Contribute
Register

[Solved] Boot Flags - El Capitan to High Sierra - Anything changed? Update sticks on Apple Logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68XP-UD3 (U1J - UEFI BIOS)
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 6870
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
For background, I'm running:
  • GA-Z68XP-UD3 (U1J - UEFI BIOS)
  • Intel Core i7-2600K (3.4GHz) - 1155 Socket [SandyBridge]
  • Sapphire ATI HD 6870
  • Clover UEFI Bootloader: Version 4630.
I've recently upgraded my system from Lion to El Capitan (including making the change from Legacy to UEFI boot) - one additional boot flag (CPUS=1) and all fine.
I'm now trying to make the next leap to High Sierra (via both Direct Update, and UniBeast installer - following the TonyMac guides), and failing at the same point on both.
I've added the current FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement and RealtekRTL8111 kexts in the 'EFI\Clover\kexts\Other' folder...
I've copied apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/...
I've re-added ‘OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi’ to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ after updating Clover wiped it...
My Config.plist only has CPUS=1 and dart=0 on boot - otherwise completely standard.

I've got the update partition displaying in Clover fine, and I can still boot to my El Capitan partition fine. However when I try to load the High Sierra Update partition, I get Stuck on the Apple Logo.
When I run with -v and debug=0x100 (verbose and don't reboot on debug), I get the last loaded kext as org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement - and higher up in the log a "kernel extensions in backtrace" referencing com.apple.driver.AppleACPCIPlatform(6.1) - and it's dependencies.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing that's changed?

Is there anything obvious I'm missing that's changed?
If NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is causing a kernel panic try without it.

Thanks P1LGRIM! Ok, I think I've got past that hurdle...
Doing screenshots of it with (NullCPUPowerManagement) in place (in the 'EFI\Clover\kexts\Other' folder) :
With IMG_20180824_092511.jpg

and without:
Without IMG_20180824_092811.jpg

I've realised I was seeing it in both 'last loaded kext' and 'loaded kexts' before and after, not spotting they were different... fool... :banghead:

Now that's confirmed I do need it - Next hurdle, DiskImages... (heads to the search bar before asking...)

Last edited:
[I'm talking out loud here so I've got a record of my thought process in case I get distracted by work stuff mid-way though...]

I think I'm stumped again... excessive searching the TonyMac forum, and Googling, is only bringing up other Kernal Panic issues where the DiskImages kext has loaded without issue - struggling to find much info about what it even does...

I've found a page (that once translated) implies I need to try UseKernelCache=No - tried that and made no difference.

Looking back through those comparison screenshots:
With NullCPUPowerManagement: Kernel Panic on DiskImages
Without NullCPUPowerManagement: DiskImages loads fine. Kernel Panic on !A!ICPUPowerManagement

Going to have a poke around my BIOS for anything power related settings that might be impacting...

Last edited:
IMG_20180824_104403.jpg
Ok, from what I've read, HPET is required... Trying with Internal Graphics Standby modes off, just in case...)

[Update: No change... will revert back]

Found another third party site about my motherboard...
Made the following change / checks:
  • M.I.T. > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Features > CPU EIST Function = Disabled
No change. Reverting back.

Also confirmed that:
  • My Corsair RAM (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B) does support Intel XMP - no change required (Keep on Profile1)
  • Intel Virtualization Technology = Disabled
  • Peripherals > SATA Mode Selection = AHCI
  • BIOS Features > Boot Mode Selection = UEFI Only
  • BIOS Features > OS Type = Other OS
Then, compared recommended Kexts for my motherboard...
- In EFI/Clover/kexts/Other, They don't have NullCPUPowerManagement, but do have AppleALC / CodecCommander / Lilu / mXHCD (in addition to FakeSMC and RealtekRTL8111, that I already had).

Going to throw them in and hope for the best...
[Update: No change... reverting...]

Last edited:

Attachments

• log and plist.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.1 KB · Views: 123
Thanks for you help with this P1lgrim, it is hugely appreciated!
Just tried that config.plist (without NullCPUPowerManagement) - still loads my existing El Capitan install fine, but when trying the High Sierra macOS update, I'm getting:
IMG_20180824_121122.jpg

And with non-reboot flag (debug=0x100) turned on:
IMG_20180824_121223.jpg
Still appears to be crashing on Power Management

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.1 KB · Views: 142
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back