Contribute
Register

[solved] Dell Inspiron 7568 - Stuck at DSMOS as arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mike. Apologies if I revive an old thread. I also have this laptop, and I'd like to contribute a guide for it, as well as try to install Sierra on my machine. I'd like to start writing a Markdown guide in Github with the necessary details.

- Are you still running OSX on your machine? If so, which hardware parts are still not working?
- Do you have any preliminary pointers on how to configure the installation media to get Clover to reach the installation screen?

Thanks for your time!

Yes, I've been very happily Hacktoshing on this machine for a few months now as my daily driver. I had to revert to El Cap (sorry, forgot to update my signature) to fix multiple driver issues. Mostly, all the hardware is working including WiFi/Bluetooth (with Broadcom card), UHD screen with touch, SD card reader, USB 3 on all ports, and sound (mostly). I'll reply again later tonight with my notes and kext links.

I had to revert to El Cap (sorry, forgot to update my signature) to fix multiple driver issues.

Thanks! So you reckon a Sierra installation might be more of a challenge?

Also, I'll start a repo on my Github account to write a guide. Thanks again!

Hi Mike. Apologies if I revive an old thread. I also have this laptop, and I'd like to contribute a guide for it, as well as try to install Sierra on my machine. I'd like to start writing a Markdown guide in Github with the necessary details.

- Are you still running OSX on your machine? If so, which hardware parts are still not working?
- Do you have any preliminary pointers on how to configure the installation media to get Clover to reach the installation screen?

Thanks for your time!

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
("Personal Details" link from "profile menu" in upper right corner of this site)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/personal-details

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

Alright @michmill. I took the plunge and tried to tailor a set of kexts and a config.plist file for this machine.

Here are my notes in case they are useful. https://github.com/jjzazuet/macos-guides/blob/master/inspiron-7580.md

The machine seems to run pretty smoothly. Better than having it run Windows or Linux (I tried running Fedora 25 and Ubuntu 16.10 on it, but didn't like the graphics performance :().

So yeah, I'm now happily running on Sierra 10.12.3.

*Massive* props to @RehabMan ! It's mostly your Kernel extensions that allow this hardware to run with little or no DSDT patching. How cool is that?!?!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back