Contribute
Register

[Solved] Cannot use Nvidia web drivers after todays 10.13.6 security update?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
17G4005 would still be a 10.13.6 build number as that's the "G" series, but odd that your build much higher than 3025. Were you by chance running the macbook pro version of 10.13.6 before updating or were you on standard 16G65 or whatever the standard build number was (i already forgot)

17G4005 would still be a 10.13.6 build number as that's the "G" series, but odd that your build much higher than 3025. Were you by chance running the macbook pro version of 10.13.6 before updating or were you on standard 16G65 or whatever the standard build number was (i already forgot)

Was just running the standard 17G65 version prior to the App Store installing the Security update ...

The system seems just as stable as it ever was CPU and GPU benchmarks are all as good if not slightly better than before.

This system was registered with the Mojave beta program a long time ago so I could download the 10.14 beta, but i never installed the Mojave Beta (or the release version) on this system due to the lack of Nvidia Mojave drivers I copied the Mojave beta installer to my laptop and installed it on that, I de-registered this desktop system with the beta program a long time.

I cant find any info relating to MacOS 10.13.6 Build 17G4005 ...

I'm very confused as to whats occurred ....

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

If anyone is in the same predicament as me with somehow getting MacOS 10.13.6 build number 17G4005 after installing the latest security update and want to use the latest 387.10.10.10.40.108 Nvidia drivers here is how i did it.

I downloaded the 387.10.10.10.40.108 Nvidia drivers from the top link here :-

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...pdates-for-macos-high-sierra-update-11032018/

I then extracted the pkg in terminal using the command :-

pkgutil --expand (path to pkg) (target folder)

Next I edited the Distribution script file and commented out the MacOS Version Check :-

Code:
function InstallationCheck()
        {  
            // if (!validateSoftware()) return false;

return true;
        }

I then re-packed the installer using :-

pkgutil --flatten (source folder) (target file)

The procedure did not alter the signed driver certificate so no need to alter SIP

I was then able to run the patched pkg and install the 387.10.10.10.40.108 Nvidia drivers
Once installed I used @benjamin.dobell's script to patch the driver to work with my MacOS version.

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

Enter "N" to the first question (Download the 105 drivers)
Enter "Y" to the second question (Patch existing installed drivers)

Finally I repaired permissions and rebuilt the kernel caches.
After a reboot my system is now using the latest Nvidia High Sierra drivers on MacOS 10.13.6 Build 17G4005

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 18.15.06.png

GPU Benchmarks and system stability are all good, no degraded performance observed so far.

The new 387.10.10.10.40.108 drivers do seem to be an improvement over the 387.10.10.10.40.105 drivers that i previously had installed, less UI stutter and smoother animations so the exercise does seem to have been worth the effort.

If any one needs it I've attached the patched installer (no MacOS version check) below.

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.108-patched.pkg.zip
    59.8 MB · Views: 236
Last edited:
If any one needs it I've attached the patched installer (no MacOS version check) below.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for that. I never manage to patch properly when I have a headache. Can confirm this works, if anyone else needs it. No tearing at all, system recognizes the card and driver.

@iknimaya The script doesn’t flush kext cache, you can do this manually and then reboot and see if it solves. This worked for me.

sudo kextcache -i / && sudo kextcache -u /

Same issue here. Flushing the kext cache did the trick. Thank you!

Hey Guys,

Is it me or have Apple just updated the Security update again ?

Reading this thread it looks like you guys have installed the latest security update for High Sierra which has bumped your MacOS build number to 17G3025 which is what the just released Nvidia driver supports according to the list here :-

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...pdates-for-macos-high-sierra-update-11032018/

So knowing that an updated driver is available I installed the Security Update.

But my MacOS build number is Now 17G4005 and when I try to install the Nvidia 387.10.10.10.40.108 Drivers it complines the MacOS version ?

View attachment 362655

I've manually patched my existing 387.10.10.10.40.105 Nvidia drivers to get my GTX 980-Ti up and running again, but am a bit confused by the 17G4005 Build version as i think thats Mojave beta version of 10.14.2 but as you can see from the screen shot i'm clearly running High Sierra.

WTF ?

The patched 387.10.10.10.40.105 Nvidia drivers are running fine with full acceleration ...

Cheers
Jay

No idea why you got 17G4005. I just installed the security update (by directly downloading the update from the Apple site, not from App Store) on my 2012 Mac mini, and the build number is 17G3025, which is "normal".

No idea why you got 17G4005. I just installed the security update (by directly downloading the update from the Apple site, not from App Store) on my 2012 Mac mini, and the build number is 17G3025, which is "normal".

@Jamesbond007,

Yes it is puzzling .... but the system seems 100% stable with Build 17G4005, still have not been able to find any reference to it.

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back