Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
First I would like to say that this forum is very welcomed, as the comment section on each tutorial sometimes got a bit confusing.

So, this is my problem.
I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6, a nVidia GTX 260 and an intel core i5 750.

I've tried the CD method but to no avail. It goes all the way till it's supposed to show the language select screen but one of two things happen:
- With default and beta 1 cd, it just turns the display off and nothing happens.
- With the beta 3 cd it shows a black screen (different from turning the display off)

If I use -x, it reboots on the default and beta 1 cd's and KP on the beta 3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Can't get to the installation

Hi Jantunes.

I have the same board and got things going with Tony's awesome documentation and boot cd contributions (thanks Tony!), so I can tell you your board is fine. Sounds like the same problems I had with my Radeon 4670 card (Gigabyte GV-R467ZL-1GI) when trying to install. I finally got things installed using another card, GeForce 9600 GSO 512 (Asus EN9600GSO/DI/512MD3/V2) and it went right into setup without issue.

Have you tried using different outputs on your card, i.e., vga, dvi-to-vga, hdmi?

I'm currently looking at actually getting a GTS 250 which I've heard works well under OS X, but would think the 260 you have should work, may just need an EFI string in boot.plist... Quoting from http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.2#NVIDIA_2 :

Works with adding EFI String from OSX86Tool for a 9800GTX DDL with Chameleon RC3. Still haven't gotten it working with Chameleon RC4. How it works with the 9800GTX DDL injection is beyond me, but it works!

Let us know how it goes...

To make it easier, I recommend you to go to frys or somewhere to get a cheaper graphic card. In my case, I get the 8400 GT from frys and install Snow leopard with no problem what so ever.
After finishing your installation, you can go ahead and return the card if you don't wanna keep it any longer.

Good luck

Ken770 said:
Hi Jantunes.

I have the same board and got things going with Tony's awesome documentation and boot cd contributions (thanks Tony!), so I can tell you your board is fine. Sounds like the same problems I had with my Radeon 4670 card (Gigabyte GV-R467ZL-1GI) when trying to install. I finally got things installed using another card, GeForce 9600 GSO 512 (Asus EN9600GSO/DI/512MD3/V2) and it went right into setup without issue.

Have you tried using different outputs on your card, i.e., vga, dvi-to-vga, hdmi?

I'm currently looking at actually getting a GTS 250 which I've heard works well under OS X, but would think the 260 you have should work, may just need an EFI string in boot.plist... Quoting from http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.2#NVIDIA_2 :

Works with adding EFI String from OSX86Tool for a 9800GTX DDL with Chameleon RC3. Still haven't gotten it working with Chameleon RC4. How it works with the 9800GTX DDL injection is beyond me, but it works!

Let us know how it goes...

Maybe if we do a special Boot CD with the EFI string from the 9800GTX? Hmmm

I can only use dvi-to-vga, as the gfx card doesn't output directly to vga and my monitor doesn't support hdmi or dvi.
I'll try the EFI string on Friday, as I'm now studying for Algebra and I'm not very comfortable with it.
Thanks for all the help, guys.

The DVI to D-sub adapter shouldn't cause any kind of problems, as its simply using the analog part of the DVI connector and interfaces that with the suitable pins on the D-sub end. And if it works normally under whatever other OS you're running on the system, it's not going to cause any problems for OSX.

Actually, I might be wrong, it seems like OSX only outputs a digital signal on some graphics cards and as such a DVI to D-sub dongle wouldn't do squat...

I got similar problems with installation.

I have tried CD method with tonymacx86-P55BootCD-ASUS and tonymacx86-P55BootCD-beta3 but no go.

After a while the screen turns black and the CD is spinning few seconds but nothing else happens?

Btw. I'm on Asus P7P55D motherboard, i5 and Palit geforce GTX 260.
Tried with D-sub and DVI-connection it doesn't help either.

Could it be GTX 260 that causes problems?

tonymacx86 said:
Maybe if we do a special Boot CD with the EFI string from the 9800GTX? Hmmm

Just ran Efi Studio and stuck the 9800GTX sting into the boot.plist. Here's the iso- could anyone with a nVidia 2xx card test it?
Public/tonymacx86-nv2xx.iso.zip

tonymacx86 said:
Just ran Efi Studio and stuck the 9800GTX sting into the boot.plist. Here's the iso- could anyone with a nVidia 2xx card test it?

I just got a GTS 250 and am redoing system from scratch, so good timing. :) The new disc booted up and allowed me to go into setup perfectly. Nice resolution too. :) Didn't supply any arguments to the booter from the command-line, just went with the defaults. Worked for booting the hd after setup completed also, no problems. graphics are great for not tweaking anything yet. Thx again Tony! :D

Ken770 said:
tonymacx86 said:

I just got a GTS 250 and am redoing system from scratch, so good timing. :) The new disc booted up and allowed me to go into setup perfectly. Nice resolution too. :) Didn't supply any arguments to the booter from the command-line, just went with the defaults. Worked for booting the hd after setup completed also, no problems. graphics are great for not tweaking anything yet. Thx again Tony! :D

Awesome- that's great to hear that it works! I just posted it to the Boot CD post on the blog. Wonder if it will work on the other 2xx cards as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back