goes..... 'Every man to his own'. :)

I guess it's not normal, I had never seen it before that the system disk container includes 3 volumes which one of them with such a strange name like:
com.apple.os.update-1F1A72.....
normaly is show up only 2 Volumes:
1. Big Sur
2. Big Sur - Data

but by me is 3 volumes:

1. Big Sur (+ is unmounted):(
2. com.apple.os.update-1F1A72.....
3. Big Sur - Data

and by the way, by change "securebootmodel" to some other: 'default' or 'disable' does not make any changes
and volume com.apple.os.update-1F1A72..... it still in place! :banghead:

the problem is that I can't manage "Disable system file protection" so that by command: sudo mount -uw / I get error message:
sudo mount -uw /
mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Permission denied
mount: / failed with 66

It actually is the new normal the snapshot is supposed to be there like it or not. But you are welcome to keep trying to delete it or make it go away. Most changes made in OC especially since Big Sur updates need to have NVRAM rest.

A word of caution - The Snap Shot partition/volume was created by Apple to enhance Security and to improve how future updates are delivered and installed. Deleting the Snap Shot prevents future OS X updates, many hack users that went the route of deleting the Snap Shot, found that even though the updates were delivered to their machines, they were offered a full install of 11gbs to 12gbs opposed to the incremental update of 3gbs to 4gbs.
The snag comes about because the update looks for the previously installed Snap Shot, when it is not found, the update stalls or only a full one is offered.

This is a cycle best to avoid as you would have to do this each time if that is your inclination. I wrote about this folly sometime back and I am quite surprise people are still opting to delete. If this next statement makes any sense considering I am talking about a non Apple machine, I try my upmost to have a vanilla install as best and close as possible to Apple's offering, I realise that is not always possible as one may have to do a tweak here and there but if it is avoidable, I leave as intended. Hope this helps someone out there but as the saying goes..... 'Every man to his own'.
It actually is the new normal the snapshot is supposed to be there like it or not. But you are welcome to keep trying to delete it or make it go away. Most changes made in OC especially since Big Sur updates need to have NVRAM rest.
everything is clear and I agree with both of you, but what should I do if I need to run these commands, what method can I use in this situation?

sudo mount -uw /

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm still trying to get my head around Big Sur File System Security and this thread is very informative.

I have been trying to apply a described UPS Fix required because of the detection of my Corsair Commander Pro as a UPS on my Z490 Vision D. I eventually managed to to get Read/write Access to the Big Sur file system in order to do this and it was running fine for several days. I also had to learn about APFS SnapShots during the process in order to achieve this.

I booted up recently and my Corsair Commander Pro is being detected as a UPS again and I am no longer able to get Read/Write file system access to correct this as I did previously.

I noticed that I have a SnapShot that was created somewhere along the line and do not seem to be able to delete it (see attached).

Is anyone familiar with this subject? (I have applied 'csrutil disable' and 'csrutil authenticated-root disable' through Recovery Boot) but still have Read Only access.

Please advise what I can do?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-18 at 22.48.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-18 at 22.48.25.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 423
Deleting snapshots from new Big Sur 11.1 (20C69) is not possible anymore? Could someone provide more info about it?

Deleting snapshots from new Big Sur 11.1 (20C69) is not possible anymore? Could someone provide more info about it?
Why do you want to delete the Snapshot? The Snapshot is a security method incorporated into BS by Apple to stop nefarious software altering the OS frame work. As well as that security feature, deleting the Snapshot also impedes future updates which means a completely new down load and install each time. You are just involving your self in a never ending cycle of frustration but at the end of the day the choice is all yours.

Why do you want to delete the Snapshot?
OMG... I need this in order to put some files that I need on the system, then we can create a new snapshot, where is the problem?!.., before writing all the time about the "dangers" of deleting a snapshots, it would be better to suggest how to do it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back